User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Thread: Body shape...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I guess I'm a mix of pear shaped and hourglass shaped. I definitely have the shoulder-width and hip-width and small waist, but I lack the bust as it all sits lower on my body

Definitely Endomorphs from the second link.

I have no idea how to dress for my body shape.

I barely know how to dress, moreless with matching coordinating clothes, moreless for my body shape.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

i'm definitely an ectomorph, kind of a combo of the hourglass & tube -i'm tall and thin but i have more of a defined waist, bust, and hips - which is not as great as it sounds; pants that fit are so hard to find when you need longer, narrower legs but a wider top to accommodate the hips...sometimes it seems like clothing is designed either for straight, hipless stick girls or curvy, voluptuous women - i need something in between!

even buying tshirts can be tricky.. size extra small fits my arms and shoulders best, but then my boobs get squished and it ends up being a midriff top because of my long torso.

everyone has problems with these sorts of things, it seems. i don't think most women (or men) fit the generic model of proportions that most clothing is tailored to fit.. and as previously stated, we all have at least a little bit of the 'grass is greener' syndrome (sigh... if only i had the legs for shorter skirts)!
    but we should all realize that beauty is more in proportions than in specific forms..all shapes and sizes can look stunning, if properly presented, and that's what fashion should be about - not about putting everyone into the same mould.

i laughed at the names 'racy ruler' and 'lollipop'.. it's nice to be reinforced to feel good about my shape (i was always pretty embarrassed of it as a teen in the era of big boobs and butts), but rather than flattery i'd just like to find a few more shops that have clothing that fits me and is my style!

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.."
    -Oscar Wilde

I hate my body shape, its rather triangular, you know broad shoulders no hips long skinny legs. I used to get teased endlessly when I was in middle school because I was that tall lanky girl with absolutely no curves. Now I've filled in a bit more on the top but I'm still hopeless in the hips area. I think the only type of clothes that actually would look nice on me and make me look more proportionate would be flared darkwash jeans and a top with an empire waist.

I look ridiculous in skinny jeans and leggings =( my legs look like chicken legs...and I have no idea where I got my body type since my mom is an hour glass and my aunts are one too.
    Men are like parking spaces/the good ones are always taken and the ones left are handicapped or to small.

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm like a shrunken hour glass. Very small boned. I spent a year in Korea and was so excited because I thought I would be able to find clothes to buy and fit me right away. Yeah right, nothing going past my thigh. I have to bump up in sizes to get past them and then have to get them taken in to button snugly.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic Darkness View Post
    I hate my body shape, its rather triangular, you know broad shoulders no hips long skinny legs. I used to get teased endlessly when I was in middle school because I was that tall lanky girl with absolutely no curves. Now I've filled in a bit more on the top but I'm still hopeless in the hips area. I think the only type of clothes that actually would look nice on me and make me look more proportionate would be flared darkwash jeans and a top with an empire waist.

I look ridiculous in skinny jeans and leggings =( my legs look like chicken legs...and I have no idea where I got my body type since my mom is an hour glass and my aunts are one too.
    Try the gok link - then tab along to see his tips, there are loads of ways to dress your figure to balance it out a bit... Colours and accessories can be amazing... hes good at findign ways to balance proportions...

MBTI
    INXP

Why does he look so idiotic himself then?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tewt View Post
    I'm like a shrunken hour glass. Very small boned. I spent a year in Korea and was so excited because I thought I would be able to find clothes to buy and fit me right away. Yeah right, nothing going past my thigh. I have to bump up in sizes to get past them and then have to get them taken in to button snugly.
    Nothing works, I guess we all have to dress the biggest part of us, then get things altered where they don't fit....

I think pitete and very long limbs are murder, the former because clothes really are cut differently (many chain stores have pitete ranges now), but tall girls there are very few long tall sally shops around.... it always makes you look like you've bogught something too small.

phthalocyanine - finding possitive things about your body shape is important, there are at least 20% of women would kill to have you xxxxx

kyuuei you're in luck, the UK is dominated by pear shapes, so try Gok's tabed bits, or just surf for info... there is loads out there and loads of ways to get balance....

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Tewt View Post
    When buying/trying on bottoms...do you get it with some stretch to it? You don't have to go up a size. When I get pants I always get them with 2-5% spandex (usually 2%) and I have wide hips and thick legs.

---------------------------------

To answer the OP: I'm pear shaped.
    Om–ba–ara–minaya–sabaha
    4w5 sx/so/sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

i agree, tinkerbell, everyone should be proud of what nature gave 'em!

just look at the artwork and fashion from different places and eras and it's plain to see that the common perception of beauty changes - it really is in the eye of the beholder.

just because society may promote one or two archetypes as most beautiful or handsome today doesn't mean it will always be viewed in that way in 10 or even 5 years. i'm only 22 and in my lifetime i have seen the popular female aesthetic go from heroin chic to more curvy and recently back down again to something in between..

if anything, this has taught me not to pay too much mind to what society at large thinks. healthy body image is important; it is connected to both our physical and mental health -- i cringe to think that so many people are concerned with appearance over how healthy they are physically or emotionally. we need to keep in mind that we all have different bone structures, ranging from delicate and wispy to large and strong, and different proportions and lengths, and what a healthy weight for one person may simply be unhealthy for another.

i'll admit that sometimes i wish i was a bit thicker-not because i'm not happy with what i've got, but just so people didn't so often assume things about my character based on my physique - i'm sure we all have been there - if you're thin you must be vain and snobbish, if you're bigger you must not eat right or be lazy, if you're a woman with an athletic body type you're less feminine - these stereotypes are ridiculous & can be more harmful in my opinion than simple value judgments like 'good' or 'bad'. the last time i checked, there wasn't a correlation between personality type and body shape - if there was it'd probably be on that socionics page along with the faces!

hm..is there a fashion thread anywhere round here? i don't want to hijack this one, but i think it might be helpful to share links and stuff, especially if there are folks who'd like some suggestions for clothing to suit their shape..

one thing about fashion that's also sort of interesting is choosing the right colors for you. this extends from makeup and hair to clothing, of course.. sometimes certain colors are 'in season' and everyone and their mother goes out and buys a dress or top in that color - whether or not it suits them. this is unfortunate! the right choice of colors for your body shape and your natural coloring can really make a difference..

/tangent

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.."
    -Oscar Wilde

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I thought cornet with the trinny one and I come up classic cone on Gok. I'm not sure what I am but I always looked like a coat hanger, as does my oldest. It's funny to see my body walking around on an 11 year old who has a face that looks nothing like mine.

I really have no idea what looks good on me and was never interested in finding out. Isn't that awful!