User Tag List

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Default 'Typing' famous people

Thereís been argument here & there throughout different threads about whether or not itís worthwhile to Ďtypeí famous people.

Admittedly- the likelihood of being able to correctly type any famous person based exclusively on media weíve seen, speeches theyíve given, lyrics/music/text theyíve written, etc- isnít great. Itís difficult enough to accurately type someone we personally know. A lot of people even have trouble figuring out which type they are themselves. Nobody falls perfectly into any given type; by which I mean nobody has every single characteristic of a given type and only characteristics indicative of that type. ĎTypingí a person is never an infallible endeavor. Thatís especially true about typing people we donít even personally know.

That being said: isnít the purpose of participating in this forum mainly to exchange discussion centered on a better understanding of the different MBTI types and functions (as well as other such personality type systems)? ĎTypingí famous people seems (to me) to be an effective way of improving oneís familiarity with these concepts. Iím just curious about the reason some people seem so heatedly opposed. Is it just personally annoying or is there some kind of injury in this activity that Iím not seeing?

This started here, but I didnít want to further derail the thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    ^ Well there's no point to all this 'typing' if it's wrong. It's a double-edged sword. It may help you type people but at the same time it may cause the opposite affect and teach you to mistype people. Many people on these forums are not exactly 'fully knowledgeable' when it comes to typing people and as long as their half-assed knowledge is going around it can confuse a lot of people. I too may also get a bit uptight when I see others 'typing'.
    So- youíre not annoyed that philosophers are being typed so much as youíre annoyed because you strongly disagree with the types that were posted?

I understand your point about how erroneous information can just be confusing- but then this is an open forum and thereís bound to be a lot of misinformation lying about. People post their suppositions hoping for feedback/discussion. Thatís kind of the point, isn't it?
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Seriously. I'm not trying to be antagonistic here. I'm trying to understand how 'typing' people leads to more confusion than other kinds of posts.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

No one knows these people's types. A lot of people can't even type themselves (X, type changes, "what's my type" threads) or the people they know. Typing anyone should be taken with a grain of salt. And I feel the same way about professionals doing it as I do about amateurs.

To me, it's just abstraction sport.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

I don't even know what it means to know a person's real type. If I call someone an ESTJ, I'm just putting a label on them based on what I consider an ESTJ. I can't know a person's real type in any sense more fundamental than that. So why would I have a problem categorizing people I barely know? I may not have much to go on, but what I do have will generally fit into some category. If I learn something new, I might change my mind, of course, but that can always happen no matter how much I know.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

Ginkgo

I agree. Usually people try to 'type' others by characterizing their behavior.

However, because the MBTI is infamous for not being able to predict behavior, doesn't this create a paradox?

All behavior is extremely contextual.

Edit:

Iím just curious about the reason some people seem so heatedly opposed.
    Isn't it obvious that people just like to use De Facto segregation? It gives them comfort knowing how to stereotype someone. For some, it gives them insight on how they should remain true to themselves. Why do people join political parties? Social movements? Religions? Etc. Etc. The same answer repeats itself.

I'm not saying this behavior is ethical. As far as I'm concerned, it's almost useless, but I'm just trying to give some comforting knowledge.

Hm, the motives of the OP and the motives of 'typers' are very similar, it would seem.

I think typing famous people is interesting because you can learn more about the system through that. It just becomes annoying when people dogmatically stick to a type that they have decided upon. We'd get a lot more out of it if we agreed that nobody can know for sure, there is no real need to know for sure so lets use somebody as an example and explore the system.

Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahNounBlah View Post
    To me itís just an abstraction sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I think typing famous people is interesting because you can learn more about the system through that. It just becomes annoying when people dogmatically stick to a type that they have decided upon. We'd get a lot more out of it if we agreed that nobody can know for sure, there is no real need to know for sure so lets use somebody as an example and explore the system.
    This is pretty much the point I was trying to get at. I was wondering if anyone could provide a clear reason why doing it as an Ďabstraction sportí is a bad idea.

At first it *seemed* to me that anyone who was annoyed was taking their MBTI kung-fu a little too seriously (it sounded kinda like this to me: YOU MUST NEVER MISUSE THE AWESOME POWER OF THE MBT INVENTORY!).

But really Iím just a newbie to this forum. Even though Iíve been an MBT enthusiast for years, the experience of being able to talk Ďtypeí with other people is still novel to me. Pet peeves havenít really had a chance to congeal. Iím sure itís just a matter of time before I understand exactly whatís so grating about it.