User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need photo advice

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    I look good (not tremendously good, but I do look good), but I'm extremely bad in maintaining a posture, or some expression on my face.

I need a lot of good pics of myself for a variety of purposes. How to set it up?

Remember, I'm more flawed in this way than 95% of the people.

When I *DO* look good?

Looking myself in the bathroom mirror.

If there were a camera in the place of the mirror I'm looking at, the pictures would be great. In that setting, I'd look cool, masculine, free, handsome. I think that's the best image I could get for some pictures of myself.

So. I look good. Pics of me don't look good. I have close to zero ability to pose for the camera. Sometimes I do OK for some imaginary things. Like I'm pretending to pose for a commercial, and it looks fun and OK. It's just not the kind of thing I want to do.

I'm an advanced amateur photographer. People compliment on my ability to photograph them on a consistent basis. I think there's just some skill lacking in me to look just as good in photographs as they do. I'd like to learn.

A hint: smiling is a hard thing for me, I seem really fun when smile comes genuinely, but I can't fake it - I'm too damned real.

Ok. It's really really hard.
    About faking a smile, just take billions and billions of pictures of yourself, and with every single one of them try to put your facial muscles in a different way, and think of different happy thoughts. If you find a combination of the right thought and facial expression you might end up with something resembling a smile. It will not be much, but at least it's better then looking like you're on prozac.

if you look good, like myself, you will learn to use a digital video recorder(camcorder, for short). If you set up the camcorder and record yourself for a few hours doing something you enjoy, eventually you'll capture an image that will entice or devour or some other such thing. I hope this makes sense, I'm on vacation.

I could have written that OP.

I'm a relatively ok-looking bloke (even though I do say so myself) but it rarely, if ever, translates to pictures. Most of the time, I end up looking either stoned or like a deer caught in the headlights.

Waiting to hear what other tips the photogenic folk have to share... oh yes, we have seen that Picture Time thread... spill, share your secrets, people...

half mystic, half skeksis Array jenocyde's Avatar

Is your face really angular? If a celebrity were to play you in a film, who would it be?

As you know, most technique is in the light source... not so much the color temperature, but the positioning. Also, what sorts of lenses are you using for your self portraits?