User Tag List

12 Last

Default Texting Question

Assuming you aren't an obsessive texter yourself (and considering it's 2009, I'm sure I've just excluded 75% of people reading this), what do you do about people who constantly send banal updates on their lives to you via text quite a few times a day?

I know the easy response is "just don't respond," but I don't want to seem rude or look like I'm ignoring someone I generally like very much.

Nothing to be worried about in the grand scheme of life, I know, but I figured what the hell.

And to the people who insist on texting things like "lol I'm walking across the street lol" multiple times a day to their friends... please get a hobby!

Phantonym

Tell. Them. To. Stop. In a nice but decisive way

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Isn't that what Facebook and Twitter is for? As far as I'm concerned, Nobody I know uses texts to do that. Everybody has a Facebook/Twitter mobile account.
    I like Thirty-eights revolving like the sun round the Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Tell. Them. To. Stop. In a nice but decisive way
    Yeah, but I don't want to make them nervous about when they can contact me or make it into some sort of an issue. I'm all for communicating with my friends; it's just that texting has become the automatic go-to when bored for some people. I'm guilty of it too on some occasions (e.g. standing in line), but I hate this texting culture which has overtaken the nation.

Actually, if we could somehow to back to a world without cellphones, I'd do it in a second.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Tell them to stop trying to look busy because they're embarassed about the girl/boy in front of them/passing by thinking they were looking at them
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Quote Originally Posted by LEVINA View Post
    Isn't that what Facebook and Twitter is for? As far as I'm concerned, Nobody I know uses texts to do that. Everybody has a Facebook/Twitter mobile account.
    Funny thing is that I don't even know too many people who actually use Twitter on a regular basis. As for Facebook... the people who update their status five times a day annoy the fuck out of me, especially when it's about the ups and downs of their relationships. However, at least Facebook doesn't require a direct response, and it gives you the ability to hide annoying people.

I know a TON of people who use texting to just send dumb shit like "whats up" and "lol" back and forth all day.

Phantonym

You need to voice your concerns if this bothers you that much. It's still going to be an issue but if you don't talk to your friends about it, it's never going to get resolved and you'll only get more resentful. Assure your friends that it's nothing personal and you do want to communicate with them but maybe through different channels that might suit both you and them.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by theplacesyoullgo View Post
    Funny thing is that I don't even know too many people who actually use Twitter on a regular basis. As for Facebook... the people who update their status five times a day annoy the fuck out of me, especially when it's about the ups and downs of their relationships. However, at least Facebook doesn't require a direct response, and it gives you the ability to hide annoying people.

I know a TON of people who use texting to just send dumb shit like "whats up" and "lol" back and forth all day.
    LOL Yes. I have that kinda spam all day long. I just ignore it however, I don't want to send one worded texts all day long. I do talk to them for decent amount of time once a day however. I know if you atleast say Hi to a person, they won't think you're mad at them.

Yeah, I'll think about bringing it up... I'm trying to view that as a last resort though, if only because people are sometimes more sensitive than you'd think.

LEVINA, I'm with you on the one word texts, but I also don't get the super long text conversations people have either. Isn't it easier to just type an email or make a phone call than spend 10x the time hitting little keys on a phone? Like, why does everything have to be done by TEXT these days? I don't get the appeal short of sending a few amusing things back and forth.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by theplacesyoullgo View Post
    Yeah, I'll think about bringing it up... I'm trying to view that as a last resort though, if only because people are sometimes more sensitive than you'd think.

LEVINA, I'm with you on the one word texts, but I also don't get the super long text conversations people have either. Isn't it easier to just type an email or make a phone call than spend 10x the time hitting little keys on a phone? Like, why does everything have to be done by TEXT these days? I don't get the appeal short of sending a few amusing things back and forth.
    I seriously do not either. But I guess some people don't have a IM (I'm used to the fast paced IM-ing so it's weird having to wait 1 minute for my text to get back) they can use or can't talk on the phone (Probably too busy being "busy") so they want you to know "OMG RIGHTAWAY!" even though they can't announce it to the world what you are doing. Texting is also pretty convinient. You guys are connected the majority of the time and don't have to be at a computer or finish the conversation in one sitting.

This reminds me of a time when I went to a Arby's and a group of nurses and doctors came in for lunch. I texted my friend saying I am going to go up to them and ask them to revive my hamburger. I so did, but apparently I would have been less obvious if I dialed them up and said hey I'm going to do this. (Long message I guess, this one took up all my allowed character spaces).