MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

BTW here's my laundry routine:

1. Wait
    2. Wait
    3. Wait
    4. Wait some more
    5. When one of us is out of clothing or the pile threatens to fall over and smother me or both, decide to do a load
    6. Pick out the stuff we need to wear right away, and enough other stuff of comparable lightness or darkness to make a load (which is defined as "enough clothing to fill the washer up to the top of the dots without packing down"-- I would have no idea how to fill a front-loader)
    7. On top of clothing, add a capful of detergent, or a scoopful if I've bought hippie stuff off Etsy
    8. Set the washer to warm wash/cold rinse, unless the stuff is really dark in which case cold/cold or it's sheets & towels in which case hot/cold
    9. Twist it around to some setting, I don't really know what they all mean, but I usually wash for 6-8 minutes unless it's really super dirty
    10. Pull out the knob and go do something else
    11. Forget about the laundry until the next day (or the next-next day) when I go to start a load because we have no clean clothing
    12. Wash original load again because it smells mildewy
    13. Repeat ad nauseum
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I've also heard that in Europe the washing machines and dryers are A LOT smaller than in the U.S. I wonder if it's true.
    I think it's true. If you mean dimensions, then the regular washing machines here are about - top loaders= depth: 24in; height:35in; width:16in.
    It's compact in the US.
    Front loaders are a bit bigger.

Don't know about dryers, they're probably smaller as well.

Everything is bigger in the US

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Why have you chosen warm-cold? Explain yourself!
    Warm-cold on whites because it cleans more efficiently. Whites are usually not going to fade from warm water (because they are white) nor will they likely shrink (because whites usually consist of: underwear, socks, towels, t-shirts that are all likely to be made of cotton).

Cold-cold on darks because it prevents the dye from bleeding as much (if it does bleed) which prevents the colors from fading. Also reduces expanding in the fabric, which prevents colors from fading because the fibers are wearing out due to the drastic change in temperature.

I set both loads on delicate to keep the washer from handling the fabrics too roughly (rough handling makes the clothes wear out far more quickly).
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

i put the things inside, try to guess where i'm supposed to put the liquid/powder and cross my fingers.

It nearly worked last time
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Mom's not home and I have nothing clean to wear. Help me out?
    You could buy some new, cheap emergency clothes to wear until you she comes back to wash them, if it's only one day.

Barring that, you could go to the nearest laundromat with your dirty clothes in hand and beg people to help you figure it out.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Just wash everything on cold with a cap full of laundry detergent. Hang to dry if you're scared they'll shrink in the dryer.

Fool proof.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Just wash everything on cold with a cap full of laundry detergent. Hang to dry if you're scared they'll shrink in the dryer.

Fool proof.
    Yeah, I am going to continue doing that. Shrinking clothes would be annoying.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post

Fool proof.
    This is what I do, unless it's visibly dirty or smells bad. I also hand-wash new items that have the potential to bleed out their colours. If they do bleed out their colours, then it's only inside the rubbermaid container rather than all over my other clothing.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

so, it's uncommon to hang clothes to dry, isn't it?
    that is what i do, it's what i learned growing up. when i was a kid we washed our clothes in the bathtub and hung them to dry in the backyard.
    now i have a washing machine, but i still hang-dry them.

also, i remembered - Maya (my girlfriend) does have one very old crocheted dress that i hand wash. the rest of the clothes are just throw them in on whatever settings for however long.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

^ I used to hang dry but my allergies got so bad that I couldn't do it anymore. Especially sheets. Nothing quite like having sweet,sweet,sweet smelling sheets on the bed and sneezing my hind end off every time I got my nose anywhere near the pillow. It's way too humid here in summer to do that anymore. Mold, mold and yes, more mold. Not to mention the pollen earlier in the spring.

But I did love to hang dry, though. When I had a big laundry day I could dry 3 loads outside and save my dryer for unmentionables and my better stuff. Saved lots of time and everything was usually dry in the same amount of time as one dryer cycle.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~