User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default what do you like about instrumental music?

it can be anywhere from classical music,
    or jazz, bossa-nova, lounge music,
    or trance, techno,
    or rock, metal,
    or even anime/video-games/movies soundtracks,

does any of you here like, or even prefer, instrumental music?

if yes, then what are the reasons you like/prefer instrumental music, than vocal/lyrical music/songs?
    in other words, what do you think is the "plus points" of instrumental music, compared to the vocal/lyrical music ?
    is there a 'different' feeling, or experience, or effects, perhaps?

I'd love to know your opinions,
    especially from the avid instrumental-music listeners
    thanks.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

what do you like about instrumental music?
    Its imagery and colours.
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    ENFP

I appreciate it because I used to play it. I love how (often) so many instruments can come together to form a masterpiece of a song.
    ENFP Male: E-74% N-95% F-58% P-84% 3w2
    "I feel there are two people inside me - me and my intuition. If I go against her, she'll screw me every time, and if I follow her, we get along quite nicely." -Kim Basinger

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I listen to a lot of ambient music. It's very soothing and beautiful. Stuff like: Helios, Sigur Ros, etc.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    INxJ

The lyrical element can muddle everything up. Instrumental on it's own, is the most beautiful. It's sort of like when I'm talking to someone that wants to bombard me with stupid details instead of getting to the point. That's what lyrics in songs seem like at times.

I'm also learning cello, so I'm biased.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Socionics
    ENFj

It is pretty funny. Some people like to listen to the words to the music while other people like to listen to the music it self.

For me, I prefer to listen to the music itself as I find it draining to try and find out what the singer is actually trying to say. I do like to listen to beautiful voices, but I feel that the voices are only one instrument with a group of instruments. The sound of the instruments and the tone of the voice speaks to me WAY more than what is actually being said. You can show me a totally emotional song, and if it sounds boring to me, I will say boring. With those songs I actually have to read the lyrics and then I can understand what emotions they are trying to convey. Still then, the song is boring to me and I would rather listen to something else.

I'm wondering if sensors prefer vocal music and intutives prefer instrumental music.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I listen to a lot of ambient music, and musicians who use a lot of instrumental sections. Quite a lot of the music I listen to has vocals/lyrics that aren't very clear sounding or have a clear meaning. I think it takes out the draining part of listening to the words and not the music, if that drains you.

I quite enjoy listening to ambient music on its own, you can read with it on, and it takes a back seat to whatever you're doing. I listen to it for other reasons, mainly because I like that kind of thing.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I listen to a lot of music with lyrics but I play in an orchestra, and I love what we play. There's nothing to get in the way of you and interpretation. Also, it's easier to hear what all the instruments are doing because you're not distracted by words. Everything sounds so much more vivid when there's no song along with it.

Also: I really hate ambient music. Music without vocals is so much MORE intense for me that I could never really consider it ambient.

Then again, I also listen to music in languages I don't understand. Does this count, because I can't understand the words, and am just listening to the vocals as an instrument themselves?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I absolutely love trance. It's my #1 music at the moment.

I just told to a good friend of mine that trance is NOTHING about the notes. It's all about the samples.. if other music has just simple variations of common instruments, trance has extreme variations of all the stuff. Yet it may have just simple melodical structures, but all the mood. That's what I love about trance.

I love some of the film music. I loved some of the game music as well, at the time it was distinctive from other musical styles.

At a very young age, I loved classical. Bach was one of my favorites. It gives a wonderful feeling. Now more than 20 years later, I absolutely love them in the CIV IV game, for example.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP

Classical and film soundtrack music is my favourite. I love the sound of an orchestra- I don't think anything compares to it. It can just be so... vast.

Generally, I prefer instrumental music to lyrical music because with instrumental, the music has to speak for itself, without the aid of words. Music in its purest form without having to compromise for anything, I guess.

This said, I still love alot of lyrical music.