User Tag List

View Poll Results: What type(s) do you think is most likely to be fat?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • ISTJ

18 16.67%
  • ESTJ

15 13.89%
  • ISFJ

19 17.59%
  • ESFJ

26 24.07%
  • ISTP

18 16.67%
  • ESTP

18 16.67%
  • ISFP

32 29.63%
  • ESFP

29 26.85%
  • INTJ

15 13.89%
  • ENTJ

15 13.89%
  • INFJ

16 14.81%
  • ENFJ

14 12.96%
  • INTP

39 36.11%
  • ENTP

17 15.74%
  • INFP

36 33.33%
  • ENFP

24 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 4121314

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    It's not true. Or at least, not the way you present it. I'd even say that when I see your response, it looks like a pre-emptive defensive reaction.

Once gain, should you be true, then it could not explain why the average US citizen is so fat compared to European ones. Basically, the genes are the sames: only the consumption changes.
    I have heard that there is actually very little difference in body weights between white Europeans and white Americans. At least not different enough to explain why some people are hundreds of pounds fatter than others.

Average male weight in Germany: 181.7lbs
    Average male weight in USA: 190.9lbs
    source

So basically the difference is roughly 9lbs, so yes it is quite possible that those 9lbs may be due to different consumption habits but 9lbs is tiny compared to the hundreds of pounds of differences between thin and fat within populations.

In my family, we take extra weight very easily. Yet my body mass index is within the "normal range" (23, a number that would make me rather slim compared to the US standards). It's a choice: it's because I know what I eat and how. You have to educate your taste buds since childhood.
    How much slimmer are you than your parents/grandparents? If they have BMIs in the 40s or 50s I will be impressed but it's still anecdotal.

I still stand by the fact that you can't eat yourself very fat unless you have the genes to do so. Overfeeding to that extent isn't easy it's actually very difficult you'd need to constantly gorge yourself past desire. It would be very hard work and your metabolism would be going into overdrive you literally wouldn't be able to stand still. There are plenty of overfeeding studies around on google scholar.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE

Congratulations INTPs!

You win!

Time to party!

(I still love you guys n' gals)

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

That's ridiculous, I always imagine INTPs as the anorexic type.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

That picture makes me want to vomit. DISGUSTING!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

I just voted and checked every single box.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I have heard that there is actually very little difference in body weights between white Europeans and white Americans. At least not different enough to explain why some people are hundreds of pounds fatter than others.

Average male weight in Germany: 181.7lbs
    Average male weight in USA: 190.9lbs
    source

So basically the difference is roughly 9lbs, so yes it is quite possible that those 9lbs may be due to different consumption habits but 9lbs is tiny compared to the hundreds of pounds of differences between thin and fat within populations.
    You've chosen to compare the US with the European country that have the more issues with obesity.
    In France, the average male weight is 75kg, 165lbs. And the average BMI is around 24.7.

I'm deeply sorry if you have an issue with obesity yourself, but displaying bad faith will not help you face it. Do you prefer pleasant lies or the truth?

How much slimmer are you than your parents/grandparents? If they have BMIs in the 40s or 50s I will be impressed but it's still anecdotal.
    BMIs in the 40s or the 50s is simply morbidly monstruous. It's incredibly rare here, while it happens frequently in the US. Ask yourself why.

If obesity was entirely due to genetic factors, then you would have the same proportion of obese people in all countries of similar genetic backgrounds, and similar economic prosperity.
    You know it's not true, so the answer is obvious even it seems you don't want to acknowledge it.

I still stand by the fact that you can't eat yourself very fat unless you have the genes to do so. Overfeeding to that extent isn't easy it's actually very difficult you'd need to constantly gorge yourself past desire. It would be very hard work and your metabolism would be going into overdrive you literally wouldn't be able to stand still. There are plenty of overfeeding studies around on google scholar.
    If you want to convince yourself you were doomed to be fat, then so be it. But most of the time, it's an illusion, a convenient excuse. The studies you provided don't say otherwise, by the way.

It's very easy easy to get fat: just eat Junk food every time, in the morning, in the evening, and during dinner. It's not a question of quantity, or "gorging yourself past desire".
    It's just that in Junk food, with the same quantity you will have an insane amount of cheap sugars and trans fats.

Have you seen this edifying documentary:

Super Size Me - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The reason for Spurlock's investigation was the increasing spread of obesity throughout U.S. society, which the Surgeon General has declared "epidemic", and the corresponding lawsuit brought against McDonald's on behalf of two overweight girls, who, it was alleged, became obese as a result of eating McDonald's food [Pelman v. McDonald's Corp., [237 F. Supp. 2d 512]. Spurlock points out that although the lawsuit against McDonald's failed (and subsequently many state legislatures have legislated against product liability actions against producers and distributors of "fast food"), much of the same criticism leveled against the tobacco companies applies to fast food franchises whose product is both physiologically addictive and physically harmful."

