User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: A parting gift

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Default A parting gift

I'm headed off for a bit, in just over 3 hours from when I started writing this post (probably alot less by the time I'm done), I'll be moving out and headed into my new life, so yay meeeee.

Of course... I'll be back obviously, but there's been some technical complications which may hold that back from as early as the 8th to as late as the 13th...

Due to this, I'll be gone for a bit unfortunately. On the plus side, I'm sitting around bored, fully packed except the computer... I have nothing else left to entertain me, and nothing's happening, so this's the perfect time... to explain 'yeu'.

So my gift to the forum for entertaining me while my video card was dead (though curse the people who embed youtube links! Crashes the browser and yeu can't disable them! >.< ), is to explain this oddity, as best I can anyway.

Let's start off with the beginning, and work our way from there.

I like toying with language, it's interesting, how it evolves and derives from one language to another, how latin can be traced to french, english, swedish, and a whole host of germanic languages. Once yeu know a bit of two of them or more, yeu can see clear patterns; 'death' is english's term but almost every other latin based language uses 'morte' or some variant thereof. With enough learning of other languages, there's much to understand.

That understanding of language enthralls me to a servitude of seeking further amusement from such.

But alas, much of language, especially english, is blind memorization. No understanding or comprehension, just flat out, blind, memorization. The rules have exceptions. The exceptions to the rules have exceptions. The exceptions to the exceptions have FFS EXCEPTIONS! WTH!? I before E, except after C, or unless it sounds like a long A, like neighbour or weigh... right. Seriously WTH.

And whot's with the letter C anyway? Whot purpose does it serve? "S" and "K" are already both taken, just ditch the C or change it so that it just always makes the "CH" sound so I don't have to write twice as many letters for a single sound.

But anyway...

Language in and of itself has little to understand, but where there is understanding, I find entertainment in. Things which make SENSE, I latch onto like a weird lingual katamari O.o;

Seriously, everything from new words, to typos that are neat, to obscure terms that I just find funny, I just love to work them into my language regularly. For example, "Canoodle" means "to kiss and to cuddle" more or less, but it just sounds ridiculous. "Ughly" on the other hand, was actually a typo I made once due to gh being next to each other on the keyboard and my finger slipped, but after that I kinda looked at it and... it makes MORE sense that way than "ugly". Really, when yeu see something ugly, the first reaction is to go "ugh!". So I really put the ugh in ughly!

In any case though, this's just the start of things.

"yeu" is something I came across originally YEARS ago... like literally over a decade now I think... back when there were still relatively few webcomics around. One of these, happened to have a really neat character I liked greatly, Ada, who was a black scottish woman with naturally blonde hair, just the right level of absurdity and 'this is so wrong' while still being plausible to some degree.

To show her accent though, they went with the whole respelling things to sound more 'scottish', I loved the idea of an 'accent' in text... considering how many people at the time were doing crap like leetspeek and aol spelling was just catching on at the time, I figured it wouldn't hurt to make my own adjustments as well.

I tried originally adopting the full range of accented speech, but it was... messy. People couldn't understand most of it, and it didn't really make much sense. It was hard to read, and frustrated people, and honestly it was annoying to write out, and then having to translate for people as well. So the idea was mostly ditched, though I kept the 'yeu' because I rather liked it, and it was the most natural one to do; it doesn't require any extra time to recognize whot it is... actually if yeu read it at a glance, yeu probably won't even notice at first until after a few of them go by that yeu go 'waaaait a second..."

In any case, the thing is, it didn't have any real negative aspects to it at the time of adoption, so no big deal!

Around the same time, a common phraze at a forum I went to, by one of the members I respected most, was "wot they said". I kinda made a mistake though on it and misspelled it whot... though it made more sense that way in regular speech so it all worked out honestly. As such, I kinda kept that one in honour of her, even if we haven't spoken now in probably years.

Past that though, there's various reasons (helmate I spelled wrong for ages and didn't KNOW it was wrong... Midevil SHOULD be spelled that way! It makes more sense due to the middle ages being evil XD Then there's the ughly and a few others, they all make sense in some twisted form really. ) but each is unique in it's specialized reasoning for why I came to use each one.

However... that only covers why I STARTED using these. It doesn't cover why I continue.

That... is where this gets interesting.

This actually gets pretty complex after this point, because there's several REASONS for why it's continued, several unexpected side effects that're beneficial, and several excuses because I just don't feel like changing anymore =3

First off, the reasons.

