User Tag List

123 Last

Post Can you mistype yourself?

Can a person mistype himself because other people know him better than he knows himself. Is that possible?
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

People on this forum mistype themselves daily, so I'm going with yes.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Other people can't know you better than you know yourself.

Can a person mistype himself because other people know him better than he knows himself. Is that possible?
    a) is that a logic test/game whatever?
    b) typing has nothing to do with "knowing" someone or oneself, it has to do with the ability to perceive something 'into' abstract 'terms', also with knowing those terms/patterns. people "know" others and them selfs in various ways/methods of perception that work with some consistency, but are not compatible with type.

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    No, you will always know yourself best, after all you've got all the information. But on another note, it is definitely possible to mistype yourself due to a lack of knowledge of MBTI, and other people who know MBTI better can tell you your type, even if you don't know it yourself.

observing gross obvious behavior (like "you are dirty and messy, you must be P") is nonsense anyway.

theory of mind is the only methodology that can accurately tell about cognitive functions, given that your understanding of typology is also based on theory of mind. which is difficult, as there can't be a textbook about thinking styles. you can not teach a thinking style, you can only point it out, to those who can already see it in reality. so you are always applying your own brand of typology.

others can know us better, IF they are considerably more evolved, in which case their theory of mind about us is above us and not just based on bat-echo like projections on the same level, which would be very unreliable. if it is above us, it's transcendent in-sight and as such its fairly objective.

we could have transcendent insight about our own ways of mental functioning, but we don't have to be on such a high level of transcendence. imho we can hardly ever know for sure, if we are looking at a hardcoded core function or at a software emulation of another thinking style, because the more we evolve, the more everything becomes flexible like a holodeck and you never know the man behind the curtain. when you have transcended type (the mind), you are objectively looking down into your level of type (your mind), yet your mind is not the same anymore, since transcendence changes the man behind the curtain, or his style. you can hardly apply your transcended perspective to your mind from the past, which was your original type. maybe if you have very good memory or a lot of diaries to analyze... or maybe not everyone's mind evolves into a holodeck of perspectives ...

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    I learn more and more about myself all the time. I think MBTI definitions are based on outward appearance and depending on certain things you can actually think you are different than you come across to other people. This is definatley the case for I types that dont feel like they always need validation from the outside world.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I agree with nanook on this one plus according to my father (he does actually do this stuff professionally..it's not mere hero worship) you can know someone too well to accurately type them.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    However, they are immune to your personal delusions. I use "you" in the general sense.

If you are depressed, have low self esteem, what have you, it's not impossible to identify with and value personality characteristics you wish you had.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    If you are depressed, have low self esteem, what have you, it's not impossible to identify with and value personality characteristics you wish you had.
    Yup, and I'd say anyone, not just people in a negative mental or emotion state, can fall victim to confirmation bias when typing themselves. I think it happens a lot.

Getting outside assessments of your type is very useful.