User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 138

  1. #41
    Allergic to Mornings ergophobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Strange question.

    At the heart of this question is a very disconcerting thought: how much does one value one's own life? Is it worth one other, ten others....No right answer here. Even a billion lives would mean less than the one I know and live, wouldn't it?

    I wonder the same thing as Jeno, what's the difference really between 100 and 1 billion people if they've done no harm and their fate lies in my hands. Why should there be a threshold and what determines where this threshold lies.

    The truth is, I value myself greatly and would almost always pick me. Not because the other people deserve to die but simply because I value my own life greatly. I am also aware of my own potential and what I have to offer the world.I don't have this information for others so really can't make an informed decision favoring them.

    Having said the above, sacrifice would make sense for people I love. I'd gladly give up my life for the few people I value MORE than my own life. If the odds of people I love getting selected in this random sample goes up to 1/6 - with a billion, then I'm out. They live, I'll take myself out.

  2. #42
    Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    568

    Default

    I'd probably choose myself, every time. I'd like to say I'd sacrifice myself for the sake of others, and it might even be the more logical choice (I mean, am I really worth the lives of a billion others on a grand scale?), but I have no idea how I'd behave if my life was actually threatened and considering the strength of the survival instinct, I doubt I'd end up a saviour.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

  3. #43
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lane777 View Post
    I would die to save one random (I'm a Christian).
    You know, I'm sorry, but I have to call bullshit on that.

    If that was true, you'd be dead long time ago. There are plenty of opportunities to risk/lose your life for a stranger, if that's the way you feel.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    You know, I'm sorry, but I have to call bullshit on that.

    If that was true, you'd be dead long time ago. There are plenty of opportunities to risk/lose your life for a stranger, if that's the way you feel.
    Surely you can see the difference between proactively putting your life on the line or sacrificing it to save other people, versus avoiding being directly responsible for a person's death, can't you?

  5. #45
    Phantonym
    Guest

    Default

    Honestly? My altruism quota is sub-zero this morning. If it was happening this very moment, I would let others die on all accounts.

    With any luck I hope I would never have to make that kind of a choice.

    Edit: Yeah, now I feel bad.
    Last edited by Phantonym; 10-07-2009 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Empathy kicking in...

  6. #46
    Branded with Satan murkrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    If no one I love dies then it could be any number.
    wails from the crypt.

  7. #47
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Honestly? My altruism quota is sub-zero this morning. If it was happening this very moment, I would let others die on all accounts.

    With any luck I hope I would never have to make that kind of a choice.

    Edit: Yeah, now I feel bad.
    Don't feel bad.

    Self-preservation is the most basic and automatic instinct. It is the very centerpiece of our animal consciousness. To live, to persist. This mechanism is ancient and powerful. It is tied to everything else: to sexuality, to our fears, to pain. Life is persistence. The more you desire to persist, the more life you have. Life is an assertion against death and disorder.

    Yet this is what makes sacrifice so interesting and potentially noble. To feel every fiber reaching for life but deciding to sacrifice one's self for an idea. Because saving millions or billions of others is really just service to an idea. Why is sacrifice compelling? It is both insane and sublime.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  8. #48
    Alexander the Terrible yenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Let's up the stakes to 1.3 billion.

    I'll choose me and hope that the entire draw falls on China.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Oh noez!!! Who will sell tainted infant formula then??!?!
    Edgar, you should watch out what you say.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

    "In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

    Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

  9. #49
    Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,808

    Default

    1. Random person
    2. Me
    3. Me
    4. Me
    5. Me

    I'm not sure if I'm being honest though.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

  10. #50
    See Right Through Me Bubbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    1,037

    Default

    You mean if someone walked up to me and was like "Die, or I'll kill someone else"? (Or kill x amount of people)

    Um. If I knew for sure other people would die, well...crap.

    See, my conscience is the peskiest thing in the world. If I was alive and I knew someone else had died for that, because I selfishly wanted to live, I'd suffer massive guilt for the rest of my life.

    I don't know what I'd choose. But because of that, I'm more inclined to say I'd die instead.
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

    My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

    DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] Ethical Question: Under what conditions would you kill someone?
    By Crabapple in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 07-30-2007, 09:54 PM
  2. Would you eat laboratory grown meat?
    By sdalek in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-02-2007, 01:46 PM
  3. What kind of essays would you prefer to write?
    By SolitaryWalker in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-16-2007, 03:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO