User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Everyone should be helping everyone out.
    I agree. I help whomever I can. Complete strangers. Why not? If I've got it to give, what's there to lose?
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Everyone should be helping everyone out.
    Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    I agree. I help whomever I can. Complete strangers. Why not? If I've got it to give, what's there to lose?
    Things are getting pretty tight for me financially so I'm glad you guys will let me stay with you for awhile. Don't worry, I'll slap on an apron and manage the household affairs. I ain't too proud to beg ya'll.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

I create a thread basically stating that it seems like alot of adults are leaning on their parents, and are still only getting by. Then I asked if these dependant adults will be equipped to care for *their* children when they get older. If not, what happens?

We seem to have gone off topic in a not-so-good way. Likely that was my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    HOW DARE FAMILY HELP ONE ANOTHER WHAT AN ABOMINATION OF NATURE
    That's not even close to the question I was trying to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Obviously I can't know the examples that you're thinking of so I'm only talking generally. I think we do have to be careful sometimes as outside observors we see only a fraction of the picture and the "give and take" can be over a lifetime and won't neccessarily be in terms of finance. How priceless is attention/company for the young and old?
    The refusal to offer money/time assistance to parents comes from my observations in nursing homes, Alzheimer's meetings, and assisted living facilities. Some of the other observations comes from co-workers or friends. So my view is admittedly myopic, which is why I used qualifiers. Also, I know that these behaviors don't necessarily indicate how these adults will treat their children. It only indicates how they treat their parents.

However, combine that with the fact that many people aren't very good with handling money in the long term, and you get the reason I was wondering about what's going to happen in the future. You are right in that I don't have the big picture with even the people that I've observed.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    There is a definite attitudinal difference between how women accumulate and spend money and how men accumulate and spend money. For instance, men are encouraged to take more calculated risk with their money in order to increase it, and while everyone is advised to save, more women are risk cautious and adverse when it comes to taking the money they've saved and earned and growing it through investing, stocks, etc. Women also tend to be more likely to buy what they don't need, make more unplanned purchases, and buy things as often as possible ("Hey I like that shirt so much I'm gonna get it in three different colors!").
    If I recall, it's just the opposite.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    yupp

all I know is my family is like this support children until out of undergrad then the kids are expected to take care of the parents in their old age. of course my parents will help out if needed finacially as long as were at least doing something to better ourselves/lifes and if they can. I mean I don't expect them to buy me a house or a car but I also don't expect them to let me starve either. Most likely after college I can't get a job to pay for shit I'll have to move back in with them even though I don't like this idea its not the end of the world. And btw with mental illness you don't always know just by looking at them so, yeah.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    If I recall, it's just the opposite.
    Opposite of what?

Check out the Journal of Financial Planning that's where I got it. http://www.fpaforfinancialplanning.o...port_Final.pdf which was a citation from some other article I can't find now.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

I don't think it's anyone's business what any family does.
    It's private. Period.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Opposite of what?

Check out the Journal of Financial Planning that's where I got it. http://www.fpaforfinancialplanning.o...port_Final.pdf which was a citation from some other article I can't find now.
    Perhaps it's only in first world countries where ladies squander their money. Microloans seem to think that women are the more responsible ones.

Perhaps it's only in first world countries where ladies squander their money. Perhaps I don't live in a first world country.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    Riots
    Are Riots a code-word for "Mass temper tantrum?"

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Question: Why do you care? Is it really your business what people decide to do with their money?
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.