User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

i was at school. it was my freshman year of high school, and we were sent to the gymnasiums to watch CNN on the big TVs. we saw the planes hit the towers. one girl started to cry, saying her aunt worked at the world trade center.

i came home early (they shortened the school day) and asked my father if we were going to start a war now. he said he didn't think we were "that stupid".

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I was on the downtown 'N' train, going to get off at the Courtland St station at 5(?) WTC, on my way to work. I always got off at that spot on Tuesday, because they used to have a farmers' market there where I would buy a little bag of chocolate rugula to take to work and share with my coworkers (I worked a few blocks south on Greenwich St).
    Well, I didn't get there. We got stuck in the tunnel for 3 hours, finally got out at City Hall, and started walking home (9 miles) to Astoria,Queens.
    There was NO traffic in Mahattan (spooky) except for fire/ambulance/police.

It was a very strange experience to walk home over the 59th St bridge with about 4,000 others.
    I worked in the area for another 6 months. The smell for the first 6 weeks was incredible. I found out later what it was: burning iron. It is not pleasant. Neither were the trucks coming down Greenwich, carrying iron girders and other debris. They sprayed the trucks on the block north of us for asbestos.
    Many building in the neighborhood were evacuated because of asbestos. I think most of these abatements were pure bullshit and marketeering. there was a lot of that going on downtown at that time.
    I'll never forget that time.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Grade 10 English class early in the morning, informed by the principal over the PA system. A TV was set up in the cafeteria after that.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I was all by myself, alone in my old apartment in Vegas, and saw it on television. I think it made it scarier to me that I was alone. I started calling people.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I was in my office for just a minute before going to teach a class, and I read a little news blurb about a plane crashing into the WTC. I went and taught class, and when I got back to my office I read about the second plane. I kept checking my work email for the next couple of hours until I read the eventual announcement that classes were canceled for the rest of the day.

Then I called my pastor and asked if we were having a prayer service that night. He said, "I hadn't thought about it, but that is a good idea." The rest of the afternoon I spent at my church greeting and talking to people as they showed up until the prayer service eventually began.

Aside: Also I remember being fairly calm during the whole thing. There is a part of me that never feels totally at peace unless I am in some sort of crisis.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I was sleeping. My brother came into the room, turned the fan off, turned the TV on, and kept squawking about something like it was really important. It was earlier than I was getting up at the time, so I was incoherrent, tried to grasp what he said, and then fell asleep for about three hours after he left.

When I got up, I went downstairs for my usual routine of tea making and such (I was 12, but that was already my routine), and as I was trying to figure out what was on TV, my family and one of my friends at the time explained what was going on.

The truth is, we were all very laid back about it. I felt only slight unease, but the day was pretty normal. I was more intrigued by the event than emotionally disturbed. I was thinking of who might have done it, and more importantly, what was going to happen from then on. I had (correctly!) guesed that it was going to result in a bunch of regretable political bullshit.

I most worried (only a litte) after news about the pentagon and the one that got rerouted in Pennsylvania. I was starting to wonder exactly how many planes were hijacked, and I was noticing the increasing closeness of the planes.
    Last edited by Magic Poriferan; 09-11-2009 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Actually, I was twelve then. Doesn't make much of a difference, though.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

I was in 5th grade during class, and all of a sudden our teacher turns the television on and we watch with dawning horror.
    "So I say, live and let live. Thatís my motto. Live and let live.
    Anyone who canít go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker."
    - George Carlin

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Sophomore in college; slept in until about 9:30a Central time, then switched on the TV.

Didn't know what to do really. Had to do something, so I called as many people as I could. Sharing tragedy can sometimes alleviate the burden, as I realized that day.

Still remember the nausea. Terrible, terrible nausea.

MBTI
    ENTP

Sleeping. I woke up just after the first plane hit.
    When I turned the news on I thought I was watching something from along time ago that I had never heard of.
    Even after I found out it was live my reaction was "Damn, well that sucks."

Then the world freaked out, and I was confused.

My junior year of high school. First class of the day.