User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Other's perceptions of you

I don't think people most really know me well or get a good idea of what I'm like right away. I've accepted it, it doesn't bother me so much now, I just laugh thinking about what people assume.

I think I can come off arrogant, aloof, ditzy, overdramatic (not the best confidence so I might overcompensate), uptight, reserved, too unassertive, humble, considerate, funny, smart, calm. This is a combination of several people's perceptions.

I'm very aware of how people see me. I like to put myself in different roles when I'm with "new" people, kind of like experimenting with how people see me when I act like someone else.

I love going to museums or yuppie bars and using my redneck voice and wearing tucked in t-shirts and jeans and muddy boots. its fun.

I don't care what people think, as long as I have a hand in shaping their perception.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

I've been called (directly) and perceived as a:

• Geek
    • Nerd
    • Bouncer
    • Gigolo
    • Movie-star
    • Bodyguard
    • Prostitute
    • Stripper
    • Professor
    • Doctor
    • Club Owner
    • Club Promoter
    • Bartender
    • Assassin
    • Rapper

And my attitude is...

Who cares what other people think! They can think whatever they choose. I'll think what I think about me.

Quote Originally Posted by LEVINA View Post
    I have no idea what perceptions people have of me other than the "has no manners" and "annoying little person".

When I was younger, I used to not care enough.
    After age 30, I started to care too much.
    Not sure what happened,
    but a happy medium would sure be nice.

4dw sx/so
    IEx None

I used to care immensly what others thought. I've gotten a lot better. But I'm still curious as to how others percieve me..not out of fear of being judged or disliked anymore, but genuine curiosity to see how they perceive me but especially *why* they perceive me a certain way, what the triggers were for those thoughts, etc. I find it fascinating to see how certain small details can impact others so much

Permabanned Array

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Are you curious about what other people think of you?
    It ONLY matters when you need something from someone, and since that is an ever pervasive need, it always matters to some degree so I try to keep a handle on how others perceive me, though often I tend to get a bit lazy on that job.

Kraken down on piracy Array Lux's Avatar

Are you curious about what other people think of you?

I'm very curious. I always spend time thinking about who people are why they do what they do and I often wonder how I come across.

I always try to see through others eyes about things but when it comes to how I may be viewed I'm blind.

Do you care one way or the other? (Why or why not?)

I care too much. I really wish I didn't. I have gotten better about letting it go as I've have gotten older, but I still try to change it (if possible) when people don't like me. It makes me very uncomfortable to be disliked.

Are their perceptions of you usually accurate?

I really doubt it but maybe.

4w3 sx/so
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It was always extremely important to me what other people thought of me. When someone misjudged me, it just devastated me, and I would expend large amounts of energy trying to correct their opinion... not a great way to live.
    Been there.

Try doing that as the lone female in a garage full of men from a totally different background from mine. I was told that when I first arrived on the scene, I scared them. I found that laughably absurd. Once they got used to me, they liked me a lot, but it was a hard road at first.

When I found out that I had a "reputation" from a school I went to years after the fact, I laughed in shock and hilarity with my friends until we almost fell down. Apparently, I was a bad bad godless biker-punk chick who ran wild with felons and partied down in parking lots til the break of dawn. I laughed until tears came out of my eyes. Granted, my best girlfriends were hell on wheels and I dressed in black jackboots and wore a Harley shirt, but c'mon. If they'd just been friendly instead of being self-absorbed elitist lemmings, they would have known better.

Heck, at least it mostly kept the dregs off me - that school was punishing and nasty.

No, their perceptions weren't usually as accurate as I had hoped. On occasion, studying their reasons, I did get a better idea of how I can come off to people who are not similar to me, and that helped me understand their reactions better and head off bad ones. But in general I only found some people who could understand me easily.

Ironically that initial insecurity I think is why I try so hard to communicate myself to people. So it led to some skilled behavior that nowadays I can use to my advantage, but still, it was being driven by insecurities.
    People will think what they want about you. That's the sad truth.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P