User Tag List

First 12

Thread: drug testing

I'm pretty much against it too for most jobs. I do feel, however, that there are jobs where it should be crucial to ensure that the person isn't on drugs. Even marijuana.. Ever been on a pot binge and still felt the effects the next day? I would hate to think that someone who is suffering from brain fog might be flying my airplane or administiring IV meds before a surgery or handling a large bottle of caustic acid. I'm pro marijuana, even, but I can recognize that it can be dangerous in certain jobs.

So yeah.. it might be an invasion of privacy, but for **certain** jobs, it's a must.

Quote Originally Posted by RuffledINTP View Post
    I'm pretty much against it too for most jobs. I do feel, however, that there are jobs where it should be crucial to ensure that the person isn't on drugs. Even marijuana.. Ever been on a pot binge and still felt the effects the next day? I would hate to think that someone who is suffering from brain fog might be flying my airplane or administiring IV meds before a surgery or handling a large bottle of caustic acid. I'm pro marijuana, even, but I can recognize that it can be dangerous in certain jobs.

So yeah.. it might be an invasion of privacy, but for **certain** jobs, it's a must.
    For certain jobs, like the ones you mentioned, I see it as mostly personal responsibility in those cases, as you are responsible for other people's lives. I would never show up to fly a plane or do surgery while still hungover, from any drug legal or illegal. Unless, of course, I had done it before and knew I could do it again flawlessly

From a business perspective, it's their responsibility because they insure you to do that job. So if they're going to pay you to do that job, they also have a right to make sure you're always at your best capacity.

But what they should really rely on is people being responsible for themselves and their own actions.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by phoenity View Post
    From a business perspective, it's their responsibility because they insure you to do that job. So if they're going to pay you to do that job, they also have a right to make sure you're always at your best capacity.
    In theory this is a good idea, but like entropie said, coke makes him work better. Who's to say that drugs don't play a positive role in performing at work? I know I wouldn't want to put up with my job if I didn't have certain drugs (alcohol and marijuana) to come home to at the end of the day at least once a week.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

In agreement with entropie.

I think the only thing that matters is work productivity... if the drug doesn't have any negative impact on the quality and turnaround time of the employee's work who cares what he's on? It's his personal business.

The employee should only be reprimanded if his work suffers. Even then... only on his work performance and nothing else.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Unless I'm signing my life away to the military or for a career with the FBI or something of that nature (where you are expected to be "on" most of the time), I resent the idea that it's any of my employer's business what I do outside of work, provided it doesn't reflect badly on the company.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

I find it funny that Starbucks doesn't drug test. They can't because they'd be hypocrites.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

Quote Originally Posted by The Decline View Post
    In theory this is a good idea, but like entropie said, coke makes him work better. Who's to say that drugs don't play a positive role in performing at work? I know I wouldn't want to put up with my job if I didn't have certain drugs (alcohol and marijuana) to come home to at the end of the day at least once a week.
    I wasn't referring to the office job that Entropie works. That comment was speaking from a business perspective, specifically a business that accepts a lot of liability for the work you perform, perhaps work where you are responsible for other people's lives. In a situation like that, it should ultimately come down to personal responsibility, you should decide whether you have the capacity to perform this work. But in the event the worst were to happen, the business is responsible, not the individual.

I'm not completely for or against drug testing, as I think it's entirely situational, so I'm just offering different points of view.

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    And then there could be lawsuits against you by employees, who feel offended by your ways of ever thinking they would take drugs.
    Nope. Most companies make you sign a contract stating that they can fire you for any reason.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I'm not trying to sound too much like a liberal (because that would be badd!) But I think drug testing is cheap.

It reminds me of cops that hide behind bushes. You don't know they're there, but they will find you and they will bust you. Even if you weren't really booking it.

I also think that some people should have the decensy to not come into work under the influence. But that's a pretty general statement. Sometimes people work better when they're on drugs, sometimes they wouldn't be able to work if it weren't for drugs, etc etc.

But for those who are inconsiderate enough to come into work on drugs where it effects others, the outcome of their work, the outcome of others work, and the business, then it is irresonsible and selfish. It should be a moral issue, not a legal.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

For most jobs it's pretty stupid, and I agree - if you can do the job, you should keep the job.

Jobs where public safety is at stake would probably be an exception. People that use something stronger than marijuana shouldn't be trusted to administer meds, people that operate heavy equipment, etc. In those jobs, the way you find out there is a problem is usually that someone gets hurt.

My husband's company does random drug testing and we don't really have a problem with it because he drives a truck. We don't want stoned truckers driving around, and the price of that for us is that he is occasionally inconvenienced by having to pee in a cup on short notice.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers