User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Personal space

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I like to stand at least a couple of feet away from someone; people have a tendency to want to touch me... I've mainly had problems with friends grabbing me in places, eh eh. So nowadays if a friend is standing too close to me, I typically kick them in the shins or whatever. And yes, I've had random people who walk up to me and grab a handful (usually girls, so weird?). Or I am standing in line somewhere and a man ~accidentally grabs the back area. People can be such perverts nowadays.

My karate moves are justified.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    ENTP

I've found it really depends on the person.

Some people feel too close being across the room. Others can be within a couple of feet.
    It really just depends on the "vibe" they give out.

I ussually only look at a persons eyes when I'm reading them.

MBTI
    SEXY

There's been a research rapport about this recently.

Click!

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    No it doesn't have to do with personal space,
    but I look into people's eyes with a lot of intensity.
    Those who can't look me in the eye, I don't trust their sorry asses.
    I love ENTJs for that reason Many people seem to have a "no-prolonged eye contact" rule, but I prefer it if I'm having an engaging conversation. It's a pain to remember to look around the room every once in a while in order to not make people feel uncomfortable, when the object of my interest is in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    There's been a research rapport about this recently.

Click!
    Interesting article!
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Physically, not too much. Only I don't like eye contact, especially when first getting to know someone. Some eye contact is okay, but, not too much. I'm not into staring contests.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I can have my personal space around other people.

Ticks some people off sometimes though.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ISTP

I used to be a jerk about it, but now I don't really care anymore. I also used to be introverted, but I'm not anymore.

I imagine there is a direct relationship between the two things, but it doesn't necessarily mean they always have to be correlated perfectly.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

With me I am perfectly fine in general with limited spaces. For example in Tokyo subways with us all stuffed together I was Ok. It is sharing the psyche/physical space mix with humans which make it draining. Pretty tolerant with human touch but if social accepted boundaries are crosses it can be uncomfortable (i.e. another man puts his arm around you and wants to talk with his face just a few inches from your own or worse grabs your butt bleach). In general feel pretty safe in a crowd and comfortable as long as there is no prolonged interaction.
    I understand about preferring to avoid eye contact (feels like an invasion of the psyche or disrespectful) but have purposely changed my habits on that because of the bad connotations in Western Culture.
    The thing I have noticed is most Es like my older sister actually are energized by other people. Myself and many Is on the other hand are energized when they are away from people. I have a great time with people and enjoy parties but it drains my batteries so I may seem more energized then most Es at a party yet I need to get away afterwards. Typing on the computer is not so invasive because often it feels like an inner conversation with myself and that feeds my N.
    Last edited by Vizconde; 09-06-2009 at 10:23 PM. Reason: needed spell check

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I like a lot space in sitting/standing anywhere in public, and I cannot stand for strangers to touch me. My biggest annoyances are when strange men think it's okay to touch my waist (ie. to "move" me aside), people standing really close to you in line (and you move up to increase space, but then they move up also), strangers sitting right next to you when there's another empty seat that's not next to you, and of course, close talkers who breath in your face.

If I am friends with someone, then I don't mind them hugging me or sitting next to me, or even standing closer than I'd like a stranger to.

I also need lots of alone time, and a physical space to call my own & retreat to.

The only time I have trouble with eye contact is when I find someone very physically attractive, and I do avoid it with strangers that I don't want to interact with. Otherwise, I mostly like a lot of eye contact in conversation, as the eyes can express a lot.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Depends on the situation and person/people.

In crowded situations, I'm fine with people being very close to me.

But in most other situations with most people, I prefer to stand about arm's length away from them until something happens that increases the positive association with that person and the distance decreases a little bit. Even then, each person will cause a different reaction in respect to how close I want to get to them on the whole.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost