User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Personal space

your resident asshole

Default Personal space

How much do you need? Do you think it's related to type?

I need a lot of it. Often when people are talking to me, they feel as if they need to be right in front of my face. I also have an issue with direct eye contact. Some people feel the need to be staring intently at me all the time while they're right in front of my face. I need my space people. Back up please. :/

I'm guessing it's an introvert/extravert thing.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Very little. People have commented that I "should need more", I suppose I have an high tolerance for low personal space.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INxJ

I think it's weird when people aren't looking me in the eyes when I talk. Like they're weak or submissive. Does that really have anything to do with personal space though? I prefer that people don't actually reach out and touch me or have their face close enough to kiss unless I'm friends with them.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Hmm. Not an introvert/extrovert thing. I have an extremely extroverted friend who has quite a large personal space.
    It's more of a feeler/thinker thing. Feelers like to close in on people when they speak to them as well as touch them. Thinkers usually don't like that.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Personally, I don't need a lot of alone time to be able to function normally. Dunno exactly what you mean by personal space, I mean. I hate when random people touch me, for no apparent reason. That's why I hate crowded places. I don't even like when most people I know touch me for no apparent reason. I do however, tend touch other people when I'm talking to them. I think I do it to get their full attention. But yeah, if you're referring to physical personal space, I like to keep a distance to whomever I'm talking to, I don't wanna smell your breath. Unless it's a very intimate conversation or with my SO, then it's fine.

When it comes to alone time, I don't need to be by myself a lot in order to function properly. I've always tested a moderate - high E, so that could be type related. People interaction does not drain me and I get energized talking and interacting with most people. I generally prefer to be around people all the time, however, I do need quiet-time. I like to be around people, makes me feel good, but I don't like to talk or be talked to all the time.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Salt n' pepper View Post
    I hate when random people touch me, for no apparent reason. That's why I hate crowded places. I don't even like when most people I know touch me for no apparent reason. I do however, tend touch other people when I'm talking to them. I think I do it to get their full attention.
    I'm the same way. There's a few people that can hug me or cuddle me or whatever, everyone else needs to be like 3 feet away, although I do sometimes touch people on the shoulder when I'm talking to them.

I do require a lot of alone time though, and any areas that I've claimed as my "personal space" (my room, my chair, my part of the counter, lol) have the same rules as my physical presence does. Rooting through my things is punishable by being told to leave.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    any areas that I've claimed as my "personal space" (my room, my chair, my part of the counter, lol) have the same rules as my physical presence does. Rooting through my things is punishable by being told to leave.
    Oh yeah. When I want to be alone, you need to not exist.

MBTI
    I

Haha, I need a lot of personal space, I get annoyed when people infringe upon my personal space. I think it might be an introverted/extroverted thing, I'm moderately to highly introverted.

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    I think it's weird when people aren't looking me in the eyes when I talk. Like they're weak or submissive. Does that really have anything to do with personal space though?
    No it doesn't have to do with personal space,
    but I look into people's eyes with a lot of intensity.
    Those who can't look me in the eye, I don't trust their sorry asses.

As far as space, when I am researching, no one dare enter my room or disturb me.
    I growl.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I have a personal space need. I will look people in the eyes and speak just fine at a comfortable distance for me but I will automatically take a defensive stance if someone continues to invade it. Then I will physically move them.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.