User Tag List

View Poll Results: What option best describes your initial recognition of your T/F preference?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • I identify as an ITP and I was pretty sure of my T preference from the beginning

10 22.22%
  • I identify as an ITP but I was unsure of my T preference at first

3 6.67%
  • I identify as an ETP and I was pretty sure of my T preference from the beginning

2 4.44%
  • I identify as an ETP but I was unsure of my T preference at first

2 4.44%
  • I identify as an ITJ and I was pretty sure of my T preference from the beginning

4 8.89%
  • I identify as an ITJ but I was unsure of my T preference at first

2 4.44%
  • I identify as an ETJ and I was pretty sure of my T preference from the beginning

0 0%
  • I identify as an ETJ but I was unsure of my T preference at first

0 0%
  • I identify as an IFP and I was pretty sure of my F preference from the beginning

2 4.44%
  • I identify as an IFP but I was unsure of my F preference at first

3 6.67%
  • I identify as an EFP and I was pretty sure of my F preference from the beginning

3 6.67%
  • I identify as an EFP but I was unsure of my F preference at first

3 6.67%
  • I identify as an IFJ and I was pretty sure of my F preference from the beginning

1 2.22%
  • I identify as an IFJ but I was unsure of my F preference at first

6 13.33%
  • I identify as an EFJ and I was pretty sure of my F preference from the beginning

3 6.67%
  • I identify as an EFJ but I was unsure of my F preference at first

0 0%
  • I identify as an IP but I am as yet unsure of my T/F preference

1 2.22%
  • I identify as an IJ but I am as yet unsure of my T/F preference

0 0%
  • I identify as an EP but I am as yet unsure of my T/F preference

0 0%
  • I identify as an EJ but I am as yet unsure of my T/F preference

0 0%
First 123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    ...I wonder if that's because both groups theoretically have T/F as their dominant, making it easier to recognize? I know I had a lot of trouble figuring out S/N but T/F was pretty obvious. Could have to do with strength of preference as well though.
    What I found is that I could confuse myself by thinking too hard about it. Perhaps if you have an extreme T/F, it is easy.

I know for an ISTP, the T probably seems very obvious (because the ISFP has a much different style and approach externally). So the actual "type" itself seemingly sometimes can impact how easy or hard it is to figure out T/F.

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Does anyone have any doubts over my T preference? Sadly, it's one of my weaker functions... both in MBTI and out. I'm really a people person at heart.
    Jah, he's just a big carebear!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

There is no doubt in my mind- nor has there ever been that I am one who makes decisions based on feelings,lol.

I knew that even before I ever heard of myers briggs,lol.

I'M ALL FEELING! Seriously- my Ti and Te scores are really REALLY LOW! Fe and Fi are high with Fe being higher then Fi but I have good high levels in both,lol.
    Being around my hubby helps me develop the T more but still- it is slow and steady,lol.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

See, and I think I'm at the opposite extreme of ladypinkerton. If I think too much about the T/F and which my preference is, I get quite confused. Also, with the mbti online tests where it's easy to know what the question is getting at, I tend to overanalyze, and I think it's my overanalyzing that makes me test out as INTJ relatively consistently.

I just have the ability to become very INTJ in order to 'cope' with things, sometimes. Also, when it comes to school and testing. I think my natural *ability* at your more intellectual pursuits - mathematics, science, logic, etc (I was 95th percentile in Analytical portion of GRE, just to give an example of probably why I often test as INTJ) - has been a source of confusion for me, and can make it hard for me to type myself accurately.

But when I take a step back, and actually look at my life, and how I interact with people, my actions/behavior/motivations/social style is MUCH more F than T. Also, my childhood frame of mind was much more F. When I read descriptions of NT children...that was not me!! I don't think I ever had a pressing need to know 'why' when it came to THINGS; I DID however have many 'why's' for why people acted the way they did, or why they treated me or others one way or another...etc. My 'why' questions almost always involved people/morality/philosophical stuff. I also *always* had an intense desire to be liked, and accepted, by people. And that continues to this day. Would be easier though if it wasn't that way!! ;-)

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Jah, he's just a big carebear!
    You know what's sad? A friend took the NEO on my behalf and gave me... 0% agreeable.

