User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Oh for a more generic listing while I think of it...

There are some things which've been prooven to have beneficial effect long term, rather than just "zomg I can't sleep tonight". Most of the stuff listed above is for a single night's restlessness.

- loose weight if overweight; gain weight if underweight (yes it exists jeeze)
    - eat about 5 smaller meals a day instead of 1-3 larger ones
    - exercise regularly, not just occasionally or before bed
    - keep a strict sleep schedule, attempt to not deviate from it for any reason
    - if yeu're tired and can't sleep, don't spend it in bed trying to sleep, yeu'll be gaining rest at the same time which'll slow down how quickly yeu tire, making it take much longer to actually sleep, so get up and do something that tires yeu as mentioned in above posts rather than lay there forever
    - clear conscience; yeu don't have to be religious, but many people find it very hard to 'go to sleep angry' or feeling guilt. If yeu have to talk to a friend or even speak out loud to yeurself or whotever, do so, because if yeu feel guilt for any reason, it will keep yeu up all night
    - doublecheck all little tasks required like chores; often restlessness can be attributed to just having a nagging feeling that yeu forgot to do something, it's worth doublechecking to be sure yeu didn't.
    - don't overexhert yeurself. Seriously, as stupid as it sounds, it's fully possible to be "too tired to sleep" just as it is to be "too hungry to eat".
    - avoid doing anything disturbing just before bed; while dreaming, yeur mind will attempt to break down things yeu saw during the day. Even if watching scarry movies late at night is traditional (and fun... I'm sooooo guilty of this XD ) it can lead to difficulties sleeping, or restlessness when asleep, or even waking up from nightmares (had that happen too >.< ). If yeu wait a few hours before sleeping after doing something like this, it helps a great deal as it won't be directly on yeur mind anymore

For quick referance, eating almost anything before bed works, the benfits of warm milk or turkey are vastly overrated. Yes they have chemical compounds in them which can be used to induce sleep, but in such miniscule amounts they have literally 0 effect as the liver just overrides them.

Oddly enough though, spicy food is a minor exception to this rule... even though something like jalapinos or cayenne may burn like hell at first (assumming yeu've not already built up a resistance), the reason WHY yeu build up a resistance to the heat is... it's actually a neurotoxin. Yes, yeu're literally eating poison. It's called Caspcian, which I probably spelled wrong but whotever, and a descent dose of it can help yeu sleep quickly.

Note that 'sleeping pills' and tranquilizers *DO NOT WORK*. Yes, they will knock yeu out, but a sleeping pill does NOT let yeu get any extra sleep. There's a difference between being knocked unconcious and actual restful sleep. Using sleeping pills and medication will only knock yeu out, meaning yeur body will not properly go into it's resting state, and yeu will not get REM sleep in most cases, meaning yeu'll still feel tired physically and mentally when yeu awake, and sure yeu were unconcious, but yeu got pretty much zero benefit out of doing so. The only time that yeu should be prescribed medications for this at all is if yeu can sleep fine but have issues getting to the sleep part, in which case a minor dose can be used to give yeu the nudge needed to unconcious, and yeu fall asleep after that. Far too often people rely on drugs these days to solve 'all their problems' which doesn't work most of the time... if properly prescribed for the right reasons, these CAN help in sleeping, but they won't do all the work for yeu. If yeu get given a large dosage, it's pretty much guaranteed not to work.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

No caffeine
    No naps
    Exercise daily
    No food right before bed
    Don't sleep in
    If you aren't comfortable, make yourself comfortable. Conditioning, fan, white noise machine, new mattress, humidity, etc etc

You'd be surprised at how many little things can effect your sleep.

I have sleeping problems. I have no problem falling asleep, but staying asleep is hard.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INTP

Beer
    Milk + Reading

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Marijuana always helped me get to sleep.

..what....it did.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

I like night exercise! But yeah, a lot of things other people mentioned already: no naps, regular schedule, no caffeine, no sleeping in, etc- also not looking into any sort of bright screens before you try and go to bed (like TVs and computers).

I think most problems I had getting to sleep were because I was really tense. Other than the regular sunlight and exercise, what really works for me is just winding down, relaxing while I go through a whole bedtime ritual. I'm a chronic overthinker, and counting just makes me more agitated, so I try and concentrate on breathing and visualize my mind as a still pond, and whenever a new thought tries to weasel its way in, I imagine a ripple/energy wave pushing it back onto the bank and out of my head. Even thoughts about not thinking get this treatment and most of the time this seems to work.

Or else I think about creating and solving a math word problem.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Orgasm.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    Orgasm.
    o___o;; Ummm....don't think that'll happen any time soon
    So he said to me "I love you, just not the way you want me to." I hit him, because he lied to me.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Taizic View Post
    o___o;; Ummm....don't think that'll happen any time soon
    Just had to check your age .. Phew.

You don't need a man darling.

As the song goes .. Women are doing it for themselves.

(Apologies if my forwardness makes you feel awkward)
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    Orgasm.
    I just got into this thread and I was thinking EXACTLY THAT! But you said it for me. Masturbate beforehand and you'll go right to sleep.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

just stay up all the way into the next day....or heck, even the day beyond that one. you'll fall asleep nice and early after that
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?