User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Boredom

Legal:

-Take up yoga. It feels amazing!

-Go to music shows/art shows etc...a lot. You'll start to befriend people who you see there often.

-Go night-wandering... which can sometimes include:

-Create found art. (Make things out of trash and leave them for others to find) which goes along with...

-Ne experiments. Ne experiments would be something like doing something small (subtly changing the environment where a lot of people are present, leave a note a weird/cryptic note on a public seat, leaving little mementos or nick-nacks in random/unexpected places... etc) that has a chain-like reaction of creating thoughts in others or in some cases actions.

Illegal (don't read if you've got a problem with that!):

-Graffiti thought-provoking phrases in public places or
    wheatpaste interesting posters in public places; they're nearly impossible to take down: Wheatpasting: How to - Worldwide : citynoise.org

Also: hear are some interesting posters to paste :CWC Tools : Posters

-If you live near train tracks walk down them. If you happen by a freight train with an open car get on it for a while. You could also graffiti the train... think about how far it is likely to travel and how many people will see it.

-Steal things. See how much you can get away with by learning how to read people.

-If you do drugs, get really high/trip and go to a museum (especially art museum).

-Explore abandoned places/urban decay...you would be amazed at what you find.

I am not saying I do all of these things or endorse them. I've collected them from activities I partake in and some of my friends partake in. Just sayin' is all...

MBTI
    INTP

Look into various courses and workshops at your local community center and college. Even if it's basket weaving or something. If you are a single male you'll find good potential partners there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    Lately I've been bored a lot, sitting at home in my free time a lot watching television series, reading books, making big puzzles etc.

I need new stimuli!

Please give me ideas for things to do
    Boredom is a powerful emotion. And like all e-motions its purpose is to put you into motion.

But here you have a choice. You can be the tool of your emotion or you can tame your emotion.

You can tame your emotion by simply not obeying it. You can tame your emotion by doing nothing.

And by doing nothing and watching your emotion, you will find it has a beginning, a middle and and end. Yes, all emotions come to an end, quite naturally, all by themselves.

Yes, if you disobey, you will find your emotion is a paper tiger.

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by Chunes View Post
    Embark on a spiritual journey.
    A couple of hours for an entire spiritual journey?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    Legal:

-Take up yoga. It feels amazing!

-Go to music shows/art shows etc...a lot. You'll start to befriend people who you see there often.

-Go night-wandering... which can sometimes include:

-Create found art. (Make things out of trash and leave them for others to find) which goes along with...

-Ne experiments. Ne experiments would be something like doing something small (subtly changing the environment where a lot of people are present, leave a note a weird/cryptic note on a public seat, leaving little mementos or nick-nacks in random/unexpected places... etc) that has a chain-like reaction of creating thoughts in others or in some cases actions.

Illegal (don't read if you've got a problem with that!):

-Graffiti thought-provoking phrases in public places or
    wheatpaste interesting posters in public places; they're nearly impossible to take down: Wheatpasting: How to - Worldwide : citynoise.org

Also: hear are some interesting posters to paste :CWC Tools : Posters

-If you live near train tracks walk down them. If you happen by a freight train with an open car get on it for a while. You could also graffiti the train... think about how far it is likely to travel and how many people will see it.

-Steal things. See how much you can get away with by learning how to read people.

-If you do drugs, get really high/trip and go to a museum (especially art museum).

I am not saying I do all of these things or endorse them. I've collected them from activities I partake in and some of my friends partake in. Just sayin' is all...
    I especially like the idea of the thought provoking posters or graffiti. And tripping in a museum sounds like a hell of a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Boredom is a powerful emotion. And like all e-motions its purpose is to put you into motion.

But here you have a choice. You can be the tool of your emotion or you can tame your emotion.

You can tame your emotion by simply not obeying it. You can tame your emotion by doing nothing.

And by doing nothing and watching your emotion, you will find it has a beginning, a middle and and end. Yes, all emotions come to an end, quite naturally, all by themselves.

Yes, if you disobey, you will find your emotion is a paper tiger.

And rather than being a bored youth, you will start to become a mensch.
    ... Thanks, but I'd rather stick with not being bored in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    ... Thanks, but I'd rather stick with not being bored in the first place.
    What I mean to say is that boredom is an emotion like any other emotion. And of course emotions are invisible to us and we only see them when they drive us to do something.

In other words, emotions are automatic and ensure our survival.

However if we choose to thrive rather than just survive, we need to control our emotions rather than letting our emotions control us.

Also our dignity depends on being able to control our emotions. Only children are unable to control their emotions.

And boredom is the perfect place to start for boredom is a strong emotion.

So the first step is to disconnect the action from the emotion. This is difficult when a strong emotion is driving us.

But emotion is like fire - a poor master but a good servant.

What I mean to say is that boredom is an emotion like any other emotion. And of course emotions are invisible to us and we only see them when they drive us to do something.

However if we choose to thrive rather than just survive, we need to control our emotions rather than letting our emotions control us.

Also our dignity depends on being able to control our emotions. Only children are unable to control their emotions.

So the first step is to disconnect the action from the emotion. This is difficult when a strong emotion is driving us.

Shimmy, I agree with Victor here. Although I gave your suggestions on what to do when bored, I am never bored (seriously). I suppose the reason is because I can find interest in almost anything I am doing or be comfortable with doing nothing.

I think mindfulness plays a part in this: Mindfulness

MBTI
    SEXY

I've been in an old factory hall once and there were old museum pieces from some sort of second world war museum. We shot a short film there with some friends. It was brilliant.

I see. I am in fairly good control of my emotions. I most certainly don't act blindly on them, but the emotion of boredom is a trigger to action for me, if it wasn't, then my emotions wouldn't be a servant, they'd just be! The thread may seem like a bit of a personal rant, but it's really just one of the opportunities I grab to gather ideas for possible actions I can take.

Not letting your emotions guide you isn't dignity, it's failing to make full use of your potential.

I didn't expect a philosophical debate in this thread, I like it.

Shimmy, I agree with Victor here. Although I gave your suggestions on what to do when bored, I am never bored (seriously). I suppose the reason is because I can find interest in almost anything I am doing or be comfortable with doing nothing.

I'm usually interested in new things. However, the process of starting new things is in itself a great pleasure to me. This thread is to accumulate ideas to aid me in that.

Talk to homeless people. Seriously.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Talk to homeless people. Seriously.
    +1

Some are interesting.