User Tag List

First 5678 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

I could live without the internet, yeah right, the internet is a heavy influence in my life and part of today's culture really.

MBTI
    INTP

Speak of the devil. Our internet is down at work today and everybody is congregating around, not knowing what to do. We make websites and internet software, so it is kind of a requirement to have connectivity. Fortunately, I have a laptop and wifi card that I take with me just for such circumstances.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Without the internet I wouldn't be able to keep working online, and I'd have to get a real job, nevermind all the other stuff I use the internet for. I think I'd live, but it would take a while to adapt. Actually, I'd be screwed.

Is this a serious question?

I can live with food and water

I'd PREFER if the internet stayed around though

MBTI
    IsTP

I've had periods of my life where I've went without internet for a good while.

Right now I use it from work when it gets slow, and I don't have it at home. I do find I am much more productive without it, and I am honestly probably not going to get it again at home.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

MBTI
    INFJ

Currently I'm taking online graduate courses, so I use the internet every day for class content, communication and research. I also do a lot of library searches and reserves online, as well as read the news and correspond with my sister and friends.

So, survive without the Internet? Certainly, but my quality of life would be less rich and full without it.
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

Riva

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooo!

Enneagram
    9w8

I could and have before, but the effect really isn't the same unless others are without it at the same time, otherwise all I see is the stark contrast between my personal mindset and others'.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I'm on it all bloody day, pretty much. I don't know what I'd do without it now.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

I thought this was a gem.

The surprising health benefits of the Internet.

New research shows that surfing the Web is actually beneficial.

Besides being a wealth of information and the cornerstone of convenience, a University of California, Los Angeles study shows that the Internet boosts brain power in middle-aged and older adults. Researchers found that the brain slows down over time. As you age, a number of physiological changes occur to the brain that can affect brain performance and function:

Atrophy - Brain shrinkage due to a loss of neurons and the connections between them leads to a loss of mental activities.
    A reduction in cellular activity
    Amyloid plaque - B-amyloid protein build-up disrupts communication between the brain's neurons.
    Tau tangles - Tau protein build-up causes death to the brain's neurons.

Surfing the Web, however, provides an exercise to improve brain function in middle-aged and older adults. It utilizes parts the parts of the brain that control decision-making and complex reasoning.

The Internet also provides a source of support groups, information and companionship for people all over the world.

"Internet searching engages complicated brain activity, which may help exercise and improve brain function," states lead researcher, Professor Gary Small.

Besides increasing the brain's performance, there are some other benefits to the Internet. For instance, the Internet can help to combat loneliness. It's a good way to connect with old friends, through Facebook, Myspace, Classmates.com, and other social online sites, and to make new ones.

It's easy to make connections with people by going to chat rooms, commenting on a Web site's message board, starting a blog (a personal narrative that is posted online) and asking for comments, joining a dating website, and so on. Chat rooms on a multitude of subjects are out there in the World Wide Web.

With the Internet, supportive people and helpful advice are a click-of-the-mouse away. And if you're interested in becoming physically fit, you can get a tailor-made diet online, as well as your own virtual personal trainer. So when you hear yet again how bad the Internet is, just remember that research shows it may also be good for your health! And as with so many things, if you use it in moderation, you'll be just fine.