User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Default Fears that are probably really weird.

I have no idea how to title this. But anyway.
    What I mean is the type of things that will get you this look if someone doesn't exactly understand your abnormally high fears of things.

For me, it's:
    - having any part of my flesh touch any part of my dorm's bathroom I share with 3 other girls, besides inevitable things like flushing the toilet and turning on the shower
    - hair on bathroom floors and in my food--makes me feel like gagging every time I think about it, like now
    - a large slab of concrete landing on my head when I walk near construction sites (I mean, I literally think about that whenever I walk by a construction site)
    - any bug flying within any close vicinity of me
    - constantly wondering if I'm just a walking piece of organic material that will become fertilizer when I die
    - being shocked by lightning--I'll avoid touching doorknobs and water and take other extreme precautions (and I live in Florida, fun)
    - being electrocuted by regular household appliances
    - the teapot blowing up in my face when it starts whistling

Maybe I need some more therapy, lmao.
    "So I say, live and let live. Thatís my motto. Live and let live.
    Anyone who canít go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker."
    - George Carlin

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't think those are weird.
    - having any part of my flesh touch any part of my dorm's bathroom I share with 3 other girls, besides inevitable things like flushing the toilet and turning on the shower
    - hair on bathroom floors and in my food--makes me feel like gagging every time I think about it, like now
    Both easily explained by a natural human tendency to be disgusted by discarded organic material, which can cause disease.

- a large slab of concrete landing on my head when I walk near construction sites (I mean, I literally think about that whenever I walk by a construction site)
    This is a valid fear. Why do you think they wear hard hats? It makes that if they're lifting slabs of concrete or grinding them up, there's a potential for it to go in the wrong place. Construction sites are pretty dangerous, and there's all kinds of warning signs outside them for a reason.
    - any bug flying within any close vicinity of me
    Another natural human reaction. Bugs can sting and carry disease (they sit on garbage and feces), thus there's a natural aversion to them. They're somewhat disgusting, unpredictable, even if they're not harmful (which they can be).
    - constantly wondering if I'm just a walking piece of organic material that will become fertilizer when I die
    Just another variation on the natural aversion to death and decay, amplified by the thought of yourself being in that state.
    - being shocked by lightning--I'll avoid touching doorknobs and water and take other extreme precautions (and I live in Florida, fun)
    - being electrocuted by regular household appliances
    This one makes sense if you've been shocked before. Shock can negatively affect the nervous system, and having been exposed to it, you may have developed a fear that another such incident could arise.
    - the teapot blowing up in my face when it starts whistling
    I can't explain this one, it doesn't make emotional or instinctive sense. But it does make some logical sense, as if there were no openings on the teapot (or the opening was blocked), it could potentially blow up in that state. It might also blow up if it were cracked sufficiently.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Obsessive compulsive disorder- but if it doesn't really cause you intense discomfort and disruption into your life, I wouldn't be worried about it. Knowing it is illogical, it means you are still sane! But if it doesn't hurt you, it doesn't hamper you, you needn't be hampered.

I used to spend hours thinking of my own pretty illogical obsessions. Being framed for murder (and the accompanying compulsions to combat this. fingerprints), evil numbers (and rituals with the good numbers to erase evil numbers), contamination (hands and feet and germs), what universe would spin out from me saying so-and-so now and how the people around might respond, unbalancing the universe (even numbers, fours, circles!, not stepping on cracks, counting).

MBTI
    ENFP

Sounds like you just need to relax and try to see life on a more positive note and start trying to stop caring so much. What do you think is the root to your OCD? I'm sure you've speculated the cause of it quite a bit before.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.derekrhode.com/MiscHosting/Pics/151645.png[/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    I

Sounds like OCD. The advice I would have is just face your fears. Go near the things that make you afraid, and experience what actually happens - this works for me reasonably well.

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    I used to spend hours thinking of my own pretty illogical obsessions. Being framed for murder (and the accompanying compulsions to combat this. fingerprints), evil numbers (and rituals with the good numbers to erase evil numbers), contamination (hands and feet and germs), what universe would spin out from me saying so-and-so now and how the people around might respond, unbalancing the universe (even numbers, fours, circles!, not stepping on cracks, counting).
    Yeah, the obsessions I had were just getting in the way of daily life, making it hell. I would be somewhat like Homer in my avatar.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

I meant to say that it's not that weird, so you don't have to feel alone even if some people don't understand. Personally, these sorts of weird fears don't bother me unless I'm under some sort of outside stress. I just have to try and take time to re-evaluate and excise the stress from my life, yeah? And you know, I talk to my friends.

Everyone's plenty weird on the inside. Some people try to deny it, but it's there... waiting to strike out all ninja-style.

MBTI
    I

The obsessions were more disturbing than weird for me.

MBTI
    INTP

I have a fear of idiots. If some people wished to intimidate me they should have me believe they are dangerously irrational idiots.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    I have a fear of idiots. If some people wished to intimidate me they should have me believe they are dangerously irrational idiots.
    Me too, except about 70% of people I come in contact with ARE dangerously irrational idiots, many of whom believe that sharks are mammals, dolphins are fish, and have no idea what a narwhal is. So, around others, I always feel this way, so often that it seems perfectly natural.
    I 96% N 93% T 75% P 63% 5w4 sp/sx/so ILI
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Si>Fi>Se>Fe
    I'm interested in what you percieve me to be. Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    TOTO

I don't have any current fears, but when I was a child I remember one that was really prominent:

I wasn't afraid of the dark, but when I went to visit my grandmother's house, I was afraid of being the last one awake. I don't know exactly what would happen if I was the last one awake but it terrified me so much that I would wake my sister and cousin up who'd be sleeping in the bed next to me, and watch 1-3 movies, all the while checking them to make sure they were still awake. Eventually I would get so tired that I would just fall asleep in the middle of the 3rd of 4th movie, but sometimes that wouldn't happen and I remember waking up my grandparents because I was so afriad. I've never heard of anyone else having that fear. And it was only at my grandparents' house too.