It's true that the way our organisms manage to digest Junk food will not always have the same consequence, especially if you are diabetic (For instance, Polynesian populations are predisposed to diabete, but not European ones).
    But nonetheless, if an average man eats Junk food everyday and at every meal, he will become obese. And rather quickly.

And you can't deny that obvious fact.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Not true. Many people in USA have Native American genetics or African genetics or both in their family tree.
    Once again, you're contradictory just for the sake of contradiction.
    You know it's anecdotal.
    And by the way, in France, the population also have a rather mixed origin, way more than other European countries since we were the only old immigration land in Europe.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

You've chosen to compare the US with the European country that have the more issues with obesity.
    In France, the average male weight is 75kg, 165lbs. And the average BMI is around 24.7.
    So when you said "europe" you really meant just "france", ok just keep on moving those goalposts... at any rate that's still only 25lbs, compared to the hundreds of pounds of difference in weight within populations.

The USA could be taller on average than France yet it will still be genetics that largely determines which Frenchmen and which Americans will be tall or short. Just as the USA could be fatter on average than France but it will still be genetics that largely determines which Frenchmen and which Americans are fat or slim.

I'm deeply sorry if you have an issue with obesity yourself, but displaying bad faith will not help you face it. Do you prefer pleasant lies or the truth?
    Issues? Bad faith? Now who's being defensive... I don't see what they big deal is here, I'm just repeating what famous geneticists also believe:

Obesity is Genetic - Newsweek.com

So where am I more likely to find the truth in tacky documentaries by unqualified media men (super size me) or by listening to those qualified experts (Friedman) that actually know what they're talking about?

BMIs in the 40s or the 50s is simply morbidly monstruous. It's incredibly rare here, while it happens frequently in the US. Ask yourself why.
    I already have, the answer? Genetics...

If obesity was entirely due to genetic factors, then you would have the same proportion of obese people in all countries of similar genetic backgrounds, and similar economic prosperity.
    You know it's not true, so the answer is obvious even it seems you don't want to acknowledge it.
    Some countries are shorter or taller than others yet height is still mostly genetic just as some countries are slimmer or fatter than others yet weight is still mostly genetic.

If you want to convince yourself you were doomed to be fat, then so be it. But most of the time, it's an illusion, a convenient excuse.
    I'm not fat, so I don't have to convince myself anything.

The studies you provided don't say otherwise, by the way.
    Would be kind of you to elaborate why.

It's very easy easy to get fat: just eat Junk food every time, in the morning, in the evening, and during dinner. It's not a question of quantity, or "gorging yourself past desire".
    It's just that in Junk food, with the same quantity you will have an insane amount of cheap sugars and trans fats.
    ...and your body will know that you are consuming massive calories and it will adapt, it will ratchet up your metabolism and increase unconscious energy expenditure, you'll eventually need to start eating more and more to maintain the same amount of weight, unless you have the genetics that drives your weight higher. For the vast majority of people body weights are remarkably stable in the face of long term over/underfeeding.

Have you seen this edifying documentary:

"The reason for Spurlock's investigation was the increasing spread of obesity throughout U.S. society, which the Surgeon General has declared "epidemic", and the corresponding lawsuit brought against McDonald's on behalf of two overweight girls, who, it was alleged, became obese as a result of eating McDonald's food [Pelman v. McDonald's Corp., [237 F. Supp. 2d 512]. Spurlock points out that although the lawsuit against McDonald's failed (and subsequently many state legislatures have legislated against product liability actions against producers and distributors of "fast food"), much of the same criticism leveled against the tobacco companies applies to fast food franchises whose product is both physiologically addictive and physically harmful."

It's true that the way our organisms manage to digest Junk food will not always have the same consequence, especially if you are diabetic (For instance, Polynesian populations are predisposed to diabete, but not European ones).
    I haven't seen it, but why would I need to watch some anti-business propaganda when there is already mountains of actual scientific research on the genetics of obesity? If the guy could actually maintain that sort of diet in the long term without giving up and returning to something more moderate perhaps then I could take something useful from it (also if he was open and honest with his data).

But nonetheless, if an average man eats Junk food everyday and at every meal, he will become obese. And rather quickly.

And you can't deny that obvious fact.
    The problem is the average man would not be able to eat that amount of junkfood constantly in the long term, the body and brain counts calories with far more accuracy than the conscious mind or the tastebuds. Our bodies homeostatic system that maintains body weight in a relatively narrow range adapts to changes in diet with remarkable power, that is an obvious fact!
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

heart on fire

Once again, you're contradictory just for the sake of contradiction.
    You know it's anecdotal.
    And by the way, in France, the population also have a rather mixed origin, way more than other European countries since we were the only old immigration land in Europe.
    I am not being contridictory. I have Native American genetics, my husband does, more of my friends have it than do not.

And Native Americans did not eat the European diet, their genetics not used to dealing with it. I mean so if a person has that in their line, their bodies may not deal the same with a European based diet.