User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Handshakes

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Limp, damp handshakes are by far the worst! And I hate limp handshakes from a man. Yes, Kyrielle, you're right - similar to hugs it would be normal to squeeze a little w/o being bonecrushing. That's what's puzzling me here. Usually you also gauge the tightness of hug according to the other person's initiation (or response). I would think that a handshake would be the same, no?

Phantonym

I dislike shaking hands, I always get a compulsive urge to wash my hands as quickly as possible. But I guess one's got to do what one's got to do. It would be much weirder not to shake hands when one is offered to you. I am a firm believer in firm handshakes. Always have, always will be. And I don't consider it a bad thing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Nothing worse than a wimpy handshake from either gender.
    I'm not looking for bone-crushers, just basic confidence.
    +1

I'm not too keen on people who only grasp the other person's fingertips nor people who carry on talking while still holding the hand either.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Is it so rare for women to return with a firm handshake? Is this a bad thing? Men, what do you think?
    I love it when a gal' has the "Grip 'O' Death" handshake!

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I love it when a gal' has the "Grip 'O' Death" handshake!
    yeah, so do i.

i like shaking hands, there are so many infinte ways to do it, it's very expressive. i always shake hands with everyone, that is the first thing i do - shake your hand. i go out of my way to shake hands.

also i know a lot of construction workers, laborers, and firemen. and we do tend to really crush each other.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    I'm not too keen on people who only grasp the other person's fingertips...
    Like the way I do.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I used to be cautious recieving handshakes from random old guys ("You there! Welcome to our store! I am (blah) and I shall be your service guy today! -extends hands-) and classmates who are horny guys out of fear 10 minutes ago they could have been (ahem) and forgot to wash their hands.

Ha, kidding aside. I admit I have a very limp handshake, I don't like to grab people's hands. It's easier if we fist bump or something.
    I like Thirty-eights revolving like the sun round the Earth.

MBTI
    INTJ

I could care less how a girl shakes my hand. With men, on the other hand, it is important. A misplaced hand that results in a weak handshake is one thing, but when a guy just gives me a wet noodle handshake I can't help but immediately think negatively.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Through doing a lot of busking I thought a lot more about handshakes. I also found on campus in the States, kids shook hands a lot more than where I was from when they met each other. I think I kind of like handshakes. Less contact than a hug, and yet some expression of being glad to meet someone and a way to gauge a little bit about them.

I learned to grasp only the fingertips when shaking hands of drunk or slightly creepy people (that way you can let go when you want to instead of being held against your will by their thumb!). Teaching kids later on about performing in public, we ended up talking quite a bit about what a handshake says about you and practicing it. I had never thought before about how strength of grip, making your thumbs meet and eye contact come together all at the same time to give people an impression of who you are.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Interesting to see the reactions to a custom that was originally meant to establish trust between two people by checking if they had any weapons on them
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

In a business setting, I like the firm handshake from either gender.
    In a social setting, I prefer the introductory cheek kiss to the handshake. Or, actually, just a "hello".