User Tag List

Thread: Storytelling

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Storytelling

If you were called upon to write a story which portrays what you know and feel about the human condition, what would you write about?

(Incomplete) Examples

CS Lewis wrote The Chronicles of Narnia to tell an allegory about believing in nobility and overcoming betrayal. It is a beloved story about what it is like to first encounter the trials of a hard and troubled world and it tells the story of how children rise to overcome these trials.

JRR Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings to tell an epic story about the human struggle against mindless ambition and the temptations we all have to give up the fight and take the easy way into darkness. But he shows that it is possible to be just strong enough to win against the evils of the world.

Jane Austen wrote Pride and Prejudice and other books which show how people rise above their social roles and respond to life in unexpected ways. In a world filled with social propriety and status, her characters show how the depth in each person transcends such social roles.

Orson Scott Card wrote Ender's Game which told the story of how it can be alienating to be a child genius who is called upon to save the world from an invasion, and it asks the deeper question of what is truly 'alien'.

Would you write a science fiction story about what it is like to live in a world where telepathy was commonplace?

Would you write an historical fiction about how the women of victorian England overcame their socially submissive roles to rise to authority figures?

Would you write about a modern day broken home and how strong people can be in the face of tragedy and mistrust?

Will it involve a young character who learns what it is to grow up in the world and discover their place in the grand scheme?

Would you tell the story about how villains become what they are and how the heroes are often the ones to push them to it? Or would you write about how people with good intentions must fight against those in the world who would unravel noble dreams in favor of their selfish grasp on power and control?

Will it be a happy ending? Will it be a sobering tale of tragedy and hubris? Will it be a satire or a comedy? Will it be a romance or a drama of epic proportions?

Given the task of capturing the essense of what it means to be human, what would you write about?
    Last edited by Apollonian; 10-18-2007 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Need to think in BBscript rather than HTML

I think the essential part of the human condition is loneliness. At least, it is my condition-- the only human condition I can know for sure.

It is about being alone despite being among others-- about facing the dilemna of being oneself and being outcast or being accepted and a fake.

It is about choosing to constrain ones intellegence and passion to appear normal or choosing to seem more insane but feel more free.

It is about choosing to be angry with others and oneself for conforming and being forced to conform, or being lonely, sad and outcast for not conforming.

It is about wanting to help others despite the fact that you are only seen as a tool to be used by them. Do you chose to be that tool and have the opportunity to help out, or demand treatment as an equal human and be alienated while missing chances to contribute?

It is about being misunderstood and dismissed based on those misunderstanding. Do you accept the dismissal and preserve the surface comfort (while fuming underneath), or do you try to clarify, incuring the annoyance of the dismiser and chance a potential escalation to open anger on both parties.

Its about life as Dilbert.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Apollonian: This board doesn't support direct HTML tags in posts. To create those underlines, you need to use BBcode.

[ u ] Text to be underlined [ / u ]

Without the spaces, of course. In other words, just change the <> into []

That being said...

I think that humanity is about illusion. Everything is an illusion. Treaties are signed in ceremonies, as if binding, and later broken.

The politician speaks charismatically about the good of the people and the nation, but ultimately looks to their own interests.

People spend hours speaking to each other, about nothing in particular or anything really new, just to preserve the illusion of friendship with someone they really don't know at all.

We believe our lives are secure, when they are only held together tenuously by a slipping thread that somehow stays intact.

We observe reality, under the illusion that it is exactly as we perceive it to be, tending not to acknowledge the limitations of our own perceptions.

Did that make sense?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I suppose I'll find out in a few decades what I'd write...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ

I donno about anyone else, but I find this thread depressing.

It's not that I don't agree with what ygolo (I totally relate to what he's saying) and athenian has said.

I just find life depressing right now...
    Sorry for any typos, spelling or grammer errors but I'm a bit preoccupied planning my wedding.
    Or if you want to read more about me and help me gain more insight to your world (I do need more experiences in life), feel free to skim through my blog.

MBTI
    INTJ

Dangit, double post. Apologies.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

MBTI
    INTJ

Both Athenian and Ygolo make good points.

Pain is the only thing I can think of to add. And, perhaps, the outcast saving those who ostracized...there is a dark amusement to the irony of such.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

whatever I'd have to say would probably be scooped up by Lifetime in a sweet deal as soon as it would be published! Then they'd read the script and decide that it was a bit too sarcastic and I wasn't quite likeable enough to be a good enough heroine. Plot of my life so far would be rather spot on for one of those hideous made for tv movies though!

MBTI
    ENFP

Default story

thats a tough one, ....... it would have to be a tale of revenge followed by forgiveness, perhaps whereby a scrap esculates leaving one man dead, leaving his beloved ones, and his murderer becomes the husband of the dead mans wife but she dosent know it was him and she marries him and the children adore him. sinister goings on show he murdered him because he planned to marry his wife, the dead guy knows this and has to come to terms with it. a tale of anger, love and loss, frustration despair revenge, followed by a good old dose of forgiveness.*sigh*