User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What Tips Do You Have to Get to Sleep At Night?

Anew Leaf

I listen to ocean waves or other white noise sounds on my ipad. It usually puts me out within a few minutes (and I have always been an insomniac).

I also try to relax a good half hour to an hour before bed by doing quieter things... reading a book, taking a bath, listening to music, etc. The nights I have bad sleep are when I am reading email or playing video games in bed right before sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Some good suggestions in this thread. This is the biggest factor for me:

For me it's more like after ~1pm. Seriously!
    Yeah, me too. I try to build up my tolerance because as a grad student it's a great thing to have, but then I just dissolve my internal lining. I wonder if it's body-size related.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Don't look at lights before resting, even if they be computer lights. Doing so would tell your body that it's not time to go to sleep, which fools you into feeling nocturnal when you are actually following your diurnal habits of seeking out lights etc.

Accomplishing what you can during the day, whether it be work or play, helps because then your mind isn't sporadically thinking of new things to do even though you should be asleep.

I read somewhere once that imagination lures your brain into the same head-space as dreaming. Sounds crazy, but it really works for me.

I've got this alien guy who's my main protagonist and if I ever find myself having trouble sleeping I just start creating stories and adventures for him. I usually don't get very far cause it puts me right to sleep.

Senior Member Array Lily flower's Avatar

Exercise during the day really helps me. (I'm not a fan of exercise, but when I do exercise it helps a lot.) The more I sit on the couch, the harder it is to sleep at night.