MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    More for me!
    Of course! And there's no smug sense of moral superiority when you're DEAD.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I am one person, so sacrificing myself for 10 people is worthwhile. Their lives collectively are worth 10 times more than my one life.
    10 death row inmates are worth more than one innocent person?

You saying any ten lives, no matter how vile or useless, are worth more than your own?

just checking.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    10 death row inmates are worth more than one innocent person?

10 bums are worth more than one Stephen Hawking?
    That doesn't sound random.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    That doesn't sound random.
    I bet you'd feel like shit if that random draw ended up picking those 10 guys though, huh?
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

If it were people I don't know, I could care less. The world needs less people in my opinion.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I see what you're saying. I think priceless in this case would have to imply that life approaches infinity, rendering life invaluable except in cases where the value of each life comes into conflict, which necessitates some calculus, either based on your own morality or your own willingness to commit others to death in exchange for your own life.
    Oh. I would subscribe to every human life being equally valuable, whether it be a mass-murdering rapist or a perfect angelic child. (I also fully believe in justice being served and am not against the death penalty, but IMO a human life is a human life.)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENTP

I bet you'd feel like shit if that random draw ended up picking those 10 guys though, huh?
    Nah, I just want your rebuttals to actually reflect what I meant instead of some question not even asked in the first post.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)

MBTI
    INTx

I'd sacrifice the random people on all accounts.

I think most truly religious people would sacrifice themselves, but I don't think that the act would automatically be noble. The chance to score instant karma for their judgment into eternity seems too much a conflict of interest to really gauge one's morality for others well being over their own.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post

I think most truly religious people would sacrifice themselves, but I don't think that the act would automatically be noble. The chance to score instant karma for their judgment into eternity seems too much a conflict of interest to really gauge one's morality for others well being over their own.
    It depends on a person's religious views. For example I personally don't think there is any extra reward for "being good". If I want to do the right thing it is simply because it's the right thing to do. There is no extra reward beyond that.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by iamathousandapples View Post
    Of course! And there's no smug sense of moral superiority when you're DEAD.
    Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Oh. I would subscribe to every human life being equally valuable, whether it be a mass-murdering rapist or a perfect angelic child. (I also fully believe in justice being served and am not against the death penalty, but IMO a human life is a human life.)
    You'll have to explain that since I believe in the exact opposite, namely that you have to earn the right to be treated a certain way.

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post

Now that's an interesting point. Religious people are compromised by their belief in a Deity. Would they be compromised by their belief in a larger ethical Truth without an afterlife component?
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."