User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

Yes. My life is pretty conventional, nothing special, but fine.

At one point I thought "Wouldn't it be great being a CEO of a big company and making tons of money?".

Then I thought about how it would be time consuming. I'd be busy and wouldn't see my SO, family and friends that much. If I was rich, I wouldn't know what to do with the money. I'd be watching the same movies, only on a bigger screen. I'd be going to the same places, only with a nicer car. I'd listen to the same music, just on a more expensive stereo (and I wouldn't even notice the difference). I wouldn't meet better people and would end up meeting superficial and snobbish people that would irritate me.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

At this stage, I think I'd be most satisfied doing a remedial and simple job way below my intellectual capacity so that I can have more energy to pursue my hobbies.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    At this stage, I think I'd be most satisfied doing a remedial and simple job way below my intellectual capacity so that I can have more energy to pursue my hobbies.
    Have you considered being a janitor?

Anyway, my life is okay right now, I suppose (since I'm still living at home and going to community college), but I'm still waiting to see how I cope with my first job after getting through college... I'm a little worried I won't be able to handle it.

Socionics
    SLI

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I'm still young and in college, so I can't actually tell, but I'm doing pretty fine I think.
    Same here.

MBTI
    ISTP

No... And at no point will I be living the life I wanted. It's my nature to want beyond what I have.

However, I am on the path that will take me to what I want, although I'm sure I won't want it once I read the end.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I wanted to be an English professor. Then I had a child before I could get back to grad school after my BA. I ended up providing childcare in my home for several years so that I could be home with my children and still help keep us afloat financially.

I adore being a mother but for a few years I mourned not being on the path to be the 30 year old I thought I would be. At 30, though (about a year and a half ago), I stopped doing the childcare and started doing freelance writing and editing. Even though I'm only working very part time, I find that I hardly ever think about that lost path anymore-- the one I'm currently on is a lot more satisfying than I think the old one would have been. I just wasn't very well suited for childcare, I think. I love my own babies and I'm a nice lady, but it was working against me, personality-wise.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Sort of. I've made it to the right place to be what I wanted to be, and I'm doing work that puts me in the same general world as the people I want to emulate. The problem is that the lifestlye of this world is very taxing and disheartening unless you've achieved a certain level of success, and my window for success is rapidly closing. I'm beginning to entertain life-changing alternatives to what is really the only career path I had passion for.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

Not exactly...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Aven View Post
    So are you? I am not talking about the life you wanted when you were 5, but your expectations for yourself, perhaps realistic dreams [we don't have wings...yet], are you living that life? Are you in your way to living that life?
    No. No. Yes, quite possibly.

MBTI
    infp

I'm really to young to answer that, or at least I feel like I am. I'm in high school, so what I want my life to be is totally irelevant because there is not a lot of choice. You have to go to school, there is no career path to think of right now. There is post-secondary education to think of... but I'll get back to that. In terms of the things I do have to chose from, I'm pretty satisfied. I always take time to read books I enjoy, and to play music as much as I can. Those are the things I think I enjoy most. I always wanted to be in my school's jazz band, and now I am. I spend a lot of my time thinking about the future, adn what I want it to be. Thats why I can't truely answer the question; I have not constructed an idea of what my future should be.

About post-secondary education... it can sometimes cause me great distress, because I have no idea what I want to study. I'm worried that at the end of grade 12 I will not know what I want to study, and that my parents will make me apply for something anyway and I'll be miserable and unprepared and unmotivated. So far in school I have a few subjects I like but none I can picture myself studying in much greater depth. I think I'll probably figure it out though, but its still kind of a confusing thing.