The main reason, is that, contrary to popular belief, this takes NO effort for me to do the 'yeu' thing. It's not a "conscious decision" anymore, it's my natural way of spelling it. I go back and use word replacement when writing something a bit more official. If I tried to write it as "you" properly, it's so unnatural to me at this point, that it would severely slow my typing as I'd have to stop and think about it regularly. In short, it's natural for me to write it as 'yeu' now.

Furthermore, it's a habit, a deeply entrenched one at that, meaning that if, for some reason, I actually wanted to change, it would be exceedingly difficult to make that change. It's not something I'd just magically stop doing, it'd be like trying to quit smoking but worse because most of the time I wouldn't even realize I was doing it still, since 'yeu' looks perfectly normal to me, due to long term exposure.

The most important reason of all, though, is because the people I respect most tend to find it amusing or enjoy it about me. It's an odd personal quirk to be sure, and can irritate some, but of those I truly enjoy talking with and am the closest friends with, pretty much all of them would feel like something was just 'missing' if I stopped using 'yeu'. It wouldn't be "ME" anymore. It's just one of those odd little things that defines who I am, same as any other odd behaviour anyone ever displays. No reason to really want to stop it if it'd frustrate the people I care most about.

Which brings me to the next group, excuses. These are not quite as strong as 'reasons'. A reason is WHY yeu do something, an excuse is why yeu don't bother to stop doing it even when it'd be in yeur benefit to do so.

So for starters, why should I change it? I mean the only people it bothers are those who are insanely strict on language, whom I don't really have much respect for anyway. Letter of the law vs spirit of the law; I will always pick the latter every time; I understand how things work and prefer to base my worldview off of this comprehension. The "letter of the law" of language is muddled, obscure, and quite frankly, boarderline retarded most of the time. And yes, I do mean retarded, the whole drooling on themselves in the back of the shortbus because they're so out of touch with reality >.< Language's rules, ESPECIALLY english, are just silly to begin with. At least it's better than most inuit languages where they just make up words as they go along, rather than having some kinda vaguely structured sense due to building words out of modified latin usually.

In any case, the point is that these people who go ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG U R TEH BREKING TEH RULZ!... well... their opinion really doesn't mean much to me. So whot? English is a living language, and a screwed up one at that. There's vast amounts of slang, and on the internet, it pretty much is just silly the spellings that people will use, that make me wonder why anyone cares... I refuse to use 'LOL'. If yeu really found it that funny that yeu laughed out loud, then maybe yeu should just go *laughs*, it shows a bit more respect to whoever actually made yeu laugh. Are we really so lazy that we can't even show simple appreciation for something provided that we enjoyed? There's alot of other crap as well... from refusing to use punctuation at all, to abusing it regularly, to lolcats speech... though that one's admittedly kinda funny.

But anyways, there's far worse abuses out there, so why do people focus on me? Desensitization is pretty much the only answer. That and it's different. Considering these same people tend to not go berserk on people butchering the language in other ways, I see no reason to pay attention to them when they try to single me out. There's also the matter that their correcting of spelling tends to be pretentious.

Soooo yeah. I'm also lazy, the effort required to make the change is more than I'm willing to put in (read: any at all), especially if it's only going to 'supposedly' please someone I didn't really like anyway, but will make someone I actually care about feel bad. I think I'll go with pleasing friends over enemies.

There's also the issue that, even *IF* I changed it... the people who complain are highly unlikely to ever say thank yeu... they'll just find something new to whine about. I see no reason to humour these people by subjecting myself to extra effort just because they want to be jerks. I won't condone the attitude or behaviour, and will persist in doing so simply to spite them.

But that's an excuse, not a reason. I'd still do it even if that weren't the case.

So is the fact that pointing out that it really takes no effort to understand whot I mean at all, and can nudge people who don't use english as a second language, to more accurately understand how it works rather than learning blindly from a textbook. Also excuses, and poor ones at that XD

Next off though, we have some rather... interesting side effects I've noticed over the years of doing this. Alot of them are pretty bizzare really, but actually kinda neat.

For example, in person, we have many ways to express ourselves at first sight, to show off who we are, try to give people a guess of our mindset at a glance. Hairstyle, piercings, tattoos, clothing choices, etc. These show whot we value to a degree. Online... we don't really get that. An avatar serves some of that function, but other quirks of spelling and such serve just as much; my "yeu" makes me stand out in much the same way as having dyed hair would. Like purple hair XD

This's not bad though, it's simple, elegant, and attractive in it's own right, yet also controversial.

The attention generated is nice, but it's kinda obvious. It wasn't really actually done originally for the attention though, unlike whot most people believe. It was done because I thought it was interesting at the time, and I liked it. Using "yeu" was for my own personal amusement, noone else's originally. Since then, it does admittedly garner a bit of attention to myself quickly though. I work my way into new online groups with relative ease, and don't really have to fight nearly as much for recognition; maintain my 'yeu' and people start to notice me pretty quickly whether they hate me or love me, doesn't matter, I'll have gotten myself snugged in nice and comfortable with ease.

Furthermore, it does provide several interesting benefits as well that one wouldn't normally expect.

I LURVES little psych tests that are done so that the recipient doesn't know they're taking them. If yeu KNOW it's a test, it taints the results and yeu'll react differently. This kind of 'test' shows me how people react to adverse situations, and their reactions can be quite interesting. One of my favorite parts is when other people start unconciously doing it themselves, having been corrupted by me >=3 Alot of the time they won't even notice they did it XD This vastly amuses me ^^

There's also the matter that it can be used to draw out the pseudo-intellectuals with ease as well. Those who want to look smart but really aren't that bright. They tend to try to point things out in a condescending manner in order to gain favour at another's expence, which's rather deplorable in my books. This is perfect bait though, they just HAVE to go "Zomg it's spelled 'you' did you know that!?" No really, I didn't know how to spell a 3 letter word which I see about 50,000 times a day. And no, I haven't been told this before by every other wannabe before yeu. And gasp, the correct spelling is so enlightening, I'll change my ways immediately! ...Not really. Seriously, it just makes the person stating the obvious look kinda dumb to me, it's pretty obvious it's intentional, furthermore it's obvious that I've been doing it for long enough that they are NOT the first to say so, so it's like watching 10 people standing out in the rain, commenting on how it's raining, then an 11th person walks up and mentions it's raining. Yep, yeu sure are a genius there huh? Pick something of interest to talk about, don't waste time on this stupid inane smalltalk. If yeu don't have anything of value to say, stop polluting my air with yeur stupid. I don't need to have a running commentary of whot's going on. "And now she's pressing keys, looks like, OH NOES she pressed an E instead of an O, this's a rough play for most teams, but it's a tragedy for team Cat today!"

Anyways >.>;;

This actually works especially good in debating at times, some people, when they're beaten, rather than try to actually argue their point, will just focus on 'yeu'. Somehow, they think that if they try to discredit me, that my point won't stand any longer. Ad hominum attacks don't impress me all that well, and I rip into people when they do it. Leaving bright, hard to miss bait out there just makes it easier to figure out which people are prone to doing so, and are not worth my time, while giving me the added advantage of having had hundreds of occasions to perfect and refine my comebacks to anything they could concievably come up with. If yeu want to go "I don't care about what someone who can't even spell 'YOU' thinks", I have about a dozen ways to smear yeur face over the floor with ease from massive amounts of practice. If they're going to attack me directly, it's nice to bait them so that they do it on my terms, not theirs.

The last major odd benefit I've noticed of using 'yeu', is that it provides me a glimpse at who values understanding, and who values memorization. If yeu just want blind adherance to rules, or to blindly memorize text without knowing whot it means, yeu'll generally not care for 'yeu'. This isn't always the case, so whot's the tipoff here? Specifically when someone implies, insinuates, or just flat out states that people who can spell well are smarter. Pft, no they're not. There's very little pattern recognition, and virtually no comprehension in spelling; if yeu were talking grammar, maybe yeu'd have a point, but yeu're not. Spelling is just memorization in english, nothing more, nothing less. There's too many exceptions and rules and so on that it just means nothing. If yeu can have sity and kat both use C... city/cat, well there's no way to know that. It's not phonetic, it doesn't make any logical sense, it's blind memorization and nothing else. By arguing that this's an integral part of intelligence, it shows me who values just knowledge, and who values the wisdom to make use of the knowledge with.

In any case, there's a few others I can't think of off the top of my head as well, but in general, I have some rather good reasons to continue doing so, but not really anything of value to make me want to change.

