User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you tend to often overconcentrate, underconcentrate, both, or neither?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • I often overconcentrate, being too deeply involved in some task of interest

5 20.00%
  • I often underconcentrate, being unable to put adequate time/effort in an uninteresting task

6 24.00%
  • I often under- and overconcentrate, finding it difficult to concentrate appropriately

12 48.00%
  • I rarely over- or underconcentrate

2 8.00%
12 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default Over- and underconcentration

Additional questionaire for those interested.

You can refer to any source for the question on brain dominance, for example The Brain Test - Tickle Personality Tests. The test is being discussed in greater depth in here.

-What did/would you answer on poll?

-What is your type?

-if you know it, your brain dominance: left, right, or balanced?

-how do you handle being too concentrated on something you'd wish to leave?

-how do you handle not being concentrated enough on something you'd wish to think?

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

My answers:
    Both over& under
    -What is your type?
    ENTP
    balanced.. that's brain dominance.. My abilities to concentrate isn't
    If there's something immediate where I'm needed, I quit what I'm doing and go there (perhaps little late). My mind may continue to drift in the task I was in.
    If there's nothing immediate, I just continue what I'm doing a variable time (perhaps hours) and then start on other tasks when I feel like it.
    When I'm (very rarely) in the flow, I can naturally switch my topic of concentration according to my needs.
    -how do you handle not being concentrated enough on something you'd wish to think?
    I try to remove distractions, and then I just start it a bit and hope that I'll be drawn into it. If I am able to start it, then I can do anything for hours. The problem is more to switch the topic of my concentration.

MBTI
    INTJ

Both under and over.

Absorb me and I stay that way, bore me and I go away....

Most common and contradictory comments on my school reports were a combination of "diligent" and "needs to concentrate" - from the same teachers and in the same sentence. My mom knew what they meant and used to chuckle about my contradictory ability.

My employers have found out how feral my sense of humor/chaos creation when bored can get. I trained them well to keep me supplied with interesting and challenging tasks.

Now self employed I need to carefully choose my "engagements" - if it looks boring (or the people/organisation does) I know I better price myself out of the market. It is too painful for the customer and myself....

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Depends heavily on how good is my diet and how well I am sticking to my exercise regimen. If the two are not at least decent, I fluctuate between over and under. The results aren't pretty.

Rarely, even though I'm in a good moment in terms of what I have outlined above.

-What is your type?

ENTJ

Balanced, but my natural preference would tend towards right, even if not strongly. I'd tend to say I can do well Te, Ni and Se, but not much else.

A way is to ingest a small amount of alchool (say, a glass of wine) and tell myself to relax and to take my time to think about the issue and resolve it, either in my head, or with the person involved in the problem.

Some exercise before the task. Then, without a shower, directly start to do it.
    Last edited by FDG; 10-21-2007 at 10:24 AM.

MBTI
    ENTP

I underconcentrate most of the time.
    -What is your type?
    ENTP
    Not sure, but I'm fully ambidexterous if that makes any difference
    Um, not sure if that ever happens... but if it did, I'd just keep going through until I finished it, because if I tried to break off before I was ready I'd just end up thinking about it the whole time anyway and wouldn't be able to do anything else properly
    I wish I knew a way to handle it, it's becoming a real problem. I've tried getting more sleep, slapping myself and saying "CONCENTRATE MOTHERFUCKER!", I've tried eating foods recommended by my doctor to help with concentration, and sheer willpower. But when it all comes down to it, when I'm bored and not interested in something, my brain just refuses to cooperate. And when I am interested, and want to concentrate but somehow the subject just keeps failing to engage me, all I seem to be able to do is pretend to be concentrating and then later rely on improvisation to do whatever it was I was meant to be studying for.