You know what I said? Bastard, I am too agreeable. I'm coming over there and kicking the crap out of you.

Unfortunately, it was anonymous... so I had to beat a lot of friends before getting the right one.

It's painful being sensitive, you know...

--

Overthinking the T/F thing is pretty easy to do because all of us clam up under stress, so T or Fs will end up having some T traits at times. However, as the above example (in good humor, really...) says, most of the time it's pretty clear where you stand. Measure more empathy and sympathy... rocking the boat... how competitive you are... those are traits that are very hard to hide. Ts really can't emulate them for any length of time and Fs can't repress them for very long.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    You know what I said? Bastard, I am too agreeable. I'm coming over there and kicking the crap out of you. Unfortunately, it was anonymous... so I had to beat a lot of friends before getting the right one. It's painful being sensitive, you know...
    And I think it was very sweet and compassionate for you to want to share your innermost feelings with the people who matter to you in the world -- not just share, but evoke in them.

(So what if teddy has sharp teeth? You always gnaw the ones you love.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Socionics
    SLI

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    The point isn't so much what made you unsure but whether you were unsure of your preference at first. I originally tested as an ENTJ, but I immediately recognized that I was in fact an introvert upon exploring the dimensions. Did you have a similar experience or did your test result cause you to seriously doubt your preference?
    Yes, like you. At first I though I was a T, because of the test results, but after looking at the theory concluded I am an F. But I still test as a T so I cannot officially claim to be certain of being F, despite how I may feel. So I'm not really uncertain nor certain. (I guess I'm uncertain about being certain )

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

On the very first MBTI test I ever took, I tested INTJ. Of course, I was kind of stressed out when I took it. But even then, it didn't quite seem to fit. I just didn't like the sound of being a "T." It seemed too cold, and I don't feel that I'm that driven or interested in pure efficiency/functionality. Plus, I didn't seem to have the same "vibe" as other INTJ's... they seemed "harder" than me in a lot of ways. Even more telling, I often choose to do some things whether they're logical or not, with very little sense of conflict.

For a long time, I would test as INFJ half the time and INTJ the other half. I've tested as INFJ for the last year or so, but my F preference is around 60/40.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

It took me a while to figure it out, but I'd have to label myself a T.

Also I'd like to add that I believe there are too many options on this poll in order to get a statistically relevant sample.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENTP

I figured I was a T, but test results consistently say I'm barely T. The cognitive functions helped clarify it a bit, saying that my Fi was not pitifully low like my Fe, Se, and Si, but not as high as my Ti. I'm more confused about E/I. I'm definitely an introvert, but I usually test as Ne being my primary function.
    "'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    See, and I think I'm at the opposite extreme of ladypinkerton. If I think too much about the T/F and which my preference is, I get quite confused. Also, with the mbti online tests where it's easy to know what the question is getting at, I tend to overanalyze, and I think it's my overanalyzing that makes me test out as INTJ relatively consistently.

I just have the ability to become very INTJ in order to 'cope' with things, sometimes. Also, when it comes to school and testing. I think my natural *ability* at your more intellectual pursuits - mathematics, science, logic, etc (I was 95th percentile in Analytical portion of GRE, just to give an example of probably why I often test as INTJ) - has been a source of confusion for me, and can make it hard for me to type myself accurately.
    I had this plan to describe why I basically consider myself a bit "F of center", even though I pretty consistently test out as a T. But Cascademn pretty much summed my experience up exactly, almost eerily so , except that I'm definitely a P, and not a J.

I think I have more trouble identifying T vs. F not only because it's the only MBTI factor where I'm anywhere near the middle of the range, but because it's the one that's impacted the most by circumstance. Having dinner with friends? More F. At work working on a database application? Almost all T. When doing any sort of test, I tend to look back on what I may or may not do in the circumstance posed by each question, and if that situation's more likely to come up at work, I'll almost always answer T - even though it's not what I'd do outside of work. My internal motivations and concerns lie more along F lines, so that's probably more accurate.