It'd take effort, it wouldn't seem right, it'd remove a portion of who I am, deprive me of a small portion of my individuality, part of my charm will fade as well, and I'll have many interesting tests and reactions under more natural settings, rather than trying to forcibly test people which skews the results too much.

And whot do I get out of this? I might be slightly less annoying to someone who's probably never going to like me anyway in the first place. So really, why should I bother?

In short, "yeu" is awesome, just because ^^

I hope this clears up some of it! Not everything obviously, but hopefully enough that people at least get an idea of why I do whot I do =3

It's not JUST for attention seeking as many mistakenly believe. Now that I've noticed it grants attention, well it doesn't hurt as an added bonus, but it's not the main reason XD

Anyways, hope yeu guys enjoyed yeur parting gift, I'mma be gone for a few days to over a week within a few hours from now... and this did distract me long enough to get time going almost to where I needed it, so yays, less time waiting while being bored!

Phantonym

I happen to like your "yeu". It's your trademark

Have fun moving. I for one will be waiting for yeu to return and enrich my vocabulary...eem...corrupt me

MBTI
    ENTP

Kat

You weren't wrong with the whole epic post...

Ah text messaging (and to a lesser extent emails) completely screw the langauge anyway... I approve of creative language cos I'm dyslexic so often make stuff up.

Enjoy the leap to a new life... such and adventure...

See you soon too

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    I happen to like your "yeu". It's your trademark

Have fun moving. I for one will be waiting for yeu to return and enrich my vocabulary...eem...corrupt me
    Yay thanks, it's amusing to see someone do it though and they don't even notice it when called on it. Like whaa? I didn't... oh crap! I find it highly entertaining. I shall corrupt all whee :O

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Kat

You weren't wrong with the whole epic post...

Ah text messaging (and to a lesser extent emails) completely screw the langauge anyway... I approve of creative language cos I'm dyslexic so often make stuff up.

Enjoy the leap to a new life... such and adventure...

See you soon too
    Doesn't seem that epic, only two people responded. I don't get it, everyone keeps bugging me for 'the answer', but when I provide it, noone cares really.

If anyone bugs me about 'yeu' again, but ever goes TLDR, Imma haves to smack them for being willfully ignorant.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I did think it was very interesting. But since you clarify so well and expound in such a way, what is left for anyone to ask?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I did think it was very interesting. But since you clarify so well and expound in such a way, what is left for anyone to ask?
    Oh I'm sure there's stuff to ASK, but more importantly, there's space for people to keep complaining anyway XD

Generally when I go through the whole explanation there's at least 1-2 people who take the time to whine about it, and try to go on about how it's only because I want attention. Maybe I covered that it wasn't too clearly this time though.

Oh well, just seems odd is all, maybe I needed a better title to attract peoples.

Tomorrow I should have electricity on finally and can probably spend more time discussing stuffs like this again from then on. Too little time right now to do a ton but at least I have some time since it's a holiday today, and thanksgiving at that, so I doubt anyone'll go grrrr! at me 'borrowing' power from the hall for a bit...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I do have a question, though. Why do you take time to capitalize and punctuate correctly, if you don't value grammar or spelling? And why do you spell words other than "whot" and "yeu" correctly?

Personally, I do usually think correct spelling and grammar implies intelligence, but I would still think you were intelligent because you're only misspelling specific words in consistent ways, and still capitalize correctly. I hate to say it, but while I can ignore spelling quirks (mostly because spelling differs between regions anyway), I would probably find a person who didn't capitalize or punctuate correctly irritating, and somewhat stupid or lazy.

What does that mean?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I do have a question, though. Why do you take time to capitalize and punctuate correctly, if you don't value grammar or spelling? And why do you spell words other than "whot" and "yeu" correctly?
    I don't have anything AGAINST spelling correctly... I'm just not that good at it. Actually my spelling's alot worse normally, this site happens to have the ability to replace words with spellchecking built into it though, which's saved me a bit of trouble there.

That's one thing I forgot to mention I think in the above list; I spell poorly... memorization is not my forte at all. Having flawed spelling consistantly such as 'whot' and 'yeu' on basic things, also helps to confuse people on larger things, if I misspell a word, people won't be sure if I *REALLY* don't know how to spell it, or if it's just another quirk.

The best camouflage is that which hides in plain sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Personally, I do usually think correct spelling and grammar implies intelligence, but I would still think you were intelligent because you're only misspelling specific words in consistent ways, and still capitalize correctly. I hate to say it, but while I can ignore spelling quirks (mostly because spelling differs between regions anyway), I would probably find a person who didn't capitalize or punctuate correctly irritating, and somewhat stupid or lazy.

