User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP

great answers guys,
    love it
    so indeed, overall, it seems that instrumental music has definitely has different 'feel' than music w/ vocal/lyrics.
    and i especially like the post that mentioned that sometimes, the lyrics can 'muddle' everything up... i think i can understand that feeling as well.

also ditto for the 'limitless' imagery and colours in instrumental music
    thanks for all the answers

MBTI
    INTJ

I can read and listen to instrumental.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    infp

I like pure instrumentals for creativity, lyrics don't do that for me. Then again, if I don't understand the lyrics, like in opera, I can get the same creative effect.

I can be swept away on my own little fantasy, if there are lyrics I am getting swept away on the tale someone else is creating, rather than one I am.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ

My brother can read a book and listen to vocal focused music with clear spoken lyrics at the same time.

I don't get it and it bothers me.

Is it possible he's registering both?
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Then again, I also listen to music in languages I don't understand. Does this count, because I can't understand the words, and am just listening to the vocals as an instrument themselves?
    Sure. If you don't understand the lyrics, it doesn't interfere with your ability to enjoy the piece as a whole. It's almost like the lyrics become just another instrument. It's not distracting.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Love instrumental music. Absolutely superb. Classical, metal, soundtrack, trance/techno, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post

Then again, I also listen to music in languages I don't understand. Does this count, because I can't understand the words, and am just listening to the vocals as an instrument themselves?
    I do this too. I particularly love Finnish/European Folk metal and I love the sound of words in classical, folk, metal, and in superb vocal performances [Transiberian Orchestra has some tremendous vocal talent, Freddie Mercury from Queen is, in my opinion, one of the greatest vocal talents of all time] and not necessarily what the words actually mean or contribute to the song.

MBTI
    ESFJ

When it comes to music .. I can breakdown the instruments and just hear each playing alone. I really enjoy doing that for some strange reason.

I like the power of it, almost like i am being lifted by the strength of it. I can't really explain it any more than that.

With instrumental, i just kind of float away as it can be so tranquil. *sigh*
    (be it piano, violin or trance music)

“I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I know the fact that I played the piano for over 10 years growing up, and the oboe for 8 years (4 years of which I was in a youth symphony) greatly influenced me, and my ability to appreciate sound - as MUSIC itself is everything once the lyrics are stripped away. It is probably why even with music that contains lyrics, I often don't know/care what the lyrics are about - my judgment of whether a song is good or not, and whether I like it or not, is based solely on the melody/instrumentation/rhythm, and corresponding emotion, power, and feeling that can be created out of it - one of the three, or a combination of all (although there are a few songs where the lyrics do stand out - but I never like a song based on lyrics alone...ish...there has to be a supporting structure/composition to all of it).

As for what I like about it? Well, as far as classical goes, the richness and complexity of all of the instruments coming together. And I love all of the various periods/'epochs' of classical music, too...it's like an auditory way of following history and hearing it unfold.

I like some techno/house/lounge music quite a bit, due to shifting rhythms and sounds. I also like a smattering of random rock/folky type music - melodic structure and rhythm/syncopation. And finally, music like Dead Can Dance/Lisa Gerrard.....there's so much more potential for raw emotion and power with simply sound/melody and vocals minus the lyrics -- i.e. vocal sounds with the lyrics scrapped out of it (or, the lyrics are archaic/foreign so it's not like I know what's being said anyway).

Edit: Just thought of one more thing: I can often appreciate the sheer *skill* and raw talent involved when focusing on just the instruments being played *(well, assuming the musicians are in fact really talented!), which can lead to awe sometimes.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It seems to help me focus more than vocal music does. I dunno, I just like it. I love to study to music that's instrumental or to music where I can't understand the vocals, it all adds to a central sound.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I've been playing piano for almost fourteen years now, and as such I've basically grown up listening to instrumental music. Listening to lyrical music, I find myself waiting for the instrumental breaks before I really start paying attention to it, mainly because the vocals seem to detract from the overall tone of the music. I love the symphony because of this, actually. The way the music melds together, with each instrument adding on a new level of complexity to create something spectacular, is amazing to experience.

That being said, one of the reasons I love Broadway music is that they pay more attention to this, and often the vocals will help amplify the tone of the piece instead of diverting away from it. Especially since the vocals will often become like a part of the instrumental.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]