User Tag List

View Poll Results: If forced to choose between these two, would you prefer...

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Being an unknown independent owner of a scrapyard and making average amounts of money

24 57.14%
  • Being dependent on a manager but popular, admired, with lots of money

18 42.86%
First 12345 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Unless I have to use all the money from the second one, I'd go with it and save and invest, to over time try and build up independence if I so wanted. (Otherwise, the scrapyard one is fine.)

MBTI
    infp

I can't answer that, because what I want to do is something that makes me feel congruent and full of purpose. Something that would make me feel like I exist to do that, something that makes me feel like I'm making other people feel good or moved or something, and neither of those options allows for that more than the other.

MBTI
    ISTP

Let me see.

Have money? Support family? Have freedom? Retire early? Check

Admiration? Social connections? Respect? Check

Right. The only reason anyone would pick the other option with the information presented is pride.

The assumption made is that the "under the heel" is an unfair boss, a crappy job, a meaningless job. Sad to say that is the leap we all make when presented with these options. But with the information presented, it is pure pride not to pick the better answer. I don't even see this as a subjective answer. One has all the advantages and the other does not.

Just answer... who do you think works longer hours? Who do you think will support their family better? Who do you think will have more friends?

Just how many assumptions do we assume when we answer this question?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    And how "not in charge" are you with the second option? Realistically, just because you have a "manager" doesn't mean you're a 100% slave.

There are far more options, realistically, than 100% slave or 100% master. I have trouble thinking of anything that even DOES fit the extremes. Even authors who write their own books (and "do their own thing") still have to negotiate with the publisher and don't have 100% total control over what they write. But it's still a lot of freedom involved... certainly enough freedom for me.

Sorry. The poll just seems pointless to me. It's too restrictive.
    Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    I can't answer that, because what I want to do is something that makes me feel congruent and full of purpose. Something that would make me feel like I exist to do that, something that makes me feel like I'm making other people feel good or moved or something, and neither of those options allows for that more than the other.
    How annoying. Refusing to make a choice because you don't like the poll. You're just opting out of the choice? What is it with you INxPeople? You think you're too good to make a choice? The whole point was to determine if you would be willing to accept major risk and responsibility along with less money in order to escape control, or whether you would prefer to sacrifice some control over your career/life in order to gain social and economic advantages. It's about freedom and autonomy vs. security and a little obedience.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I'd sell the scrapyard, and use the money toward more lucrative business opportunities. But anyway I chose the scrapyard.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    It's about freedom and autonomy vs. security and a little obedience.
    I think it was only the perception of freedom. There is no indication that you are any freer by having your own "moderate, not really successful, not really known" company.

I dare say the VP of a major corporation is less beholden to his boss and the shareholders than the small businessman is to his suppliers/dealers/customers.

The whole question was a test of perception.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I think it was only the perception of freedom. There is no indication that you are any freer by having your own "moderate, not really successful, not really known" company.

I dare say the VP of a major corporation is less beholden to his boss and the shareholders than the small businessman is to his suppliers/dealers/customers.

The whole question was a test of perception.
    Well, yes, that's kind of how I saw it, too. I just felt that it was less of a sacrifice to just report to a boss everyday, and do what he wanted, than to be responsible for everything myself. And plus, if anything goes wrong, and I was doing what I was told, It's the bosses fault, not mine. In your own business, even if you make all the best decisions, luck can just turn against you.

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

I instinctively and without much thought chose option one.... no I do NOT like to be famous or the center of attention or dependent on someone elses time line. I am far too flexible and laid back to have someone else tell me what to do and when.
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Oooh, too late, I quoted you before you edited, ha!

Anyway I dig Economica. We're already acquainted. What's wrong with her, IYO, eh?
    Maybe you can post a pic of her that we all can check out!

(I was referring to the hugging emoticon that is theoretically uncommon for a mainstream INTJ.)

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I chose option one. Being dependent on a manager and being admired = politics and schmoozing up the wazoo. No thanks.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)