User Tag List

View Poll Results: If forced to choose between these two, would you prefer...

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Being an unknown independent owner of a scrapyard and making average amounts of money

24 57.14%
  • Being dependent on a manager but popular, admired, with lots of money

18 42.86%
First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I chose option one. Being dependent on a manager and being admired = politics and schmoozing up the wazoo. No thanks.
    You actually want all the responsibility and risk involved with owning a business, while making less money than you would at another job? Just to avoid... what? For the NT's, I know it's about independence, rebelling against authority, and perhaps liking risks, but you? I don't get it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Struggling to get by clinging to dignity only happens in the movies.
    Or on syndicated television, starring Redd Foxx.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    You actually want all the responsibility and risk involved with owning a business, while making less money than you would at another job? Just to avoid... what? For the NT's, I know it's about independence, rebelling against authority, and perhaps liking risks, but you? I don't get it.
    I'm telling you... Rorschach test It isn't a type thing... It's the way the question was asked. It's imbalanced to the point where people create the negative conditions associated to the "better" choice.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I'm telling you... Rorschach test It isn't a type thing... It's the way the question was asked. It's imbalanced to the point where people create the negative conditions associated to the "better" choice.
    What about people who have lived the negative conditions associated to the 'better' choice?

Actually i've been working out a strategy to maximize both offerings. The primary rule is to avoid being under the complete control of any one manager. You have to have at least a couple professional areas of gainful employment. By working for multiple managers, they cannot have the control over you. If they try it, they can be pitted against each other. I don't have all the bugs worked out, but there is something worth exploring here. I actually avoid the university professor market because of that indentured servitude mentality.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

What about people who have lived the negative conditions associated to the 'better' choice?
    But what does wanting to avoid politics and such have to do with money and stability? If you're choosing a career, you obviously want to minimize risk and responsibility while maximizing opportunity. I guess I just don't understand your choice. Actually, you do sound kind of independent minded, not wanting to be beholden to a superior. I guess you've been hanging around the NT's too long...

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

For me the most important part would be the type of job. Managing a scrapyard doesn't sound all that glamorous, so I chose the other one. To me, it's quite enough to be able to control what my job is, and even though I may not have total control over an entire company or project, there should still be a reasonable amount of options left open to me and a few opportunities for leadership.

If you changed the nature of the job to something I might like, I might change my decision.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I wish there were a Thinking equivalent to

It'd probably be...
    Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    How annoying. Refusing to make a choice because you don't like the poll. You're just opting out of the choice? What is it with you INxPeople? You think you're too good to make a choice? The whole point was to determine if you would be willing to accept major risk and responsibility along with less money in order to escape control, or whether you would prefer to sacrifice some control over your career/life in order to gain social and economic advantages. It's about freedom and autonomy vs. security and a little obedience.
    Thank you! You've perfectly gotten my point.

In the same way as we have a "preference" for E/I, F/T, etc. we also have preferences for our needs and we have different orders for them depending on our personality. The question determines which is your strongest need between the two. You have to commit to an option and make a decision. But if you can't or argue with it, that also says alot about you and your motivations!

Quote Originally Posted by targo View Post
    I instinctively and without much thought chose option one.... no I do NOT like to be famous or the center of attention or dependent on someone elses time line. I am far too flexible and laid back to have someone else tell me what to do and when.
    Agreed, I'm similar.

I chose option one. Being dependent on a manager and being admired = politics and schmoozing up the wazoo. No thanks.
    That's right, the politics... This is one of the reasons I'd prefer being some unknown person doing my own thing but having to deal with minimal amounts of politics. Of course, you still have to deal with clients, etc. But the politics are going to have a whole different tone than the ones involved in a corporation or as a celebrity. If you're not admired you have little to preserve anyway, and less to lose politically so to speak.

I look around me and I see people running for the dream of success... Wanting to be liked, admired and running up the corporate ladder... Some get a sense of pride and belittle people they see as inferior in status. When I think of all this, I think "I don't want to join the rat race". I'd rather have something modest but where I don't compromise my integrity, don't have to suck up and where I'm relatively independent. And, anyway, I prefer associating with the "normal" people than the jet-set. Just the thought of being with pseudo-intellectuals speaking injecting french words in every sentence and pretending to be art enthusiasts and have extended knowledge of the finer things in life makes me want to

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I've found some pretty cool stuff in the garbage in my lifetime. Yeah, i'm a latent baglady. I got my first keyboard stand, and some other furniture during my student years from dumpsters. I could have fun organizing a junk yard. Although i hate stinky smells. They make me gag. One thing that inspires me in life is to find treasures other people overlook. Yeah, i would rather run a scrap yard than be a hoity toit.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Just the thought of being with pseudo-intellectuals speaking injecting french words in every sentence and pretending to be art enthusiasts and have extended knowledge of the finer things in life makes me want to
    Why? Do you have a disdain for Art, French, and other aspects of the higher culture? I enjoy learning languages, I do know a little bit about art and artists, and sort of like sophisticated people. Maybe that's why I wouldn't be bothered?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick
    Just the thought of being with pseudo-intellectuals speaking injecting french words in every sentence
    Does it count if they're actually French and just can't think of the English word, or are doing it on purpose to catch out pretentious English speakers who are pretending they can speak French?

ANYWAY just because the scrap yard is making an average amount of money when I take it over or first set it up, doesn't mean it'll always be that way. Dammit, after a coupla years of me running it, it'd be a multi-national scrap metal megacorp, shipping 70% of the world's scrap, with a huge monopoly in Asia. Or something, heheh. I've run my own businesses for years and when I first set up when I was 18 everyone said I was nuts and said I'd be poor and stuff and should just take a stable job for the 'security' of it, and they all went into 9-5 office jobs on average wages. Within 2 years I was earning the equivalent of $85k per year while they were still slurping corporate schlong
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen