User Tag List

View Poll Results: If forced to choose between these two, would you prefer...

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Being an unknown independent owner of a scrapyard and making average amounts of money

24 57.14%
  • Being dependent on a manager but popular, admired, with lots of money

18 42.86%
First 3456 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I've found some pretty cool stuff in the garbage in my lifetime. Yeah, i'm a latent baglady. I got my first keyboard stand, and some other furniture during my student years from dumpsters. I could have fun organizing a junk yard. Although i hate stinky smells. They make me gag. One thing that inspires me in life is to find treasures other people overlook. Yeah, i would rather run a scrap yard than be a hoity toit.
    Dumpster diving rocks.

A scrapyard, though, that is primarily scrapped vehicles. The good news is it normally isn't that smelly, the bad news is, the junk is mostly just old cars and scrap metal, not fun, interesting stuff. You have to remove the parts and sell them, either to people who need used parts or for scrap metal.

I really don't think I'd mind the dirt and stuff, I'd just have to be managing people because I'm probably not big and strong enough, nor skilled enough to be very efficient at part removal. Chances are I wouldn't be able to pay workers well and still break even, so I'd have trouble finding reliable help with the necessary skills. That would be a pain. Somebody would have to have a CDL with whatever necessary certifications for running the wrecker and maybe for hauling scrap. I'd have to have security to keep people from doing their own salvage operations at my place when I was gone for the night. Heck, if they got hurt trying to rob me blind, I'd probably be liable for damages. I'd have the EPA, OSHA, the city, state, and county to keep happy. Still politics, but with real politicians. Then all the tax stuff.

Too much of the same stupidity you deal with working for somebody else, with more risk and less money . . . If the money came out even it might be worth it just because you are going to be mostly dealing with XSTPs and they tend not to be illogical and concerned about stupid things, but for less money, I'd rather take the money, live as cheaply as my career allowed, and retire early.

But maybe that's because I'm more familiar with the blue collar sector and small business than I am with corporate crap. The scrapyard is closer to the devil I know and the other is more the devil I don't know.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

That isn't even a choice.

Working somewhere interesting > scrapyard.
    Working under a single manager > being totally independent, responsible for absolutely everything, so much stress and pressure
    More money > less money
    popular etc > unknown

There aren't even any downsides...

I'm kinda shocked that so many people chose the first option, especially since almost everyone in reality chooses to work under a manager of some sort.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I'm kinda shocked that so many people chose the first option, especially since almost everyone in reality chooses to work under a manager of some sort.
    This is a very interesting little experiment. What most people are doing is ignoring;

"You work for a charity and have contributed to many poor areas. Your name there is known as someone who has made life better for them. You are written up in the paper and well respected. As a result of your work, you earn a considerable amount of money and are able to support your family, secure your future and enjoy life."

And doing:

"You work in an attorney's office chasing ambulances because your boss tells you to. You're known for your exploitation of those suffering from unfortunate situations, doing so only because you are under the heel of a souless boss".

Not too many are going:

"You work in a scrapyard, working hard to make ends meet. You don't get any time off since you run the yard and you could never break through to something bigger."

What this indicates is conditioning against "working for the man" - a negative stereotype seems to come from that. Working in a large corporation, I have two of the best bosses I have ever had in my current position. I've started my own corporation, or attempted to. My dad works in a steel company. I have no illusions about how nice owning your own company is - I've struggled through it, my family has struggled through it and a couple of my friends have. Failure rate is high, work is high, stress is high... There is nothing nice about working in a "scrapyard", boss or not. My brother is in trades and while he has moved out of a similar job, he doesn't sing praises to working hard for moderate money just because he can work with his hands... just as my dad has worked for quite a few industrial parks and while he is the CFO, I've seen enough to know I don't want to be working there... or even have his job there. For both, there is nothing nice about running a team and being responsible for every little thing either... you don't escape that problem by "being your own boss".

While it is stressful coming to work and having 20 emails, like today, about the server migration (which is completely out of my control, but I am still the contact person in the department) and being told that I have to make the problems go away and really not being in a position to do anything... I think I'll take that, my five weeks of vacation, my paycheck, the schooling they offer and the security and freedom that those offer over the alternatives presented here.

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    This is a very interesting little experiment. What most people are doing is ignoring;

"You work for a charity and have contributed to many poor areas. Your name there is known as someone who has made life better for them. You are written up in the paper and well respected. As a result of your work, you earn a considerable amount of money and are able to support your family, secure your future and enjoy life."
    What kind of charity are you talking about? I'm yet to find one that pays a considerable amount of of money.

I was mainly thinking about a corporation when I made my choice.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Eve View Post
    What kind of charity are you talking about? I'm yet to find one that pays a considerable amount of of money.

I was mainly thinking about a corporation when I made my choice.
    Right, but that's the point. People aren't reading the question and answering the question. They are creating their own scenario based in their own previous experiences... in short, the answer is almost entirely conditioned.

You could replace charity with just about anything - medical research, etc. It could be something like an oil shipping company that brought in new safety measures, etc. It could be a phamaceutical company that cured a major disease/offered a cure to the public domain.

The negative aspects are all created, just as the positives are created. If the question is answered "as is" there is a clear better answer. The reason for the gap between the two is because we project a ton of baggage onto the corporate structure (namely bad bosses in this example) and vastly overrate the freedom we'd have if you were your own boss.

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

In my real life I don't work under management I am the management

I have my own business with my husband that ships and receives products across north america, the product comes from the UK And prior to that I had my own in home childcare business....
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by targo View Post
    In my real life I don't work under management I am the management
    Me too.

I wouldn't mind having a boss (), as long as I loved the job. Otherwise, the scrapyard sounds wonderful.

MBTI
    XNTX

Ok, I can tell you a real life scenario that happened and you can see what can unfold.

A friend on mines father was very high up in IT in a big consulting firm. He owned shed loads, but had grown tired of the corporate life.

He decided that what he needed was to do something interesting and more fun.. and make modest money.

So, he bought a franchise wine and lunch bar, they had the site, he just needed to put in the money and WOW! an instant fun, social and money making venture.

I STRONGLY recommended and implored that he should not get involved. (If he wanted to be more social and effectively "get a life" then he should work part time in his high paying profession (as a consultant) and then use his free time to undertake more leisure activities).

But no. The franchise it was to be.

Paid for the franchise and got the builders in to fit out. Poorly managed them and missed the Christmas trade. Then the business didn't make the sales required as its position wasn't ideal. He had a very long lease and had guaranteed it.

So, his business went bust, he lost his house, his wife divorced him and he "returned to Go" (Zero cash).

So, whats the moral. There's no problem with being in a suited and booted environment if you're earning plenty of cash. If you don't like it much then just go freelance or take temporary work. Many people don't seem to realise that retail and other businesses are just as (and indeed more) enslaving than working on the corporate ladder.

And by the by, my sisters husband actually owns a scap metal yard.... and has made a huge killing due to the ramp up in commodity prices... they stuff it into containers and ship to China....

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

With the way the two options are worded, option 1 sounds better, and option 2 sounds worse, simply because my motivation with anything has never been driven by popularity, making lots of money, and being a peon without any choices/independence, and reporting to an idiot manager, and rotting away in a cubicle.

BUT I certainly don't want to own my own business, as I'd end up spending much of my time worrying about that, and would end up working more hours keeping the thing up and running, and running well. Because I trust my own instincts/ability, and have a hard time delegating to people. I simply think I can do a better job, or more reliable job, than most people; thus, I like taking charge of my own tasks. So the reality for me with option 1 would be that I'd become miserable because my quality of life, as I want it to be, would be crap, because I'd end up working 10 hours a day, plus weekends.

Therefore I'd choose option 2, but not for the motivations outlined in it. I've had the crap jobs where I'm bitter and have become totally anti-corporation, but the reality is not all jobs are like that, and I'm now in a corp. job that I just love, and the fact that I have a manager doesn't even phase me, or irk me. For me, everything outside of job itself (although I have to LIKE the job and be challenged by it to be happy with my life as a whole) IS my life. So yeah, a job I like that gives me money to do what I want w/ my life - I'll take it. ;-) If I happen to become popular along the way? Well, that's just a bonus I guess. [But, hehe..'popular' has never been one of my self-descriptors]

MBTI
    INFJ

Out of the two, I'd choose the first option. Why? Because if option two, were to be something like a "superstar" i'd hate it. It wouldnt be enjoyable at all. People would be in your face and you'd never get the privacy you'd want. Also, being in the spotlight isn't something that appeals to me.