What does that mean?
    Grammar I can agree with to a degree, spelling to a degree as well but only to a degree. They are pretty much memorization rather than 'true' intelligence. Memorizing the term "E=mc^2" is great, but how many people truly understand the value of it, or whot it even means? Spelling just says yeu can remember more facts to correlate information between when using the intelligence yeu have. It doesn't mean yeu're smart, it just means yeu have a larger amount of raw data to make use of the smarts yeu DO have.

That being said though, the capacity to spell things phonetically *IS* intelligence, as it shows understanding. A word which's not spelled phonetically, however, is blind memorization and means nothing. Memorizing a rule is just memorizing a rule. Memorizing an exception to a rule is even worse, at least rules yeu can apply in different situations. Knowing "Cat" is spelled with a C instead of a K doesn't show intelligence in the slightest; there's no understanding, no comprehension, no reasoning, just blind memorization.

If someone who was only JUST LEARNING the language spelled it Kat, I'd give them a great deal of credit for understanding the concept behind it. Or if they spelled Colonel as "Kernal" instead. Or Lieutenant as "Leftenant" (canadian thing). They're WRONG, but they show comprehension and understanding of the concepts behind them. Just having screwed up spelling which makes ZERO sense and memorizing it doesn't show any intelligence at all. Yay so yeu have the thinking capacity of a DOG, good for yeu! I'm more interested in the people who can reason out how to spell a large word they've only HEARD but never SEEN spelled, based on the information that they understand of the rules inherent.

Now, that being said, grammar is a little different from spelling, as the rules can be applied elsewhere. Knowing that there's a capital at the start of a sentence has a MEANING, it means "this is an easy way to tell I'm starting a new sentence!" at a glance, just as the "." at the end shows that the previous sentence is ending. It provides a coherent grid to read through, making it easier to differentiate separate ideas, and considering how much my mind wanders, anything to structure that so it makes even the slightest bit of sense, helps.

I actually *DO* try to keep consistent spelling and grammar at least, just to make it easier to understand whot I'm saying. For little things though like yeu, whot, and so on, though, it's not worth the effort as they don't really provide any additional coherence to the statements; language exists to convey an IDEA. As long as the idea is conveyed, it has fulfilled it's purpose. Using larger words that people don't know fails this, so utilizing my entire vocabulary would fail the primary premise and purpose of language in the first place.

Using "yeu" does not fail this; using grammar supplements such however, by organizing such into more readily understandable chunks.

It makes sense in a weird, twisted kind of way anyways.

In short though, I use language with the intent of it's purpose; I follow the rules within that spirit; if it conveys whot I'm trying to explain, then great. If it fails to do so, then it's not worth using in that manner. I will do something "wrong" if it more accurately describes whot I'm trying to convey; improper spelling/grammar, if they better provide the information I want to give, will always take precedence over being "technically correct".

MBTI
    ESFJ

Thank yeu for sharing that.

'Yeu' never bothered me in the first place and i actually thought it was quirky. Keep up the good work.

All the best.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ENTJ

1. How much do I love this explanatory post? A LOT. I love having things explained. Thoroughly. This post makes me feel warm. My reactions to your spelling was, at first "hey...she spells it 'yeu'" and then, after more interaction, 'that's Kat's trademark' - it became a way to recognize something you'd said without seeing your name next to it.

2. I agree with you re: language being an evolving thing. Also re: memorization. I have even been known to point out that one could theoretically teach a person with an IQ of 80-ish to memorize E=MC2, it wouldn't make them "smart". Memorization = smarts is something that has always irritated me, to put it mildly.

One of my favorite parts is when other people start unconciously doing it themselves, having been corrupted by me >=3 Alot of the time they won't even notice they did it XD This vastly amuses me ^^
    In Vent, I have caught myself probably 10+ times either starting to spell it 'yeu' or seeing it that way in my head before I spell it and having to consciously spell it 'you'. This is entirely down to you because I don't know anyone else who spells it like that. I don't know why, but I am very prone to picking up things like spelling, pronunciation, little phrases etc. from other people. Put me in a room with someone for 10 days and I'm probably going to come out sounding a LOT more like them than when I went in. I don't mind this, I just find it interesting.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker