User Tag List

View Poll Results: Ns Do you remember your dreams?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • xNTP: Generally and well

8 8.16%
  • xNTP: Regularly

10 10.20%
  • xNTP: Rarely

13 13.27%
  • xNFP: Generally and well

8 8.16%
  • xNFP: Regularly

12 12.24%
  • xNFP: Rarely

11 11.22%
  • xNTJ: Generally and well

3 3.06%
  • xNTJ: Regularly

4 4.08%
  • xNTJ: Rarely

7 7.14%
  • xNFJ: Generally and well

10 10.20%
  • xNFJ: Regularly

7 7.14%
  • xNFJ: Rarely

5 5.10%
First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrator View Post
    Remembering your dreams is something you can learn to do just like you learn how to become more aware of them and control them while your sleeping.
    Depends on the person. Some people this can be done easily to, others will never be capable of achieving it with any sort of accuracy at all. Ever.

The problem is that dreams are the mind's way of post-processing data and reinterpreting them into something that makes more sense alot of the time, other times it's just a way for it to relax. Furthermore, they can be used for several other processes, but it all relies on one major thing: how the mind processes data.

Now, 'type' as listed here has some role to play, but whot type someone WANTS to be, and which they ARE, are two different things, and there's also many divergent forms, as well as close calls which could go either way 50/50. As such, though type MAY imply that yeu might be more or less likely to remember dreams, and/or be capable of lucid dreaming, it's not the be-all end-all set in stone determining factor either.

But as the mind's capabilities and methods of processing data vary from person to person, it also means that people will have varying degrees of ease with which they perform these tasks. Some will pick it up naturally, others can train themselves with rigorous discipline, some however... are completely disconnected from the parts of the brain that need to be accessed to cause these things; if someone has brain damage or has certain sections of the brain surgically altered, it can severely change their capability to perform these tasks obviously... some people's brains may equally not be readily capable of transmitting information between particular regions in the same way as required to cause the desired effect (remembering the dreams for one, lucid dreaming for the other).

There are individuals who can read every book on the subject, try every theory, every training exercize, and they will forever be incapable of controlling their dreams in a lucid state, and will STILL forget about them endlessly.

A great example is a tool that was introduced some time ago to help primarily with lucid dreaming; basically it was a blindfold, like the stereotypical ones yeu see on tv, that just covers the eyes for more complete darkness when going to bed. It would check for REM sleep, and when yeu began dreaming, would flash red lights over the eyes and make a small beeping sound. Some people it worked perfectly for, with no issues. Others... it just worked itself into the dream, as an ambulance, a ringing phone, any of a number of things, but it never gave the message it was supposed to, which was to tell people 'yo, yer dreaming'.

Depending on HOW the mind processes data, it just may flat out not work, no matter how we'd like it to. Or it may be really easy. Depends on the individual, and how their mind processes the information it has, as well as several physical factors, especially things like history of stroke and so on.

So no, not 'everyone' can do so. MOST can with effort, SOME can with ease, and there WILL be exceptions who have no chance from the very start.

MBTI
    ENFP

interesting thanks for the insight. I learned how to by just keeping dream journals and reminding myself to wake up in my dreams during the day. It took a lot of practice to start out becoming more aware of my dreams but it got easier the more i tried. Then when i started procrastinating on it my talent started to fade away.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Awe... well hopefully yeu can get it back with a lil more practice ^^

Sadly I can do the 'remember my dreams' thing about 50/50. The lucid dreaming I've never managed to pull off no matter whot I've tried, even on the exceedingly rare situation that I may realize it's a dream, that lasts about 30 seconds and I never do anything with it anyway because I just play along regardless for some reason. Yeu do weird things in dreams... and they don't seem weird >.>

Oh well, I didn't mean to get quite so sharp in tone about it but thanks for not taking it too poorly XD

Just some of us are doomed without, and it's probably a built in thing that some people will never be physically capable of changing without significant advances in brain surgery >.<

The dreams which I can generally recall more easily are ones with recurring scenarios and themes or ones that stick out for some reason or another. With recurring dreams, I'll be able to go into vivid detail, while for others I might only pick up the "feeling" or ambiance. Sometimes, I'll experience something in real life which clicks with one of my dreams, the feeling or a subtle detail, and then I'll be flooded with recollections of those dreams.
    In terms of lucid dreaming, I haven't been very successful. At the most, I did gain control of myself in dreaming one time, but in doing so, it felt as though I was straddling waking up. Everything became blurry/disorienting as though I was drunk. Usually, I only gain awareness that I'm dreaming, but it seems like I can't control anything, let alone change night to day or even search through a drawer.
    I'm still trying to find a mirror to look into.

There's this one dream which stuck out since it was the only one and the aftereffect is pretty strong - in it, I woke up, got ready, went to work, got home from work, slept, only to wake up, and the entire process would repeat itself over, and this continued in a loop for about three times before I actually woke up. When I finally did wake up, I was so mentally drained and exhausted that I could barely get out of bed. It felt so realistic that it seemed as though I actually did went to work for three days before I even had to go to work that morning.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    meh

I wish I could remember them more regularly. My INFJ gf has crazy vivid dreams and recounts them every morning. Makes me jealous.

Although her dreams are about, for example, being a bumblebee and flying around, whereas mine usually involve being in a war, or a plane crash, or some other dark theme. So perhaps it's all for the best.

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp

OMG! Yes! Like, almost every night! And quite vividly.
    -Brio

"I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by phthalocyanine View Post
    i forget most of them. i think i have some kind of repression mechanism or something, because as a child i always had very vivid and numerous dreams. for a while melatonin helped. maybe less stress is really the tonic for this..?

Interesting theory. My experience was the same.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

ENTJ, not all of it but always something. The gist of it all.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

This year, for about a week, every night I'd go to sleep and have a conversation with an IxTP friend of mine. I'd wake up before it ended, and the next night, I went to bed and AGAIN with the conversation. It picked up right where it left off. The first night this happened, it startled me. But then it kept happening. All week. The longest danged conversation ever. He was sitting in the same place and in the same setting. It was as if I'd just stepped out for a moment and came back.

Also, this year I had the first-time experience of being an animal in my dream. I've never been an animal. I was a little red Arabian in a race across open Asian desert at midnight. Very strange, the whole thing, but very linear like a story.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I don't know...I mean, we remember our dreams when we're in that lighter level of sleep, right before we wake up, right?? So for me, the more sleep I get, and the more I then lie around and fall back asleep, the more I dream and recall my dreams, and can do the lucid dream thing. Or, if I'm preoccupied with things in my life, and consequently can't sleep well, then I'll be in a lighter sleep, will wake up a lot, and thus will dream more.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