User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTx

Default Good starter veichle?

Car shopping.

Any car-saavy types have any advice regarding a good first car? I've been pointed numerous times towards the Civic as easy on repairs and gas, but I fear it may be too small for me. I'm 6' 2" and it's pretty cramped. It's also not very good on storage space, and I basically want the thing for running errands and weekend fun, not daily commuting.

A couple others I've heard of are the Yaris (tiny but roomy) and the Ford Ranger (bigger as it's a truck, and fairly reliable).

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Volkswagen Golf

Cheap, reliable, I'm taller than you and started with it had no length problems.

:P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

subaru forester is good solid option (I'm 6'6" and fit well).
    INTP/5w4 sx

MBTI
    ENTP

Depends on your budget and stuff. There are a lot of Darth Vader Helmets (Ka's) in my area (lotta students live round here), which possibly says they're cheap to run and buy.

I've got a Mazda 3 which I find plenty roomy enough for us as a family, though it depends which year's version you get. It's the heir to the 323 they stopped making in 2003 I think, which I had before and was similarly roomy and economical. And ultra, ultra reliable.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTx

Thanks for the tips so far. I'm poking around the classifieds to see what's for sale in the area.

Money isn't really a huge issue, but it's a part-time car at best so I'm not going to go overboard.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    Car shopping.

Any car-saavy types have any advice regarding a good first car? I've been pointed numerous times towards the Civic as easy on repairs and gas, but I fear it may be too small for me. I'm 6' 2" and it's pretty cramped. It's also not very good on storage space, and I basically want the thing for running errands and weekend fun, not daily commuting.

A couple others I've heard of are the Yaris (tiny but roomy) and the Ford Ranger (bigger as it's a truck, and fairly reliable).
    I've heard a lot of stories about Civics and winter highway driving out to the cottage; the consensus from my friends is that it's an awesome vehicle as a young twenty something, but they wouldn't drive it if they were older and had little kids in the car, because nearly all of them have 360ed/720ed them across highway traffic in icy sections (they are all heavily into car knowledge and driving, and from their stories it's not reckless driving but rather small cars without back end weight). They all said they'd pick up a bigger vehicle with more back end weight if they were looking with families, but they also all said they'd buy another civic in the same situation because it's loads of fun!
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

I have a Civic and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm also 6' 0" with a large frame, and I'm comfortable in it. Lots of people love the Ford Focus too, it's a good car.

For a first car I'd stay away from VWs because they're always in the shop, and it's expensive to fix them.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

High-reliability (but possibly pricey):

Toyotas - Corollas, Camrys
    Hondas - Civics, Accords
    Subarus - most any kind

I do NOT recommend pony cars. They've usually been beat to death even if they show no external aging. I have a dead Mustang in my driveway if you need proof.

I hear the Focus and the Prius are good bets too.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Get a Honda or Toyota. Whenever shit stops working (trust me, it will) it will be a lot cheaper in the long run. Probably try getting the older cars since they tend to run a bit bigger. I had a 1991 G20 Infiniti and the parts were like $300. Trust.

Just go with a Civic. They are not small at all. Go to your local dealership and SIT in one. They are amazing.

MBTI
    IsTP

I'd go with toyota. I have a P.O.S. 85 Celica I use for a gas saver, has 187,000 miles on it and still runs like a top (with a small leak )

If you're worried about space, maybe consider the Toyota Avalon?
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...