User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    EIE

I, personally wouldn't recommend it. If you have problems at home, rather suck it up for now and just do everything to be able to move out ASAP.

I did the 'living on the streets thing' for around a week in Ireland, while looking for a job there, and it was pretty hard. And it was summer and I was with a friend, so these made it much easier. We almost got beat up+mugged once, but I talked them out of it (it would probably repeat after some time - people living on the streets fight for their life, while you'd just.. 'show your ma!', so the motivation levels are not the same..)
    Anyway, you'd probably manage to do this for a while, but better focus on getting yourself some job or an apartment - I know the: 'hard times at home' way too well, not to understand you, though. I keep my fingers crossed.

Biaxident: Great, great respect for being able to get back to life from living on the streets - it's one way road for most of the people. Respect!
    "Act as though it was impossible to fail."
    Dorothea Brande

I started a real blog!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Oh, wait, this is about not wanting to live with your parents?

I know that feeling all too well...

But I'm absolutely terrified at thought of living in the streets. That's the thought that keeps me from impulsively buying a plane ticket and flying to New York or Chicago, because I'm so sick of being stuck in a city where people expect you to drive a car, and so sick of feeling uncomfortably obligated to my mother because she's providing for me.

I always think to myself, "I've got enough money to live there for a week or two, maybe a month. Surely I could figure something out in that time. Surely the awareness of time constraints would be more of a motivator than knowing I'll be fine no matter what." But then another part goes, "But what if you DON'T? You'll be in the streets. And you won't have access to a shower, you'll stink, won't have an address, so you couldn't even get a job. You'd be screwed. Just wait, the motivation will come somehow, even though there are no consequences for you where you are. You've waited two years for it, you can wait another two."

I'm not scared of living with no possessions, sleeping in a room on the floor, even drinking water out of my hands, buying the cheapest food available and supplementing it with vitamins. The difference between living a bare existence in a walled room, even if it's nothing else, and living in the streets, is HUGE.

Sigh. I think it's pretty sorry that people even have to live in the streets just because they don't have money. Nobody should have to... NOBODY. I mean, we even give prison cells to criminals. Why do the people who haven't done anything wrong deserve less? Sometimes that actually makes me wonder if homeless people commit crimes just so they can go to jail... would explain a lot, actually.

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    ill go through entire summers without a.c. or even a fan just to prove to myself that these things are wants and not needs
    I'll go through entire summers with the AC on because it's more comfortable.

Am I doing it right?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    Watch me.
    Pics or it didn't happen

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    ill go through entire summers without a.c. or even a fan just to prove to myself that these things are wants and not needs
    Well, you know what you OUGHT to do? Go through an entire summer with the HEAT on. And then, go through an entire winter with the A/C on.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Hmmm.. I don't understand why you wouldn't just take all that determination to find an apartment. My guess is that if you live with your mom, it will be a challenge in itself to become fully independent with a roof over your head...

I don't know why anyone would want to subject themselves to living on the streets, risking their lives and wanting to be malnourished and wet, (or hot, or cold, or whatever the weather chooses for you.) That's what people do when they don't have a choice... (or have a mental illness or debilitating addiction.) and its when you don't have a choice that its really, truly hardcore. That's when you're really proving something. But you do have a choice... So that just makes it outright silly.

I think getting an apartment or living in a tent or camper in the woods would be much more satisfying and exciting.

(Oh, and the other bonus is that you still get to go to the library!)

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Sometimes that actually makes me wonder if homeless people commit crimes just so they can go to jail... would explain a lot, actually.
    Some quite often actually. It's a way to get a shower, three meals, and a place to sleep that's warm.

It's one of the reasons certain places in a city are popular for a homeless person to hang out. They don't want to do anything really wrong, but they want to make enough of a nuisance of themselves to get taken to the station.

Or they hang around near fast food places, because many of them dump "expired" food into dumpsters, which makes easy pickings.

MBTI
    entp

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    You've misread me.
    youve failed to correct me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Uh kay. Moved from NT Rationale.
    why

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    I'll go through entire summers with the AC on because it's more comfortable.

Am I doing it right?
    if you gotta ask then obviously not

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Well, you know what you OUGHT to do? Go through an entire summer with the HEAT on. And then, go through an entire winter with the A/C on.
    the idea was to normalize to nature, not be in the 99th percentile

MBTI
    INxJ

Go ahead. If anything bad happens to you, it's your own fault.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    Watch me.
    Well, cloud, interestingly enough, I'm not thinking about what you're doing. I'm wondering if you a) are looking for reactions to gauge personality and character or b) are really going to do this? If you are really going to do this, I would like to know a) what prompted you to share it, b) what prompted you to do it? If you are NOT going to do this, I'd like to know a) what prompted you to say this and b) what are you planning to do with this information?

Yeah...
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.