User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 138

  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I was talking about this with sanveane a while back.

    If you had to choose who would die:

    1. You or a random person?
    2. You or 10 random people?
    2. You or 100 random people?
    3. You or 1000 random people?
    4. You or 1 million random people?
    5. You or 1 billion random people?

    Be honest.
    Interesting

    Per day:

    Births: 356,201
    Deaths: 153,781
    Natural Increase: 202,419

    Now considering these are random and the population is clearly increasing at such a considerable rate I'm tempted to take the risk and go to a full 5 here

    The chance of someone important to me dying however in that case becomes apparent though so on that fact alone 3 seems more reasonable

    If the factor was not entirely random I might opt for 5

  2. #52
    Reptilian Snuggletron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    10
    Posts
    2,233

    Default

    could you live with the guilt?

    I think I'd die for each one, as long as I become one with teh universe after I'm obliterated.

  3. #53
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Billion randoms, because there is too meny people in the world allready. 2 or 3 billion would be better tho.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  4. #54
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    Edgar, you should watch out what you say.
    ...well, aren't you going to follow up with a threat or at least a moral chastising?

    Otherwise your comment looks like a jerking sessision without a moneyshot.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  5. #55
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    Interesting

    Per day:

    Births: 356,201
    Deaths: 153,781
    Natural Increase: 202,419

    Now considering these are random and the population is clearly increasing at such a considerable rate I'm tempted to take the risk and go to a full 5 here

    The chance of someone important to me dying however in that case becomes apparent though so on that fact alone 3 seems more reasonable

    If the factor was not entirely random I might opt for 5
    Good answer!
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  6. #56
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    The question is more interesting in a context of war.
    Like, when somebody say that he'd rather die than kill 100 people. The chooser has a machine gun and is facing a wave of soldiers that'd get shot by their own army if they didn't assault the place you're holding.

    Then what ? Would the guy let himself be killed after shooting 100 guys?
    How would the fact he either saw the whole attacking force at once or rather had squads arrive on the field one after another influence the decision?
    How would the risk to the shooter influence choice making ? -> Would they kill him for sure? What if he gives up after seeing a huge army? What if he shoots the first squad then realises that there are too many of them?

    What if the lives of others either did or didn't depend on the life of the shooter?
    What has history taught us about such war situations and how does the actual soldier lives through it as opposed as the image we have of that experience (media, national pride, heroes etc.) and how that image would influence our behavior in such a situation.

    Otherwise it's just another of these dumb 'what if something that'll never ever happen and never did happen happened?'
    Get real
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  7. #57
    nevermore lane777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    You know, I'm sorry, but I have to call bullshit on that.

    If that was true, you'd be dead long time ago. There are plenty of opportunities to risk/lose your life for a stranger, if that's the way you feel.
    This:

    Quote Originally Posted by LucrativeSid View Post
    Surely you can see the difference between proactively putting your life on the line or sacrificing it to save other people, versus avoiding being directly responsible for a person's death, can't you?
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

    INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

  8. #58
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lane777 View Post
    This:
    I guess my concept of "directly responsible" differs from yours.

    Just because someone asked me to choose, it wouldn't be any different from a natural disaster, or a random crisis. None of those things were brought upon by my actions, and I always have a choice to get involved if I felt like doing something.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  9. #59
    Allergic to Mornings ergophobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Because saving millions or billions of others is really just service to an idea.
    So an idea that saves just one person is inherently less compelling?

    If I understood you correctly - the sacrifice you speak of comes across as an exercise in self-aggrandizement rather than true sacrifice. The emphasis is less on the idea of saving the people or the value of their lives and on the how - the idea itself. This is assuming that the idea would belong to the person who would have to give up their life for the idea to work and to save all the other people.

  10. #60
    Senior Member Shimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    SEXY
    Posts
    1,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I would probably choose me up until about step 4. Then the probability becomes a little uncomfortable for getting someone I know. If I knew they were outside the monkey sphere it would be more of a weight of being alive vs. dealing with the total collapse caused by the world losing 1 billion people.
    +1

    I wouldn't even doubt about sacrificing a million people to safe my life. though maybe it would be different if I had to do it myself. Sacrificing a billion people I might not do. Cause I know more then six people so chances are that one of the people I love gets killed. I wouldn't really care about the economic issues though.

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] Ethical Question: Under what conditions would you kill someone?
    By Crabapple in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 07-30-2007, 09:54 PM
  2. Would you eat laboratory grown meat?
    By sdalek in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-02-2007, 01:46 PM
  3. What kind of essays would you prefer to write?
    By SolitaryWalker in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-16-2007, 03:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO