User Tag List

12 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default Need photo advice

I look good (not tremendously good, but I do look good), but I'm extremely bad in maintaining a posture, or some expression on my face.

I need a lot of good pics of myself for a variety of purposes. How to set it up?

Remember, I'm more flawed in this way than 95% of the people.

When I *DO* look good?

Looking myself in the bathroom mirror.

If there were a camera in the place of the mirror I'm looking at, the pictures would be great. In that setting, I'd look cool, masculine, free, handsome. I think that's the best image I could get for some pictures of myself.

So. I look good. Pics of me don't look good. I have close to zero ability to pose for the camera. Sometimes I do OK for some imaginary things. Like I'm pretending to pose for a commercial, and it looks fun and OK. It's just not the kind of thing I want to do.

I'm an advanced amateur photographer. People compliment on my ability to photograph them on a consistent basis. I think there's just some skill lacking in me to look just as good in photographs as they do. I'd like to learn.

A hint: smiling is a hard thing for me, I seem really fun when smile comes genuinely, but I can't fake it - I'm too damned real.

Ok. It's really really hard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

When I *DO* look good?

Looking myself in the bathroom mirror.

If there were a camera in the place of the mirror I'm looking at, the pictures would be great.

So. I look good. Pics of me don't look good. I have close to zero ability to pose for the camera. Sometimes I do OK for some imaginary things. Like I'm pretending to pose for a commercial, and it looks fun and OK. It's just not the kind of thing I want to do.
    YES. YES, I totally get what you're coming from. If someone would gladly explain this concept, both Santtu and I would be quite happy. I expect good results.
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

you have to forget the camera is there...as a photographer you know that's when YOU get the good shots...you talk to them...make them laugh...and they look great...if there's no connection...and they feel awkward or intimidated and trying to fake smile for 20-30 min...the pictures look dreadful...doesn't matter who you are or how good you look in the mirror...real expressions will always photograph better...so...forget about the camera...are you taking them yourself?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Or maybe you just aren't photogenic. I know I'm not.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

I'm pretty good at taking flattering pictures of myself, but I can cheat in ways that as a man you may not be comfortable with...for instance, powder foundation will keep you from washing out. If you have a camera with a timer, the best thing you can do is set it up somewhere and just go at it for a while, snapping pics until you get something you like.

Also different light sources can help. Yellow interior lighting generally looks terrible if it's not supplemented by a good flash, natural light is great but not always dependable/predicatable, blue light from your computer can actually be pretty flattering if all you need is a close up of your face. Obviously these aren't exactly "pro" tips (as I am not a professional or even particularly good at photography), but sometimes you have to get creative to capture the look you want, especially when you're trying to find something that suits a self portrait.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I think I'd have best time looking at a mirror with a camera lens in the spot I'm looking at. It is like I were looking at another oerson, but I'd be seeing how good I look.

And yes, I may look very good, but just not in most of the pictures. I've got very bad skill in this.

I feel 97% of pictures do a disservice on me. A friend of mine, ESTP, 90% of his pictures serve him well. I'm just opposite. But, I may look good. Without photoshop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP

Here in lies the secret.

MBTI
    ENTP

Learn your angles... tipping your head a little or not trying to hard ought to do it...

Get someone else to take them

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Itekki mielummin oon kameran takana ku sen edess. Jotenki en vaan osaa olla kunnolla kameran edess ja sit tulee oltua turhan jykkn ja se nkyy kuvasta. Sano kuvaajalle et pit peili kameran yll ja poseeraa sille . Ehk toiset on vaa luotu kameran eteen ja toiset taakse

Is it allowed to speak other than english on these forums btw?
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    I'm an advanced amateur photographer. People compliment on my ability to photograph them on a consistent basis. I think there's just some skill lacking in me to look just as good in photographs as they do. I'd like to learn.
    I'll tell you what you are missing that they have - a good photographer. You are taking the pics of them that they admire. Many people can't set up picture of people to save their lives. People set up a picture and get everyone in the frame and they are done. So that's what they are doing with you. People miss the part about making sure that once everyone is in the frame that they are also looking good. You probably do that instinctively.

For yourself: Start by taking pictures *in front of a mirror* I still like to pose many of my self portrait pictures in front of a mirror. And when I mean in front of a mirror I mean you have your camera by the mirror, not that you take a picture of you in a mirror. Even if you aren't the one eventually taking the pics at least this gives you a starting point on how to get a good "look" going.

Smiles: You need to make yourself laugh for the picture to get a "real" smile. Too few people know how to do this. People really can't "hold" a smile for very long unless you are laughing or genuinely happy.

Are you going to be able to take these "variety of pictures" yourself or is someone else going to be taking them?

AHAHA picturefacts.com is awesome.