User Tag List

View Poll Results: If forced to choose between these two, would you prefer...

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Being an unknown independent owner of a scrapyard and making average amounts of money

24 57.14%
  • Being dependent on a manager but popular, admired, with lots of money

18 42.86%
123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

Default If forced to choose between these two, would you prefer...

I'm curious. Option 2 is general and could mean in a corporation or as a movie star, singer, etc.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Between which two? What are you talking about? It really depends on what the two choices are.

MBTI
    INTJ

Wow, that's a tough choice.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ENTJ

That's it, you can vote now.

I chose being an unknown owner of a scrapyard. I don't need lots of money. I don't want to be famous. I couldn't care less about being admired. What's crucial is that I do my own thing.

MBTI
    ENTP

Anything to avoid a lifetime of sucking corporate cock to be just another jerk in a suit.

The day I seriously consider buying a set of golf clubs is the day I commit sepuku. You can second me, Maverick to make damn sure I don't survive to become a weekend-villa-going, golf-clubs-in-the-BMW nightmare.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTJ

Too many variables. It depends mostly on the manager and whether or not I enjoy my job.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

And how "not in charge" are you with the second option? Realistically, just because you have a "manager" doesn't mean you're a 100% slave.

There are far more options, realistically, than 100% slave or 100% master. I have trouble thinking of anything that even DOES fit the extremes. Even authors who write their own books (and "do their own thing") still have to negotiate with the publisher and don't have 100% total control over what they write. But it's still a lot of freedom involved... certainly enough freedom for me.

Sorry. The poll just seems pointless to me. It's too restrictive.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'd want to be dependent on the manager... I wouldn't want all the responsibility of owning a scrapyard, especially if I could make more doing something else. The popularity might even make it easier to find another job via my connections if I were replaced/the company fell through for some reason, and I could save the extra money and invest some of it so I had something to fall back on.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    And how "not in charge" are you with the second option? Realistically, just because you have a "manager" doesn't mean you're a 100% slave.

There are far more options, realistically, than 100% slave or 100% master. I have trouble thinking of anything that even DOES fit the extremes. Even authors who write their own books (and "do their own thing") still have to negotiate with the publisher and don't have 100% total control over what they write. But it's still a lot of freedom involved... certainly enough freedom for me.

Sorry. The poll just seems pointless to me. It's too restrictive.
    Fucking P

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Anything to avoid a lifetime of sucking corporate cock to be just another jerk in a suit.

The day I seriously consider buying a set of golf clubs is the day I commit sepuku. You can second me, Maverick to make damn sure I don't survive to become a weekend-villa-going, golf-clubs-in-the-BMW nightmare.
    Oh yeah. I can sympathize with your point. The last thing I'd want to do is that too. It would be unbearable to have to deal with the superficialities and snobs in that domain.

However, it's a life that many people are after and desire. It's got to do with the success, the image, the prestige... To each and his own but that's not what would make me happy.

I'd rather be relatively unknown in a modest job, with more freedom,... but maybe have more time for myself and make sure that I avoid all the snobs.