User Tag List

First 4121314

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nocap View Post
    then they ought to sacrifice themselves.
    the outcomes switch.

but then, a bad person is probably going to save themselves anyway [if selfishness is a part of being bad].

it should be pretty clear that if you're human, you're lying if you say you'd sacrifice yourself.
    That's the thing though. There are a lot of bad people out there who see themselves as good. They have "good" values, so they could very well choose self-sacrifice. They are just hypocrites (probably unconsciously so) because they could have harmed others throughout their lives and be misguided...framing their actions as justifiable. Think fanatical religious kamikaze, for example. They are willing to sacrifice themselves for something they believe to be good.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

but then, a bad person is probably going to save themselves anyway [if selfishness is a part of being bad].
    Going by that definition of good and bad, never the less, a person doesn't have to actually be bad to think him/her self bad and treat the self accordingly for it.

it should be pretty clear that if you're human, you're lying if you say you'd sacrifice yourself.
    I disagree. The suicide rates are pretty high, and those are people who aren't even killing themselves with the comfort of a purpose. Altruistic suicide is well recorded. I suppose your odds of knowing somone that committed altruistic suicide in this society are pretty low. But it happens.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Going by that definition of good and bad, never the less, a person doesn't have to actually be bad to think him/her self bad and treat the self accordingly for it.
    that's called a mistake.

oops.

I disagree. The suicide rates are pretty high, and those are people who aren't even killing themselves with the comfort of a purpose. Altruistic suicide is well recorded. I suppose your odds of knowing somone that committed altruistic suicide in this society are pretty low. But it happens.
    your point being that i'm wrong because what i said isn't true 100% of the time?

excuse me while i insert the word probably into the sentence.
    we fukin won boys

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    That's the thing though. There are a lot of bad people out there who see themselves as good. They have "good" values, so they could very well choose self-sacrifice. They are just hypocrites (probably unconsciously so) because they could have harmed others throughout their lives and be misguided...framing their actions as justifiable. Think fanatical religious kamikaze, for example. They are willing to sacrifice themselves for something they believe to be good.
    is this not a hypothetical example?
    you think maybe we're getting a little too specific, using a few too much real-world terminology and examples?

we're not talking about the goodness of humanity, and i'm definitely not about to get into specific [probably also hypothetical, knowing you] instances of delusional people being put to this test.
    this isn't a question for everyone - it's a question for you. it's a question for me. it's a question for magic poriferan.
    it's not a question for the group. we're not trying to reach a consensus.

what i mean is, you're not going to convince me i'm wrong.
    that's how i would decide.

i answered the question using mathematics.
    you answered it using whatever random ideal you have.

why is my method being put to such scrutiny? at least i have one, and that's better than i can say for anyone else.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

excuse me while i insert the word probably into the sentence.
    That a boy!
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ISFJ

is this not a hypothetical example?
    you think maybe we're getting a little too specific, using a few too much real-world terminology and examples?

[B]we're not talking about the goodness of humanity[/B], and i'm definitely not about to get into specific [probably also hypothetical, knowing you] instances of delusional people being put to this test.
    this isn't a question for everyone - it's a question for you. it's a question for me. it's a question for magic poriferan.
    it's not a question for the group. we're not trying to reach a consensus.

what i mean is, you're not going to convince me i'm wrong.
    that's how i would decide.

i answered the question using mathematics.
    you answered it using whatever random ideal you have.

why is my method being put to such scrutiny? at least i have one, and that's better than i can say for anyone else.
    Your method? Only absurd statements like "it should be pretty clear that if you're human, you're lying if you say you'd sacrifice yourself.", really. Did you use mathematics there too? Your method sounded logic enough (not that I'm interested in reaching a consensus or anything) but then you had to go and post such an illogical statement.

You were the one that expounded on the good/bad aspect with your "mathematics based" method.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by lane777 View Post
    I would die to save one random (I'm a Christian). If I wasn't a believer, I'd probably still sacrifice myself for the one, cause it would be better than living with the knowledge that I took someone's life.
    +1

I'm not a Christian though, just a regular masochist.

It would depend on how much pain was involved too. Eternal suffering would be a bummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    +1

I'm not a Christian though, just a regular masochist.

It would depend on how much pain was involved too. Eternal suffering would be a bummer.
    Hey there, masochist, who are you to call eternal suffering a bummer?
    Go to sleep, iguana.