The worst time for me when underconcentration hit, was when I was learning to drive. I just couldn't take in what the instructor was saying to me, it was like he was just going 'blah blah blah' in my ear next to me, and though I tried to listen, none of it went in. I just pretty much improvised and experimented and figured it all out as I went, and then went out by myself, driving illegally without a licence, to figure things out by intuition. I just couldn't listen to or follow his painstaking instructions. And then during the examination for my licence, I also couldn't listen to the examiner, and found myself just guessing what it was he'd want me to do. I passed anyway! LOL
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Additional questionaire for those interested.
    I both under and over concentration -- if it is something I find interesting, I can obsess about it to the point of not noticing other things in my environment, and if it's something I find boring

-What is your type?
    INTP, with high Ni and decent F. (I suck abysmally at Te and Se, though. See any connection?)

Usually balanced or right-brained (especially the latter when I am in a fast-moving vehicle that is turning sharply left).

I don't know. I have to find something else that occupies my thoughts so intensely that I have no extra brainpower to obsess with about the old thing. Or I get physically away from whatever medium I was using to explore the obsessive topic/thing. Or I just try to "power my way through" -- but that tires me out.

Again, shut off all potential conflicts. (For example, at work, I have to shut down my browsers and anything else, and keep forcing myself to focus on my work and not write or do anything else that could be distracting. And ignore any impulses I might have to "just think about the other thing for a minute" or wishful thinking about "multitasking" -- which usually ends up with me just doing the thing I was trying to avoid.)

A good diet, exercise, and SLEEP helps some with the mental willpower/clarity. My shrink also told me that a sign of depression is not being able to stick long with tasks you don't like; most people can manage to do something that has to be done, even if they don't like it much, just by muscling through it.

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I wish I knew a way to handle it, it's becoming a real problem. I've tried getting more sleep, slapping myself and saying "CONCENTRATE MOTHERFUCKER!"...
    Hmm, I try saying "CONCENTRATE, SUBSTITUTE, YOU M*****F*****!" too, but it doesn't seem to help ME at all!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

-What did/would you answer on poll? Both, though lately I've had more problems under-concentrating than over.

-What is your type? INFJ

I used to test balanced, but I've tested right-brained on these last few tests.

-how do you handle being too concentrated on something you'd wish to leave? I either try to hurry up and finish it so I have closure and can move on or distract myself.

-how do you handle not being concentrated enough on something you'd wish to think? I often take a break and come back to it later or take a bunch of little breaks while working on it anyway.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Hmm, I try saying "CONCENTRATE, SUBSTITUTE, YOU M*****F*****!" too, but it doesn't seem to help ME at all!
    Sometimes I am concentrating when it seems like I'm not. When someone asks me a question and I start rambling on about all kinds of other stuff and don't seem to be answering the question, what they're actually seeing is me working out the answer, going through everything that my mind connects to that question or the keywords, doing it all out aloud (hoping the other person will help me to sift by giving feedback) until I have it whittled down to the essence of the question and the best answer to it.

I think that's probably what you've been on the receiving end of... heh.

I do find it very hard to come back to something though, if I didn't get the chance to give my thoughts at the time when I had them, it's hard for me to go back and remember them and come out with them if asked later. I tend to wave a hand in a dismissive gesture and say "No, I'm bored of that now." When in fact I just can't seem to make my mind focus on it at all. I feel at a disadvantage to the person who is sharp/on the ball with it, and the best I can do sometimes is to improvise responses based on each thing that they say, not really stringing any of it together in my mind and pretty much just bouncing spontaneously and aimlessly with no intentions or plans.

You've probably had that too!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Both, I tend to overconcentrate on something that leads to underconcentration on another task. I have issues with staying focus when task switching.

-What is your type?
    I'm an INFJ

Balanced, but I suspect slight lean towards left.

I find it difficult to handle. Drowning it out by doing something physical, or leisure activities that requires my complete attention (e.g. gaming, reading) works. But I lapse back when I stop.

I give myself a mental slap saying "It's due soon! Quit procrastinating and get it done!" That works for a short while before my attention starts to wander again. So I take a break and repeat cycle.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Overconcentrate

-What is your type?

INFJ, 4w5.

Left-brained.

Finishing it or figuring it out, usually. Other than that, getting focused on something else, or going to sleep.

Just sitting down, clearing my mind, and just telling myself, "Okay, focus now, just figure it out." But that doesn't happen very often.