User Tag List

View Poll Results: What type(s) do you think is most likely to be fat?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • ISTJ

18 16.82%
  • ESTJ

15 14.02%
  • ISFJ

19 17.76%
  • ESFJ

26 24.30%
  • ISTP

18 16.82%
  • ESTP

18 16.82%
  • ISFP

32 29.91%
  • ESFP

29 27.10%
  • INTJ

15 14.02%
  • ENTJ

15 14.02%
  • INFJ

16 14.95%
  • ENFJ

14 13.08%
  • INTP

38 35.51%
  • ENTP

17 15.89%
  • INFP

36 33.64%
  • ENFP

24 22.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 23456 Last

deleted

What type was the fattest person in the world?

MBTI
    LoLz

I'd think SJs would be most concerned with their appearance and health, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Unfortunately I think you let him out too early. How can it be a strawman when I didn't refute what you said?
    a) Types which have the most genetic predisposition to putting on fat will be the ones most likely to get fat

<-> Not necessarily, since this is far from being the only determining factor, "predispositions can be defeated" by the ideal lifestyle of individuals belonging to a type which is otherwise genetically "coded" to gain weight easier

b) Defeating predispositions = eternally pissing into the wind

---> Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look, there's another one! Catch the bastard!

MBTI
    ENFJ

What we need to do is a survey of TypoC members.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    a) Types which have the most genetic predisposition to putting on fat will be the ones most likely to get fat

<-> Not necessarily, since this is far from being the only determining factor, "predispositions can be defeated" by the ideal lifestyle of individuals belonging to a type which is otherwise genetically "coded" to gain weight easier
    The statistical probability of a child being fat is much more likely if both parents are fat than if both parents are thin. It is much harder and therefore less likely for a naturally thin person to get fat than someone predisposed to it. It's possible that certain personality types (if genetic disposition is equal) that some types may be more inclined to fight harder to defeat it than others. However I think genetics and social status would be much better predictors of fatness than personality.

sb) Defeating predispositions = eternally pissing into the wind

---> Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Perhaps "swimming upstream" is a more preferable phrase?
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Why on earth are INFPs getting so many votes? It must be some kind of conspiracy, because I don't think I've ever met one large INFP, although one or two of them may have tipped the scales a little.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    What we need to do is a survey of TypoC members.
    Seriously, best idea yet!

The statistical probability of a child being fat is much more likely if both parents are fat than if both parents are thin.
    Yes, I can see that. Wonder why this is the case, since nature seems to be promoting the "return to average" - principle (or sthing like that) in case of most deviancies; high IQ parents will most propably have an average IQ child etc.
    *shrug* Whatever, I don't know much about these things.

Perhaps "swimming upstream" is a more preferable phrase?
    We'll see. I hope there is a cool smiley for agreement... yup, this'll work.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

i just wanted to mention that BMI is not always meaningful, it over-generalizes a lot. i am actually slightly overweight according to BMI charts, but i have a very low body fat percentage and a fair amount of muscle development. i would be really shocked to hear someone seeing me in person call me overweight.
    it just seems like BMI doesn't take in to account a lot of factors.

I did find some research connecting personality with obesity, they used the MMPI

Personality characteristics in obesity: relation of MMPI profile and age of onset of obesity to success in weight reduction -- Johnson et al. 29 (6): 626 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

Personality characteristics in obesity: relation of MMPI profile and age of onset of obesity to success in weight reduction
    SF Johnson, WM Swenson and CF Gastineau

A group of 142 obese subjects was seen in an obesity clinic over a 2- year period. Of these, 116 had assessment of personality factors by the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI), and 71 were followed for periods of 4 to 28 months in order to determine success at weight reduction by means of a conventional dietary regimen. The MMPI profiles of the obese subjects were compared to those of a general medical population of 50,000 patients seen in the Department of Internal Medicine at the Mayo Clinic. Obese male subjects had significantly higher scores on the F and MA scales. Obese female subjects had significantly higher scores on the F, PD, PA, SC, and MA scales, and a significantly lower score on the Q scale than the reference population. Even though these findings show that certain personality traits as measured by the MMPI may occur more frequently in obese persons, the individual MMPI profile codes point out the presence of diverse behavior patterns among obese persons rather than a single personality pattern characteristic of obesity. There were no apparent differences in the success in achieving a loss of 10% or more of initial weight among the male and female obese subjects having normal or abnormal MMPI profiles. Obese subjects having onset of obesity before age 12 years were slightly more successful in weight reduction than those whose obesity began later than this, but the differences were not statistically significant for either the male or female subjects.
    Can someone find out what the "Q-scale" is on the MMPI?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield