User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

Default Physical Intimacy

How would you define physical intimacy between two people? What does intimacy mean to you?

Is a handshake an intimate exchange? A pat on the back? A hug? Do you consider all sex intimate? What about an unilateral hug? Is it intimate? A kiss on the cheek? A kiss on the lips?

When are you physical intimate with someone, and what does it mean to you?

Where do you draw the line of sexual intimacy. A kiss on the cheek to a lady friend is not regarded as sexual when greeting...but if you do that to a man, you get weird looks. Is it all culture-based?

Also, the polygyny thread made me think about the topic of polygamy and how it's frowned upon by society. Why is that? People are emotional and physically intimate with many people at the same time, why not sexually? What is so wrong about open relationships?

Do you think you have a well-formed idea of when and why and how you choose to be intimate intimate with someone, or do you think it's closely tied to society's expectations of you? And how closely related do you think physical intimacy is to emotional intimacy and where do you drawn the line that separates it from sexual intimacy?

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

If I touch someone, repeatedly and intentionally, that's intimacy.
    If I share with someone the inner workings of my mind, that's intimacy.As for kissing. I do the kiss greet, so I do kiss men on the cheek without it being sexual.

I see nothing wrong with open relationships or polyamory. Polygyny doesn't interest me.

Physical intimacy, in the form of sexual behavior, is an act of love, on my part. Sex is a part of a loving relationship, for me. My religious upbringing plus my own personal convictions contributed to that frame of mind. I need connection with people. Also, I'm somewhat of a germaphobe. It's a rare person I'll even drink after. I'm absolutely not letting anyone inside the gate unless they've been through some serious inspections, if you know what I mean. Further, I collect people. If I sleep with someone, I don't intend on never speaking to them ever again. I couldn't handle that. I like my relationships to extend far into the future. So for me to have slept with someone, I also had to trust that what we had was more than just a sexual relationship.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    If I touch someone, repeatedly and intentionally, that's intimacy.
    If I share with someone the inner workings of my mind, that's intimacy.As for kissing. I do the kiss greet, so I do kiss men on the cheek without it being sexual.

I see nothing wrong with open relationships or polyamory. Polygyny doesn't interest me.

Physical intimacy, in the form of sexual behavior, is an act of love, on my part. Sex is a part of a loving relationship, for me. My religious upbringing plus my own personal convictions contributed to that frame of mind. I need connection with people. Also, I'm somewhat of a germaphobe. It's a rare person I'll even drink after. I'm absolutely not letting anyone inside the gate unless they've been through some serious inspections, if you know what I mean. Further, I collect people. If I sleep with someone, I don't intend on never speaking to them ever again. I couldn't handle that. I like my relationships to extend far into the future. So for me to have slept with someone, I also had to trust that what we had was more than just a sexual relationship.
    Thanks for sharing EnFpFer. Interesting. Would you consider yourself polyamorous?

Aside from the sexual aspect, do you think there is anything particular about the kind of intimacy had in a romantic relationship?

If you could, would you like to be emotionally/physically intimate with the greatest amount of people possible? Do you think that says anything about the value you place on being emotionally/physically intimate with someone?

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm a touchy feely person,
    If I'm trying to be riendly and reassuring I may touch a person... but it's mild intimacy... I loath people invading my personal space if I don't want them there...
    I'm quite huggy
    It progresses from there with more intimate touch, even with non sexual partners.
    Obviously the more sexcal it gets the more intimate it is, even with sex.... the more emotionally connected you are the more intimate it can be pysically, until it feels like you are one whole entity....

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I usually don't feel comfortable touching people, so if I do touch someone, whether it's a pat on the back, holding of hands, a hug, or anything else, then that is definately an intimate expression for me. But other people who are simply "huggers", who hug everybody as soon as they meet them, well, I don't feel intimacy in their physical contact. It doesn't mean as much to me when it comes from a touchy-feeling person because they are not bestowing upon me any special bit of affection that they do not show everybody else.
    Also, I don't like it when people use the phrase "intimate with" interchangeably with "had sex with." Sex can be the most intimate experience in the world, but it can also just be two people simply satiating their own physical needs. Intimate Lovers and "friends with benefits" are two totally different relationships.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.
    ~ Groucho Marx

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Sure, if you're offering.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Sure, if you're offering.

Classic EcK. Claaaasic EcK.
    I 96% N 93% T 75% P 63% 5w4 sp/sx/so ILI
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Si>Fi>Se>Fe
    I'm interested in what you percieve me to be. Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INFP

In the right context eye contact can be incredibly intimate.

MBTI
    INTJ

Unless its bareback anal, it's not intimate.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Star W View Post
    I usually don't feel comfortable touching people, so if I do touch someone, whether it's a pat on the back, holding of hands, a hug, or anything else, then that is definately an intimate expression for me. But other people who are simply "huggers", who hug everybody as soon as they meet them, well, I don't feel intimacy in their physical contact. It doesn't mean as much to me when it comes from a touchy-feeling person because they are not bestowing upon me any special bit of affection that they do not show everybody else.
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by Star W View Post
    Also, I don't like it when people use the phrase "intimate with" interchangeably with "had sex with." Sex can be the most intimate experience in the world, but it can also just be two people simply satiating their own physical needs. Intimate Lovers and "friends with benefits" are two totally different relationships.
    And what does, in your opinion, separate the two, in terms of intimacy? You can be deeply intimate on an emotional level with a friend. Physically too, if it's a "friends with benefits". So, what kind of intimacy is missing?