First 23456 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    That is true, and of course I won't retell the story.
    I'll be honest... I came in here to post it myself, but once you brought it up, i changed my mind!

I believe you're much more aware of conversational nuance now than you were then anyhow.
    you can say that again.

*waits with baited breath*

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I dislike rudeness - both in practice and as a counter-response to a perceived "rude" gesture. It's been my experience that most rude behavior stems from miscommunication.
    I was on another forum the other day and some young guy started a thread venting about this date he had. The girl was texting her friends when they showed up, and right after they sat down, she texted another friend. He was pissed, went in the bathroom... then never came back to the table. Yes, he just ditched her and left her sitting there waiting for him to come back.

He was venting about HER rudeness, but most of the forum seemed to hand him his own butt on a plate. She was rude in her own way, but it was something that could have been communicated -- his response was far more rude than her behavior.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    Is there anyone who actually likes them!?! lol... I guess if you were able to conceal yourself behind them you would, but that would be rather cowardly right?
    yes and also sometimes people need to be put in their place. is it my job to do so? probably not, but i was very quiet growing up and put up with a lot of shit so now it's my turn to help those who can't speak up for themselves. kind of reminds me of this curb your enthusiasm episode where larry thinks, "maybe one day i'll get a chance to do something good for somebody like that". BEWARE IT'S RUDE!
    Time is a delicate mistress.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'll be honest... I came in here to post it myself, but once you brought it up, i changed my mind!
    Well, if you want to tell the story, feel free. I won't object either way.

you can say that again.
    But why would I do that? [blinkety blinkety]

*waits with baited breath*
    That's bated breath.

And the rudest thing I do on a regular basis is to correct other people.

MBTI
    INTP

I do consider honking rude. Like Jennifer said, it's like ordering someone to come to your car, rather than taking the time to come get them. And it disturbs the whole neighborhood, rather than just alerting the person you're coming for. Why not text him from the driveway to say you're there?

Having said that, I wouldn't consider honking to be at the top of anyone's list for the rudest thing they've EVER done.

Like others have said, most of my rudenesses have been retaliatory or accidental. I'll try to think of a good one.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by durentu View Post
    Perhaps a better question is "what's the rudest thing you've seen" because rudeness is a clash of value systems.

The one being rude is operating well within their own system

The victim of rudeness is in a situation outside of their own system.

So basically, rude people don't know they are being rude, when it's really* rude.
    I disagree. Rudeness can come from ignorance of another's norm, impaired judgment (people are often much ruder under the influence) or deliberate intention.
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    ENTJ

The rudest thing I ever did happened a couple of years ago, and it was unintentional. I was having lunch with my favourite professor (this was during undergrad) and I didn't hear him properly. I thought he was suggesting that I randomly apply to do a post grad degree at university X for some unknown reason. So I responded: "why would I do that? I don't think so!" followed by a possible small eyeroll. He immediately excused himself, looking flustered, and walked away. I never saw him again (it was the last day of classes when we had lunch).

Going over the exchange again later I realized the university he had recommended was one he had just accepted a job at, and he was proposing I apply to that Uni to do my grad work under him. Which is, of course, a huge compliment, and an even huger one coming from someone I basically idolized.

To this day I cringe and feel awful thinking about that. I never had the guts to e-mail or call him and tell him it was a misunderstanding. Cuz I'm a fucking coward. All I did was buy his book when it came out so at least he got some $ off me.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I hit my father.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Well, if you want to tell the story, feel free. I won't object either way.
    Oberon and I used to work together in the early/mid-'90's.

We had a coworker (let's call her April) who Oberon -- along with most of the male population of the company and outside -- found very attractive... outgoing, tanned, long blond hair, very engaging.... not at all a wallflower like moi.

One day (in private) he told me that she was a real looker.
    He thought I would keep that in confidence... and I had planned to.

Some time later we were all over at one of our coworker's houses -- and April was there, and Oberon and his wife was there, and while I cannot remember what the conversation was or WHY I said it, for some stupid idiotic reason I exclaimed, "<Oberon> said that April's a real looker!"

Then repeated it more loudly because not enough people had heard me the first time.

Right in front of his wife.
    And April.
    And Oberon.

Silence dropped over the room. Oberon wanted to crawl under the kitchen table.

I don't think I've ever made such a stupid, senseless, socially rude gesture before or after that.
    I still don't know why I did it.
    I guess I just got caught up in some twist in conversation and it was funny in context (but not really).
    I certainly wouldn't do it now.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Oberon and I used to work together in the early/mid-'90's.

We had a coworker (let's call her April) who Oberon -- along with most of the male population of the company and outside -- found very attractive... outgoing, tanned, long blond hair, very engaging.... not at all a wallflower like moi.

One day (in private) he told me that she was a real looker.
    He thought I would keep that in confidence... and I had planned to.

Some time later we were all over at one of our coworker's houses -- and April was there, and Oberon and his wife was there, and while I cannot remember what the conversation was or WHY I said it, for some stupid idiotic reason I exclaimed, "<Oberon> said that April's a real looker!"

Then repeated it more loudly because not enough people had heard me the first time.

Right in front of his wife.
    And April.
    And Oberon.

Silence dropped over the room. Oberon wanted to crawl under the kitchen table.

I don't think I've ever made such a stupid, senseless, socially rude gesture before or after that. I still don't know why I did it. I certainly wouldn't do it now.
    1. plead insanity
    2. curl up into a ball until the aftermath has run it's course

That's really odd, surely April was flattered at the very least
    5 3 9

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    1. plead insanity
    2. curl up into a ball until the aftermath has run it's course
    I think he did the logical thing: Denied he had ever said it.
    (But since everyone knew Oberon and April and how April flirted with everyone, I don't think anyone believed him.)

That's really odd, surely April was flattered at the very least
    I'm sure. Maybe outwardly offended I'd embarrass Obie like that, but still flattered. I'm not sure what type she was... just the sort that would bring guys running for miles away to buy her drinks if she walked into any bar. (of course, I loathe her... nawp, j/k. )