User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I lived with a horrible tooth abcess because I didn't want to disrupt the dentist's schedule, so I took his next available appointment and waited a week, while my gums swelled bigger and bigger and the pain went higher and higher. I knew once I got in there, though, that it would be soon over, so ... I am good if I know when it is going to stop.

I had a hole in my intestine except I didn't know that's what it was, it was just this very sharp pain in my lower abdomen -- I worked throughout the week with it and that weekend, I lay on the couch and pretty much had nothing to eat or drink because it hurt so much to move, Monday I forced myself to get up and go to work but I had to go lie down in the sick room for the first time in my life. So I called the nurse practitioner and she said she wanted me to call an ambulance and get admitted to a hospital. i said I thought that was a little dramatic but I would think about it. I drove 40 miles home and made sure my neighbor could take care of my cat and then I called the ambulance, but when they arrived, I screamed and burst into tears when I stood up because it hurt so badly, but I wouldn't lie down on the stretcher, I insisted I could walk. Fever was 102.5, my white count was twice as high as normal, and I was going into shock. They had a horrible time getting any blood out of my veins because I was so dehydrated. But I insisted on making civil conversation with the tech riding in the back of the truck with me. I would just scream when the truck went over a bump and it jostled my insides, but then get right back to "So, how long have you been doing this?" etc.

They kept me in the hospital for a week.

I heard recently that redheads have higher pain thresholds naturally.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

My initial reaction to pain is low tolerance. Once I calm down, I usually handle it pretty well. I was never given an epidural during childbirth, but did get some pain medication. Only the first birth was very difficult. When my youngest son was born the doctor told me it was either the easiest or the most controlled delivery he'd ever seen. My husband was very good at keeping me calm and focused and that seemed to do the trick. It was always after the delivery when they were poking around in there that I would get mean. I think by then I was over it.

I had sciatica a bit while I was pregnant and labor was nothing compared to that. That had me on the floor in tears.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I have a high pain threshold.

I relocated the middle finger of my left hand when I was in highschool.

I relocated my left shoulder my sophomore year of college.

Suffered a small second degree burn to my left forearm.

Had a tube (that was draining blood) pulled from the interior of the joint in my left elbow while off anesthetic after surgery. That really hurt.

Get punched/kicked/kneed in the face fairly regularly at MMA. To be honest, a real nasty submission hurts worse.

your resident asshole

My pain tolerance is probably pretty low because I've never experienced anything all that painful. The worst pain I've felt is leg cramps. I've never ever broken a bone. :/

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

i have a decent threshold i think. i have had tons of injuries. i had my finger crushed in a machine press, that was very painful. it had to be amputated.
    as a firefighter my arm caught on fire, the initial pain i had to push out of my mind, but it was honestly brutally painful. the worst. but then it stopped hurting because the nerves burnt. i went through rehab, and that was pretty painful too.

i knew a guy once who lost half of his hand and his entire leg in a car wreck, and when he was recovering he kept it together amazingly, refused as much pain medication as he could get away with. i was not there at the wreck so i didn't see it, but he dragged his passenger out of his car, even though he had already lost his foot and torn up his leg at that point. those are the incredible kind of people that make me feel ridiculous and insignificant.

also, i was thinking about your threshold for seeing other people's pain.
    i have a very high tolerance for seeing other people's pain and injuries, but i know some people cannot bear to see any serious injuries. i saw some crazy stuff as a firefighter.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

It's extremely high. It's mind over matter and there's something to be said for mastering pain and not letting it get the better of you. Then again, stubbing my toe seems to really piss me off!! :steam: It's like small pains are annoyances but the big ones are challenges. Also, I've noticed, for me, that's initial pain is much easier to deal with. I guess because I have to do something about it? But yeah. Healing sucks. I'm a cook at one of my jobs and during an especially busy night my co-worker walked out. I cut the tip of my finger off. (nothing like you're amputation, obviously) but my co-workers to this day still talk about how I "cut my finger off and didn't say a word."

EDIT: I just read your post above Kingfisher. It's funny you mention the people who do amazing stuff under duress and that blows my mind. To liken your example - I've always been absolutely amazed at people who have been P.O.W.'s and have been tortured and survived. I mean, it blows my mind. The strength. The mental fortitude. I'm in awe and humbled by those people.

Damn! One more thing...I've thought of going back to school to become a Paramedic and that is something that I've struggled with. Could I deal with seeing some pretty gruesome things. I wish paramedics did "ride-alongs" like cops do. Is there a good way to figure out if I could stomach this? Go to a morgue maybe? View an autopsy? Just guesses.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post

I had sciatica a bit while I was pregnant and labor was nothing compared to that. That had me on the floor in tears.
    Oh gosh yes, I had that for the last 4 weeks of my first pregnancy and even getting to the bathroom would make me tear up lol it was awful.

Some posters mentioned planned pain being something they disliked whilst being able to handle other types of pain. Turns out the girl I used in my example, who refuses all pain meds during labour and doesn't even cry out, actually needs to be put to sleep before any dentist can work on her teeth.

Oddly, it is planned pain like dentists, or tattoos that I find easiest to bear. I psyche myself up for it and just get on with it.

Hmm, labour is planned pain though, and no psyching myself up helped with that pain though. Strange haha.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    I just read your post above Kingfisher. It's funny you mention the people who do amazing stuff under duress and that blows my mind. To liken your example - I've always been absolutely amazed at people who have been P.O.W.'s and have been tortured and survived. I mean, it blows my mind. The strength. The mental fortitude. I'm in awe and humbled by those people.
    yeah, me too. people enduring incredible situations and not just falling to pieces... not only not falling to pieces, but becoming stronger, being so strong and unshakeable, having such a presence of mind and willpower. i agree, it blows my mind.

Damn! One more thing...I've thought of going back to school to become a Paramedic and that is something that I've struggled with. Could I deal with seeing some pretty gruesome things. I wish paramedics did "ride-alongs" like cops do. Is there a good way to figure out if I could stomach this? Go to a morgue maybe? View an autopsy? Just guesses.
    actually some places do let you ride along with paramedics. some colleges and hospitals have programs where students can ride along. i don't really know the details, but i do know it's not a complete impossibility. i think if you talk to different places, and let them know you are seriously interested in EMS you might find a ride along.

Then again, stubbing my toe seems to really piss me off!! :steam: It's like small pains are annoyances but the big ones are challenges.
    now that i think about it, when i stub my toe or do something really minor, i make a big show of it. swear and wave my injury around. but it is really just theatrical rather than genuine annoyance.

I believe myself to have a low pain threshold. I think I am just very sensitive and have never really experienced anything extremely painful. One time I was at a dentist and he accidently hit one of my nerves or whatever with the drill. It sent a horrific, excruciating shock throughout my entire body. I was so scared after that. He had only barely touched me in one tiny little area in my mouth, and it had caused so much pain.

I had always wished humans had the ability to just choose to turn off their pain switch, in case they were being tortured or whatever. Sometimes I even fantasized about having a necklace that was filled with a heroin + cyanide mix, where I would drink if I knew I was about to die some horrible way. It's morbid, but it's just a thought.

relatively high tolerance for both pain in myself and pain in others