User Tag List

View Poll Results: What type(s) do you think is most likely to be fat?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • ISTJ

18 16.82%
  • ESTJ

15 14.02%
  • ISFJ

19 17.76%
  • ESFJ

26 24.30%
  • ISTP

18 16.82%
  • ESTP

18 16.82%
  • ISFP

32 29.91%
  • ESFP

29 27.10%
  • INTJ

15 14.02%
  • ENTJ

15 14.02%
  • INFJ

16 14.95%
  • ENFJ

14 13.08%
  • INTP

38 35.51%
  • ENTP

17 15.89%
  • INFP

36 33.64%
  • ENFP

24 22.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 311121314 Last

figsfiggyfigs

well... wouldn't people of more emotional nature ( ie. emotional eaters) have a higher chance of gaining weight?
    genetics have a huge part in this as well.
    some people have thyroid problems as well.
    there are a lot of factors in weight gain.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post
    This thread confirms my fear to be true, that a lot of the people who frequent this site are blind sheep cultists.

*shakes head in disgust*
    Iš Yog Sothoth cf'ayak'vulgtmm, vugtlagln vulgtmm!!

"A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Anyway.

The only sure statistics that could make you fat or skinny is the country where you live. Sure, there are some genetic factors involved (see Polynesia and diabete occurence), but Americans usually are a LOT fattier than average. It's even amazing to notice that what they would consider "average", or "normal" there would be considered as already obese here. Even amongst young population...

The availability of junk food is NOT correlated to MBTI.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Actually, there are no "bad" threads, not really. If people are given the opportunity to formulate and express their opinion, gain knowledge and share their insights on a topic, no matter how trivial it might seem, then I say it's all for a good cause. It keeps the brain working.
    I can't look at this as my thread even if I was the one who created it.

This website was what I read before I made this thread though.

Psychological Type profiles
    It correlates what one looks like with a type including weight factors.

^Even if that's the case, it should be taken into account that not all MBTI types correspond with Socionics.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Babies get fat because their parents feed them. Adults get fat because they feed themselves. Insignificant? So, eating habits have no effect whatsoever? What else could be there...strength of will...utterly useless?
    Pretty much, for some people eating habits will have a huge effect and for other people they will have almost none. When people are overfed in clinical trials the amount of variation in weight gain from the same amount of overfeeding is huge. Large differences in body sizes aren't caused by large differences in eating habits (although eating habits themselves in the long term may be genetic aswell) they are caused by large differences in genetics.

It is pretty much impossible to make yourself fat in the long term unless you have the genes compelling you to do so. People with slim biological parents tend to be slim even when raised by fat adoptive parents and vice versa people from fat parents that are raised by slim adoptive parents are almost always fat.

NEJM -- An adoption study of human obesity
    Adoption study of environmental modifications of t... [Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1998] - PubMed result
    Genetics of obesity in adult adoptees and their biological siblings. -- S
    Wiley InterScience :: Session Cookies
    Genetic contributions to human obesity. [Res Publ Assoc Res Nerv Ment Dis. 1991] - PubMed result
    Genetic contributions to human fatness: an adoption study -- Price et al. 144 (8): 1003 -- Am J Psychiatry
    JAMA -- Abstract: A Twin Study of Human Obesity, July 4, 1986, Stunkard et al. 256 (1): 51
    The heritability of body mass index among an international sample of monozygotic twins reared apart

It's interesting that even though we mock this thread, a lot of serious research has gone into this very question:

obesity personality - Google Scholar
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    It is pretty much impossible to make yourself fat in the long term unless you have the genes compelling you to do so. People with slim biological parents tend to be slim even when raised by fat adoptive parents and vice versa people from fat parents that are raised by slim adoptive parents are almost always fat.

It's not true. Or at least, not the way you present it. I'd even say that when I see your response, it looks like a pre-emptive defensive reaction.

Once gain, should you be true, then it could not explain why the average US citizen is so fat compared to European ones. Basically, the genes are the sames: only the consumption changes.

In my family, we take extra weight very easily. Yet my body mass index is within the "normal range" (23, a number that would make me rather slim compared to the US standards). It's a choice: it's because I know what I eat and how. You have to educate your taste buds since childhood.

The main issue is Junk Food (Pizzas, Hamburgers, Candies, Peanut butter, Corn Syrup, Palmitic oil... etc), and bad nutritional choices.

7w8 SCUxI

A Sound Mind in a Sound Body

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    ...why [is] the average US citizen is so fat compared to European ones?
    The USA has been the largest economy in the world for more than one hundred years and remains the largest economy in the world today. So naturally the citizens are the largest in the world.

But on a more serious note, the largest economy confers the largest power, and the nouveau riche express their power through eating, while the old money knows you can't be too rich or too thin.

On the other hand, power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely, so world power shows in the corruption of the American body.

And so an interesting question would be -

Is the American psyche corrupted by power as well as the body?

The Roman poet, Juvenal, taught us, "Sit mens sana in corpore sano", (a sound mind in a sound body).

And it sounds good to me.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Once gain, should you be true, then it could not explain why the average US citizen is so fat compared to European ones. Basically, the genes are the sames: only the consumption changes..
    Not true. Many people in USA have Native American genetics or African genetics or both in their family tree.