User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    If you are depressed, have low self esteem, what have you, it's not impossible to identify with and value personality characteristics you wish you had.
    Or you might focus on the negative traits. You really can't say that depression affects any individual one way or another.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

It is possible for people to have an inaccurate view of self. This is especially evident in their evaluation of their own skill. Some people think they have an IQ of 170, or that they are too stupid to learn math, or they have no ability to play an instrument, and then some think they are on their way to being a a pop star when they cannot sing in tune. In these same contexts there are often external people reinforcing these distorted views of self. If people can have such widely varied perceptions of self that demonstrate a clear break with reality, I'm not sure why they would naturally be accurate in the context of personality. And yet, the prejudicial snapshots that others use to type someone else without knowing much about them doesn't exactly suggest credibility.

My impression is that people are entirely capable of having distorted self-perceptions, but that others are not necessarily more accurate. Credibility is the issue. What makes the individual or the external person credible to evaluate accurately?
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

If you dont know yourself well enough, its really possible that you mistype yourself.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

the tetris effect:

"There is an actual psychological condition known as "The Tetris Effect." It is a condition where prolonged repetition of advanced brainwork causes you to repeat the behavior in real life. This first showed up when the popular game Tetris was released. Tetris required you fit falling blocks of different shapes into each other as they fall to create a line, which then disappears. This requires a large amount of spacial thinking and forces the player to think ahead to what will happen next. People soon became mentally addicted (different from physical addiction) to the game, and kept playing for extended periods of time repetitively. But after such prolonged mental activity, people wouldn't stop at just the game. People would walk down the street and see a bunch of boxes and line them up in there head, and try to stack trees so they fit each other.
    Similar cases that have nothing to do with Tetris have appeared ever since.... "
    (source)

so, don't ever try to figure out what Ti is about

haha...

"hello, i am estp"
    "well, hello - i think you are my dual"

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Yes, it's very possible.

I could think I'm a cold-hearted thinker, but comparing myself to some devastatingly rational people, perhaps I'm not so. I may have a biased understanding of what constitutes average thinking and feeling.

Same goes with other functions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I mistyped myself not because I didn't understand myself but because I didn't understand the system.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

i never understood why it was imperative for people to self-assess their type with regard to a system that defines more of the observable habits and external appearances of the types...

it is possible for discrepancies to arise when a person behaves like an SP, for example, but their internal nature is more like an NF..

-what people feel within themselves, what they concern themselves with mentally, etc., can differ a lot from what they express to others on the outside. -others might see them a lot differently than they see themselves.

which is valid?
    the projected persona? the internal personality?
    both? neither?

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.."
    -Oscar Wilde

carl jung's idea about his typology was, that it is concerned with what is consciously going on IN people. he developed his understanding of the cognitive styles while talking to clients, not in observing their behavior. so basically, they told him how they see things, what they see, what guides them, how they feel about stuff, what opinions they have, how they consciously justify/explain their decisions (which may actually have other unconscious reasons, that are not related to type but general psychology, i mean, if you ask sigmund freud for instance) ....

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Absolutely.

I'm confirmation of your premise.