User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Default Other's perceptions of you

Are you curious about what other people think of you?

Do you care one way or the other? (Why or why not?)

Are their perceptions of you usually accurate?

I had a conversation with an ESTJ once who found it puzzling that I was even curious as to how others perceived me. I think most INFJs find that they are often misperceived but in very different ways. I think for me it does matter because I care to some extent what people think, although sometimes it is just a source of amusement.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i don't think too much about it because i guess in person i always feel like i can tell.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I usually am not aware of this/how I act, so 9/10 times when people tell me whats-a happening that includes impressions of me, I go "...really now? "

Of course I'm curious, but It usually does not come up in daily conversation so I don't think much of it. Yes, I do care, however only to a certain degree.

I have no idea what perceptions people have of me other than the "has no manners" and "annoying little person".
    I like Thirty-eights revolving like the sun round the Earth.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

As far as I'm concerned anyone who hates me can kiss my ass.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    As far as I'm concerned anyone who hates me can kiss my ass.
    That reminds me of that time when I showed my friend that Lady Sovereign song and she was like "Dude... That's like... Your theme song." to me.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYrXH2ZbEw4"]Love me or hate me"[/YOUTUBE]
    I like Thirty-eights revolving like the sun round the Earth.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by LEVINA View Post
    I have no idea what perceptions people have of me other than the "has no manners" and "annoying little person".
    i don't even pick up on that much.
    i never know what anybody thinks of me. i am always surprised when i find out. i am fine with it, i don't worry about it.

sometimes i don't even know what i think about other people.
    i can't really gauge relationships. are we friends? i have no idea.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I care what other people think of me. I mean, people who I know irl, I care absolutely. I don't know why I care. Probably because I want to be liked by people I who I like, and I consider myself to be a very nice person. If someone doesn't like me, I want to know why. At the same time, eventually I take on a "love me or leave me" attitude. I don't know. I have fortunately not had too many encounters with people I can't/don't get along with.

There's this Facebook application that let's your friends determine your Big5 and compare it against your own evaluation of yourself. About 15% of my friends have evaluated me and here's the comparison:

Openness Self-Rating 88%
    Your Friends' Rating 89%

Conscientiousness Self-Rating 40%
    Your Friends' Rating 75%

Extraversion Self-Rating 64%
    Your Friends' Rating 86%

Agreeableness Self-Rating 63%
    Your Friends' Rating 64%

Neuroticism Self-Rating 28%
    Your Friends' Rating 23%

So I guess that their perception of me is pretty accurate when compared to my perception of myself. Works for me.

MBTI
    ISTP

At my current job (of seven years) I was told that when I first arrived many people thought I was an dick. Maybe because my humor can be sarcastic and biting and I can keep a straight face after saying something offensive that I find funny. I don't say things to hurt people's feelings but I like to get a rise out of people. If someone tells me that I hurt their feelings I will apologize and mean it since that was not my intention. I am hard to read by people who don't know me. Beyond that, I don't know how people perceive me and I don't lose any sleep not knowing.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It was always extremely important to me what other people thought of me. When someone misjudged me, it just devastated me, and I would expend large amounts of energy trying to correct their opinion... not a great way to live.

I took it to mean eventually that my locus of identity was outside myself and that it wasn't healthy. So I changed that.

No, their perceptions weren't usually as accurate as I had hoped. On occasion, studying their reasons, I did get a better idea of how I can come off to people who are not similar to me, and that helped me understand their reactions better and head off bad ones. But in general I only found some people who could understand me easily.

Ironically that initial insecurity I think is why I try so hard to communicate myself to people. So it led to some skilled behavior that nowadays I can use to my advantage, but still, it was being driven by insecurities.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

I suppose I'm probably pretty self conscious about how I'm perceived by people. The ultimate irony being that I'm probably equally bad at really knowing what people think about me.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume