User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Default Recommendations for Study in Spain?

Hey folks, random but serious question - any advice or experience studying Spanish in Spain?

Right now I'm doing online searching and the schools seem to be concentrated in the following cities:

Madrid
    Barcelona
    Malaga
    Salamanca
    Seville
    Granada
    Valencia

I'm looking to go for either 4 weeks this winter or else an extended program of 12-24 weeks next year.

I am total newb. I have Rosetta Stone and so far have learned how to say, "Un nino y una nina encima la pelota" Seriously. And "Es mentira". And "Donde estamos?"

So I will be taking a total beginner track.

If anyone has recommendations or experience studying in Spain, would love to hear your thoughts. Especially in terms of cost effective-ness and the pros/cons of different cities and how to find a good school.

At first I was looking to study in Barcelona (whoo! big city! culture! arts!) But right now, I'm looking more at the southern coastal cities as the programs there are noticeably cheaper.

Thanks in advance!
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Barcelona is an ugly-ass city, but lots of people go there to learn spanish.
    I'd personally recommend Mlaga if you care for atmosphere.
    I hate cities that aren't close to the sea, though...
    And that kind of disqualifies most of the rest.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I personally think Barcelona is beautiful, for my standards at least. I am an economics student so I've most heard about Pompeu Fabra university, which is one of the best in Europe.
    If you want a cheaper program, the only university I know personally is Valencia's, although the people that have been there, when recounting the experience, seem to focus more on the nightlife aspect rather than the educational. The city is beautiful anyway.
    Pay attention about less international cities: english might not be as widely spoken as in Madrid or Bara.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Are you in college Cze? If you are, I was looking into IIE | Home This program here myself for a while.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    GONE

Hey thanks guys! I was also looking closely at Malaga because it's the southern most city (I also grew up near a coastline MyLocal, so I get what you're saying) and I wanted nice weather. But talkin' about Valencia's nightlife made me take a second look...

I agree FDG that a smaller city would probably force me to use and learn Spanish more.

And no Kyueii I'm not in college (anymore) but thanks for the scholarship info! I wish I had taken more advantage of these things when I was in undergrad - it is so much easier to incorporate international travel and language acquisition into your life when you are still in school.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Btw the weather is nice all over Mediterranean Spain, even in winter (the only places where it can get cold-ish is Madrid and central-inland areas). I think Barcelona has around min5/max 15 in January, something like that. If you go to Malaga in February it will probably look like NYC in early May.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Sniffles

Try Pimsleur Spanish for learning basic and useful phrases. Rosetta Stone I find is better for informally learning grammar than actual useful phrases.

MBTI
    GONE

Thanks youse guys. Yeah, I need a phrase book not grammar right now. I'll learn grammar in Spain - and I'm going to Malaga! If anyone has anyone advice for Malaga or whatnot please share!

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Thanks youse guys. Yeah, I need a phrase book not grammar right now. I'll learn grammar in Spain - and I'm going to Malaga! If anyone has anyone advice for Malaga or whatnot please share!
    Fun! Malaga itself is ok.. but some of the local area - particularly if you get away from the brit-infested (sorry!) built up areas is good. Make sure you take a trip to the Alhambra palace (should be a day out).

Some of the inland towns are really pretty, and there are a "few" coastal ones that aren't over developed. I'd recommend Lonely Planet Spain for some advice. Should be readily available given large resident Brit population.

Make sure you try lots of paella and fresh seafood

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    EIE

Malaga! Woo Hoo!

From what I've heard it's a great city and one of the hottest places in Spain (being down south, you know ). I had a short 'flick' with a Spanish girl from Malaga, who studies piano at Academy of Music there. She absolutely loved the city - food's great and so is the music scene. I think you have an amazing time ahead of you.

PS I can contact her, if you want some tips/recommendations.
    "Act as though it was impossible to fail."
    Dorothea Brande

I started a real blog!