User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    IsTP

I remember a family reunion where I had several beers, and one of my relatives came up to me and started talking to me. I sort of half-interrupted her and blurted "Who are you?"

The inflection of my voice was all wrong, I could tell by the awkward pause before she explained I was a second cousin and quickly excused herself.

I still feel very bad about it
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    1. plead insanity
    2. curl up into a ball until the aftermath has run it's course

That's really odd, surely April was flattered at the very least
    April was always cool in tense moments, and she was the first one to speak into the vast gaping silence that followed.

She said "[Jennifer], you don't say things like that in front of his family! Come on now!" and then she kind of jump-started the group conversation again.

And I didn't strangle Jennifer... God alone knows why.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Jennifer. Ouch. lol.

I emailed someone some time ago asking them why they had done something. The response was me getting ripped a new asshole.
    Although i badly wanted to reply as it did hurt. I walked away.
    I rationalised that the behaviour was rude and by doing the same i would be rude also (even though it would of felt great)

Not sure what else i have done that would be considered rude, i am sure there is something though.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    April was always cool in tense moments, and she was the first one to speak into the vast gaping silence that followed.

She said "[Jennifer], you don't say things like that in front of his family! Come on now!" and then she kind of jump-started the group conversation again.
    Oh yeah, sh*t. Now I remember. She really did put me in my place.
    I think I wanted to crawl under the table too!

... because I'm adorable and vulnerable and adorably vulnerable and vulnerably
    adorable?

(Answer #2: Because I'm a looker?)

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    I emailed someone some time ago asking them why they had done something. The response was me getting ripped a new asshole.
    Although i badly wanted to reply as it did hurt. I walked away.
    I rationalised that the behaviour was rude and by doing the same i would be rude also (even though it would of felt great)
    yeah, sigh. Often if someone does something rude, the best thing to do is trust that everyone else is picking up on the rudeness and just let the action/comment speak for itself.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Willfrey View Post
    I remember a family reunion where I had several beers, and one of my relatives came up to me and started talking to me. I sort of half-interrupted her and blurted "Who are you?"

The inflection of my voice was all wrong, I could tell by the awkward pause before she explained I was a second cousin and quickly excused herself.

I still feel very bad about it
    I've done similar to an acquaintance before, she walked up to me out of nowhere and I suddenly blurted out "what are you doing here?". I failed to use an appropriate tone of voice... I'm certain that I offended her, although she didn't show it.
    5 3 9

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post

wow. horrible good story you guys. i can't believe april said that though. that implies such guilt, like 'let's hide our flirting behavior for when family isn't around.' yikes. i bet you got the Inquisition later, haha. i wound have said (if i were april), "yeah, obie is sure nice to all of us girls" *walk up and fiddle with your collar and give a cute shruggy smile* or "work is a little dull, ya know, you gotta pass the time......" *shy smile*. uggghhhhh. those are not better, are they?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

In my early 20's I randomly repeated some random crap someone had said about how a religion acted where she was from. Turns the person I was talking to was that religion.

Let's hope I'm more mature now?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

ahh, you just reminded me Elaur... There was always this little unkempt lady who would preach "jesus is coming back" or something similar, right next to my bus stop. I'd always just watch the people walk past and react to her relentlessly aggressive style of spreading the love and most people would just ignore her. So I was with one of my friends one day and I was bored, so I waddled up to this preacher and asked her for this pamphlet to read, which was full of typical religious views. Just before the bus came, the preacher came up to me and asked what I thought, and I smiled (almost giggled with evil delight) and said "Jesus is over-rated". Some people smiled at the remark as they hopped onto the bus... It was rather tactless on my behalf, but if I could have thought of something wittier to say, I don't think I would have even hesitated, regardless of how cruel. I think I might refrain from approaching preachers in the future :\
    5 3 9

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Oberon and I used to work together in the early/mid-'90's.

We had a coworker (let's call her April) who Oberon -- along with most of the male population of the company and outside -- found very attractive... outgoing, tanned, long blond hair, very engaging.... not at all a wallflower like moi.

One day (in private) he told me that she was a real looker.
    He thought I would keep that in confidence... and I had planned to.

Some time later we were all over at one of our coworker's houses -- and April was there, and Oberon and his wife was there, and while I cannot remember what the conversation was or WHY I said it, for some stupid idiotic reason I exclaimed, "<Oberon> said that April's a real looker!"

Then repeated it more loudly because not enough people had heard me the first time.

Right in front of his wife.
    And April.
    And Oberon.

Silence dropped over the room. Oberon wanted to crawl under the kitchen table.

I don't think I've ever made such a stupid, senseless, socially rude gesture before or after that.
    I still don't know why I did it.
    I guess I just got caught up in some twist in conversation and it was funny in context (but not really).
    I certainly wouldn't do it now.
    LOL.

That's one of those jokes that's technically funny, but it makes everyone look bad. I can easily imagine a situation in which that would have been an amusing comment to interject. It's very easy to think of comments that are amusing, but very few of them are appropriate enough that people can laugh at them. This is one of those that you snicker to yourself about when it comes to mind, and then lie about why you're laughing if someone asks you.

That reminds me. One of the other ways I embarrass myself is laughing when someone tells a highly inappropriate joke, and everyone else feels the offense before getting the humor, preventing them from seeing it. While I'm left standing there blushing while trying to suppress a laugh and stammering, "That's (hehe) not (hehe) funny," covering my mouth with my hand, perhaps even trying to make myself cough in order to make it sound like I just had a cough. I seem to find myself laughing at anything that remotely resembles a pun or other verbal joke, even if it's in bad taste. I'm too easily amused in some ways.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    ...even trying to make myself cough in order to make it sound like I just had a cough.
    Ah, there you go -- classic maneuver to cover up amusement.
    (It beats faking a seizure in terms of subtlety.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft