User Tag List

123 Last

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Default Stop hitting yourself.

Okay- I want people to document conversations that they have had with themselves in which they were arguing with themselves and share which side of themself won.

We all argue and somehow lose arguments with oursleves.
    Our emotional side will beat out the logical side for example. It's true and it isn't crazy that is just an unfounded myth.

Would anyone like to share an argument they have had with themself?

The very next argument I have with myself I will share here.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

MBTI
    OMNi

Here is the one I had yesterday.

-I need to drop that cell biology class because I did not do well on the last test.
    +If you drop the class you will get a W and that will look terrible on your transcript.
    -But if I don't drop the class then chances are good that I will end up with a C or worse and that will hurt my GPA.
    +But to some people a W looks as bad as an F. They are going to think you can't follow through and you won't be able to get admitted to the program once you apply. You already have one W on your transcript.
    -But the class doesn't go toward my major or even my degree. It's useless and it's a lot of work. I didn't realize I would be changing my major when I took it. I'm sure people can see that when they look at my transcript.
    +You will just be proving that you are incompetent if you give up now. Plus if you drop now then you will only be taking 10 credits. Thats 2 short of full time. Not to mention you paid for this class so that is money down the drain.
    -I could take another class in it's place, one that would go toward my major and that I would do far better on. And it's my money so I can decide what to do with it. I might have to pay a few extra class fees and a book, but that is fine with me.
    +You have changed your major so many times. How are you sure that this is the right path? Wouldn't it be smart to stick with the class in case you decide to come back.
    -But I have already decided that I don't like this major and it isn't for me. I have a much better feeling about this new social work major. I can actually see myself doing that for rest of my life.
    +A year ago you saw yourself teaching biology for the rest of your life. Your indecisiveness is going to be your undoing. You are already 2 years behind because of stuff like this. Get your head on straight.
    -A year ago the situation was different and I have a much better outlook on life now.
    +Regardless, you have put in this much work in the class so far and by dropping it you also have to drop the lab. Just think how that will look to your fellow classmates.
    -Why should I care what my classmates think? They aren't my friends and they aren't going to live my life for me.
    +You have absolutely no idea how the professor is going to grade the class. Sure you did poorly on this test, but you might do much better on the next one and she might grade the class on a favorable curve.
    -That is true, but I shouldn't have taken this class without all the necessary pre-reqs. I'm starting to feel where I lack in my chemistry and the gap is only going to increase as the semester goes on.
    +Go talk to the professor, get a chemistry book, talk to a tutor. If you put in more effort you can pull it off. You just want to ditch now because you are lazy and inept. You are forming a habit where you quit when the going gets tough. You have only yourself to blame for letting it get this bad. If you had spent more time studying and less time on forums you would have probably done much better.
    -It was a tough test and I think I deserve to have a little fun. It's hard to do well in a class that you have little interest in and that doesn't apply toward where you are going.
    +Well at least go talk to an adviser and see what they would recommend.
    -Will do.

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't ever argue with myself. I will, however, sometimes persuade myself to adopt a different mindset.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Here is the one I had yesterday.

-I need to drop that cell biology class because I did not do well on the last test.
    +If you drop the class you will get a W and that will look terrible on your transcript.
    -But if I don't drop the class then chances are good that I will end up with a C or worse and that will hurt my GPA.
    +But to some people a W looks as bad as an F. They are going to think you can't follow through and you won't be able to get admitted to the program once you apply. You already have one W on your transcript.
    -But the class doesn't go toward my major or even my degree. It's useless and it's a lot of work. I didn't realize I would be changing my major when I took it. I'm sure people can see that when they look at my transcript.
    +You will just be proving that you are incompetent if you give up now. Plus if you drop now then you will only be taking 10 credits. Thats 2 short of full time. Not to mention you paid for this class so that is money down the drain.
    -I could take another class in it's place, one that would go toward my major and that I would do far better on. And it's my money so I can decide what to do with it. I might have to pay a few extra class fees and a book, but that is fine with me.
    +You have changed your major so many times. How are you sure that this is the right path? Wouldn't it be smart to stick with the class in case you decide to come back.
    -But I have already decided that I don't like this major and it isn't for me. I have a much better feeling about this new social work major. I can actually see myself doing that for rest of my life.
    +A year ago you saw yourself teaching biology for the rest of your life. Your indecisiveness is going to be your undoing. You are already 2 years behind because of stuff like this. Get your head on straight.
    -A year ago the situation was different and I have a much better outlook on life now.
    +Regardless, you have put in this much work in the class so far and by dropping it you also have to drop the lab. Just think how that will look to your fellow classmates.
    -Why should I care what my classmates think? They aren't my friends and they aren't going to live my life for me.
    +You have absolutely no idea how the professor is going to grade the class. Sure you did poorly on this test, but you might do much better on the next one and she might grade the class on a favorable curve.
    -That is true, but I shouldn't have taken this class without all the necessary pre-reqs. I'm starting to feel where I lack in my chemistry and the gap is only going to increase as the semester goes on.
    +Go talk to the professor, get a chemistry book, talk to a tutor. If you put in more effort you can pull it off. You just want to ditch now because you are lazy and inept. You are forming a habit where you quit when the going gets tough. You have only yourself to blame for letting it get this bad. If you had spent more time studying and less time on forums you would have probably done much better.
    -It was a tough test and I think I deserve to have a little fun. It's hard to do well in a class that you have little interest in and that doesn't apply toward where you are going.
    +Well at least go talk to an adviser and see what they would recommend.
    -Will do.
    Wow- that was a great argument. You are a worthy opponent to yourself,lol That was awesome- thank you for sharing

I am being too amiable to myself right now to get into an argument- but it will happen- it always does,lol.

MBTI
    WOLF

Mine aren't that briliiant. I have one that repeats every morning:

-Get up
    *no
    -get your lazy behind off the bed/sofa/floor
    *noooooo
    -I'm gonna count to three
    *go ahead, see if I care
    -one,
    *bah
    -two
    *whatever
    -three
    *oh come ON
    -If you don't get up right now, I'll push you over the edge of the bed so you'll end up on the floor.

I do end up on the floor a lot, but both sides win fairly evenly distributed.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex View Post

-Get up
    *no
    *noooooo
    *go ahead, see if I care
    -one,
    *bah
    -two
    *whatever
    -three
    *oh come ON
    -If you don't get up right now, I'll push you over the edge of the bed so you'll end up on the floor.

Oh that's gold- that's pure gold! I love it!

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex View Post

-Get up
    *no
    *noooooo
    *go ahead, see if I care
    -one,
    *bah
    -two
    *whatever
    -three
    *oh come ON

I found a pretty good solution to this one. I wake up early enough that I have more than enough time to get ready in the morning. I then tell myself that if I get up and get ready I can lay back down for the remaining time. It works all the time 60% of the time.

MBTI
    WOLF

Thanks Ladypinkington

Kiddo; that would be great if I could get myself to do it, but it just doesn't work for me. I seriously hate mornings, so I'll spend as much time as possible in bed. Self-discipline is something foreign that might exist in theory on another continent in the morning

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

A: Hey, I need to do my math homework.
    B: I don't feel like it. I want to go online or read something.
    A: You always wait until the last minute to do that stuff.
    B: But I always get it done on time, don't I?
    A: Yes, but you always have to rush through, and I never know if you did it right. I'm sick of it.
    B: Oh, be quiet. I made a 92 on that last test.
    A: But what if it's harder next time? I don't want to look like a slacker.
    B: You could always retake it or something. And you already know all of this stuff from earlier classes. It's all simple pattern recognition.
    A: That's just sloppy. I want to do it perfectly.
    B: Even when you study, you don't always do perfectly. Remember that time you didn't study for your IP&C test, and still got a 100?
    A: I was just lucky that time. The questions were all easy, and the teacher drilled us on it so much I couldn't help but remember.
    B: I also seem to recall a time when you read a chapter five times, and were so stressed out that you drew a complete blank on test day.
    A: I didn't absorb the material properly, and my readings were too close together. Also, I didn't eat breakfast that morning. My method is better in the long run.
    B: Whatever.

A usually wins, thankfully... but B seems to win about once every month for some reason. Although I never seem to get started on homework the minute I get home, but usually wait until a couple hours before going to bed, and if it takes a long time, I have to stay up a couple hours late, and get only six or so hours of sleep. If I have a very large amount to do, I'll get started as soon as I get home, but I'll be so irritated, bored, tired, and whiny, that my work will be about 20% lower in quality.

MBTI
    infp

Heres my emotional thoughts/illioligcal side fighting my logical side about my math class.

A will be illilogical, B will be logical

A: This is retarded, theres really no point in me taking this
    B: But... obviously you have to, its a madnatory class. At least you don't have to take it next year
    A: But why take it at all? I don't enjoy doing it, I don't understand it half the time, I'm sure as hell not going to study it ever again
    B: But there are a lot of jobs that need this
    A: Yah, but non of them interest me, especially if I have to do this stuff.
    B: Well, you still have to do it
    A: Its obviously pointless though, its of no real educational value to me. I don't get any kind of satisfaction from doing this work, it doesn't feel productive at all. Plus, the class is a zoo, its too damn loud and crowded to do anything anyway.
    B: But you need to do it to finish high school
    A: I know that, but it doesn't matter, whats the point? I'm only going to pass so I never have to do it again, and so my parents will finally shut up about my grades.

A is more dominant, but B still has strong enough influence to allow me to hover at 56%, which is right about where it should be.