User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ

I used to work crazy long hours for a huge US software company.

One of the quietly voiced lines was "We have a flexible 8 hour day - you get to choose which 8 hours you don't work."

It is easy to ignore the feeling of fatigue and brain fog when engaged with a task AND you are burning to get it done (just to move on from it or to meet a deadline).

Sometimes I would be at the office (in the days before telecommuting...) until 2am struggling with a task. Just getting nowhere, but unwilling to give up until I just had to abandon it to get home for a sleep and a shower....

I would find out the general state of my brain fatigue, if after going home and even only getting a few hours sleep I would return to work not so bright but very early and the solution came within 5-10 minutes. AND it was so frigging obvious. Painfully obvious and easy. Yet I might have worked on it for 4-5 hours the night before.

So in a long project, that was my sign I needed to watch how long I spent on a task because fog/fatigue had set in and my perceptions of things my not be so clear. The first time that happenned was my signal to ease back a bit and step back from any challenge to give myself a chance to "freshen up".

MBTI
    INTJ

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Since lately I've taken up some obligations and thus almost all my days are busy, I am taking preemptive action to avoid burnout. I have never had to execute so much "mental" work for many hours a day, so I have no clue how much my body can stand it. Before I've cycled semi-professionally so I know how much I can take physically and recognize the symptoms of overtraining, but what are the signals of mental fatigue? How much can you people handle in terms of mental work (I want to know this in order to have a measure stick)?
    When my thoughts won't flow any more.
    When I can't take in any more information.
    When I type wrong words.
    When I say a word different from the one I meant to say.

Basically, when you can no longer trust your brain.

MBTI
    INTJ

The signs that an ENTJ (and ESTJ incidentally) are stressed out:

• excessively sensitive to their own emotions and others' emotions,
    • interpreting comments from others as personal criticism,
    • losing control of their emotions,
    • being overwhelmed by feelings and working extra hard to hide them

paraphrased from Beside Ourselves
    by Naomi L.Quenk

MBTI
    INTJ

Recently I've been feeling burnt out alot. I feel overwhelmed when I have too many obligations. I find that I can really push myself because my "J" is very strong so I feel the need to complete and resolve things.

When I do get burnt out, I lose all control of my emotions, I will cry for no reason, I will see everything as being so negative that the world will look like it's ending. I recently went through that when I lack sleep, I have problems sleeping when I am overwhelmed and burnt out. It's a bad cycle for me and yet I can't seem to control it. I tend to push myself too hard and then I get very on edge...although pt does calm me down quite a bit...
    Sorry for any typos, spelling or grammer errors but I'm a bit preoccupied planning my wedding.
    Or if you want to read more about me and help me gain more insight to your world (I do need more experiences in life), feel free to skim through my blog.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Thanks. I've decided to take a day completely off going biking on the mountains, that's surely going to be refreshing.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Thanks. I've decided to take a day completely off going biking on the mountains, that's surely going to be refreshing.
    So, are you refreshed?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Yes; I went to the mountains near my gf's home and then remained there for 2 days before returning to the daily city routine and responsibilities. To be repeated next weekend.

MBTI
    INTJ

When I start going "Sleep? What is this sleep you speak of?"

I am so sleeping in tomorrow.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments