Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

kava kava
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

1) Moderate exercise during the day, but not right before bed.

2) Melatonin, about half the recommended dose.

3) Sex or masturbation

4) I find having a partner in bed beside me helps me fall asleep. Alas, that's not the situation for me at the moment.

5) Oh yeah, the white noise thing. I use a fan.

6) Also - try epsom salts scented with lavender in a super warm bath. It will make you feel so relaxed!
    Last edited by Thalassa; 08-22-2009 at 12:13 AM. Reason: fans and lavender

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Lots of Ambien or Diphenhydramine.
    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    3) Sex or masturbation
    Yeahhhhhh, these are my two favorite ways to fall asleep.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I'm not kidding about these:
    ----------------------------
    (1) Sex (masturbation is a close second)
    The opposite is true for females, though. It makes women more alert. (Right?)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Sniffles

Continually splashing your face with warm water(usually 10 or more times) often helps me.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Taizic View Post
    I have insomnia and parasomnia and can't get to sleep and constantly awaken at night. I've tried special yoga stretches, warm non-sugared tea, going to sleep early, not taking naps during the day...everything I could think of to get to sleep. Even the whole "Count the sheep" thing.

I had a sleep test, but it was pointless because we then didn't have the money to treat anything, so I'm stuck like this until we can afford anything else. So I was wondering if anyone here had the same problem, and/or you have some tips on how to get to sleep.
    Do you sleep alone? If not, try that. If you do, try not sleeping alone. Also, try reading in bed and not worrying about going to sleep. Trying to go to sleep results in not sleeping.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Melatonin (I buy it at Kroger)
    Firm pillow
    Near total darkness
    Quiet
    Podcast novel on iPod
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Try to cut down your sleeping time and keep it to specific hours.
    Like if you spend 6 hours a nite trying to get to sleep force your self to go to bed for 4.5 at the same times every evening if possible - exceptions for weekends - and get up exactly at the same time no matter how much sleep you get. And don't go to bed for any other time. Apparently that works. It was in a program called "10 things you never knew about sleeping". Also hot baths. Cause if you heat up the body then let it cool down that put you to sleep as your body thinks it nite time coming (I think?).
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

I'm not sure how well this would work for anyone else, but it tends to do so for me... strange though it is.

Basically I trick my brain into dreaming, as I have a mind that likes to change topics rapidly, this can be difficult to do at times.

The best way I've found to accomplish it is to actually do this odd exercize:

Attempt to explain something like... a television, to someone from about the dark ages, with the whole zomg burn a witch thing going on. Or a CD player or something yeu might have on yeu, thing is, this quickly branches off, to explain a cd player, yeu need to explain a cd, the idea of a laser, of radiation, light, photons, plastic, batteries, electricity, lightning, etc and it just keeps going, keep in mind yeu have to be careful to explain that it's NOT magic, and do so without getting burnt for heresy in the process.

Generally this works well enough for me that I can get to sleep within about an hour, since otherwise I'm generally up all night.

Yeur mileage may vary.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    EII

LOL Oh wow, stuff I've really not thought of at all before. One thing I know would help is if I COULD find someone to share my bed with (sex and masturbation just isn't my style lol) I wish my best friend could sleep over, but he lives so close there'd be no point But I'll try all this stuff, thanks guys lol
    So he said to me "I love you, just not the way you want me to." I hit him, because he lied to me.